Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
15 hp motor ... questions on which to buy
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]OK friends, here's the deal,[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]I am now ready to buy a new motor to replace my 6 horse Evenrude. The one I have is a great little piece of engineering but it don't get me to where I want to go as fast as I like. Sooooo, I'm going to break down and buy me a new one. A new 15 hp four stroke for my 14 foot Gregor aluminum.[/size][/font][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2] [/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]I need your help. WHAT BRAND SHOULD I BUY??? or even better, what brand should I stay away from?[/size][/font][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2] [/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]I like the features of the Johnson, but I am leaning toward the reputation of a Mercury. Or am I missing something great about another brand?[/size][/font][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2] [/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]Are 15 horse pull starts hard to pull? Should I get electric start on a 15 hp.?[/size][/font][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2] [/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]A short shaft would fit my boat best but I am considering a long shaft so that some day I can use it for a kicker on a larger boat. Any thoughts on that?[/size][/font][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2] [/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]Questions ... questions ... questions. This is a pretty pricey investment for me so I'd love to hear from anyone with an experienced opinion. [/size][/font]
[signature]
[Wink] Hey Coot , You already own the brand, just move up to a 15 hp !! I owned one when I had a smaller boat , now my brother owns it and we both never had any problems !! Also 2 friends own them too , and they don't have anything bad to say about it !

Flagmanonice ...........................
[signature]
I will stongly recomend if you are buying a new one, get a mercury they have the new 4 stroke motors that do not take mixed oil. the new modles mandated by the epa.

the mercury moters are lighter than other moters, and you will want to watch your weight on the smaller class boats. they also hould up well. you will get the best resale value out of a mercury if you have to sell it.

from what I have seen on the larger boats using this motor as a backup, they are using pull starts. A new one should start like a champ and continue to do so if you take care of it.

this will be the last motor you buy, (I am assuming you reached 40) these motors seem to run for ever. I am saying this because of their past track record of reliability. the new 4 strokes have not realy been on the market to realy make the claim I made.

there are a number of lakes that this motor is manditory on and more being added to the list every day.
[signature]
What are you doing with your 6 horses? My friends 3 horse antique should really be put on display and it's good for high speed trolling at best in his little aluminum boat.
[signature]