Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
how long of a rod?
Im thinking of getting or Santa may get me a 3wt rod.
I would be using it in small creeks with trees and bushes
aroud them, maybe even over head.
How long of a rod would be good for that in 3wt ?

Peter
[signature]
Seven to Eight and a half. I have a six foot three and really don't care for it, but then I am not a big THREE fan.[Wink]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3][Image: happy.gif]8' to 8½'sounds good to me. I like my 8½' Orvis 3 wt. A DT line would work well particularly when it comes to roll casting. I have a 3 wt line that I also use on my 2 wt rod. Guess who suggested the 3 wt DT? Will she please stand up and be recognized. lol[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
I'd recommend a 7 and a foot length for a 3 wt. I had an Orvis T3 in that size and was great for small brushy creeks and tight canyon walls. Great for smaller trout but could pull a 25incher out of rapid water when tested each fall. Unfortunately I fell and broke it and my finger one fall. My finger healed fine but Orvis didn't carry that length in a T3 any longer and sent me a 8ft 4in 3 wt T3 as a replacement. Used it once- just way too long for the same application. For a 7 ft rod I prefer 2 wt over the 3 wt and by the time you reach 8 ft I prefer a 4 wt.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3][img]../../../images/gforum/happy.gif[/img]Hey Riverdog thanks for your input. Perhaps it is hard to recommend a rod size unless one know what other wt & length rods the person also owns. I have a 7' two wt so I wanted a longer 3 wt. If I didn't have the latter a 7½' would be my choice.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
My 2 weight is 7'9" and I like that allot. I had a 3 weight the same length, but gave it to the hubby as I prefer the 2. Then I go to the 4 weights, which I have several 7' and one 8'6". I bought a 7' 6" 4/5 blank I will be putting together this fall.
I think 4 is my favorite, but I have the Orvis 1 ounce full flex, the Trout Bum 4 weight full flex, a Lamiglass, and 2 bamboo...so being full flex makes those 2" fish just as fun as my faster action 2 weight.
I used the Trout Bum on some trophy size Bluegill once.....the tip ALMOST touched the handle...what a blast.
[signature]
[quote flygoddess]My 2 weight is 7'9" and I like that allot. I had a 3 weight the same length, but gave it to the hubby as I prefer the 2. Then I go to the 4 weights, which I have several 7' and one 8'6". I bought a 7' 6" 4/5 blank I will be putting together this fall.
I think 4 is my favorite, but I have the Orvis 1 ounce full flex, the Trout Bum 4 weight full flex, a Lamiglass, and 2 bamboo...so being full flex makes those 2" fish just as fun as my faster action 2 weight.
I used the Trout Bum on some trophy size Bluegill once.....the tip ALMOST touched the handle...what a blast.[/quote]

Ok, now this may sound kinda stupid but here it goes-
how many rods do you have girl ?
[signature]
I could tell you but, I would have to kill you[laugh][laugh][laugh]
Seriously, I would have to go count, but a bunch. Like women and purses, but I never got into purses[cool]
[signature]
[quote riverdog]I'd recommend a 7 and a foot length for a 3 wt. I had an Orvis T3 in that size and was great for small brushy creeks and tight canyon walls. Great for smaller trout but could pull a 25incher out of rapid water when tested each fall. Unfortunately I fell and broke it and my finger one fall. My finger healed fine but Orvis didn't carry that length in a T3 any longer and sent me a 8ft 4in 3 wt T3 as a replacement. Used it once- just way too long for the same application. For a 7 ft rod I prefer 2 wt over the 3 wt and by the time you reach 8 ft I prefer a 4 wt.[/quote]

Im sorry but was that - 7 feet or did you mean 7 and a half feet ?
[signature]
You know the FAMOUS seven and a........ foot rod. Maybe that is the old 8 foot that got caught in the car door[laugh]
It could be 7' 4", or 7' 6", or 7' 8" - 9" - 11" sooooooo many possibilities[laugh][laugh]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3][Image: dumb.gif]Now if you asked that question of TubeN2 he would say several hundred of all types of rods. Perhaps he will stop by and give us a count of his fly rods.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
Fly rods? I thought he was Lures and Bait and Spinning, with a couple of LONG sticks?
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3]Yes he does mostly spinning & bait but from what I recall he also has some rods for fishing the salt. He use to tie salt flies. [/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
[quote flygoddess]I could tell you but, I would have to kill you[laugh][laugh][laugh]
Seriously, I would have to go count, but a bunch. Like women and purses, but I never got into purses[cool][/quote]

Yeah, I understand. I stoped cauting my purses long
time a go.......................[Smile]
[signature]
[quote flygoddess]You know the FAMOUS seven and a........ foot rod. Maybe that is the old 8 foot that got caught in the car door[laugh]
It could be 7' 4", or 7' 6", or 7' 8" - 9" - 11" sooooooo many possibilities[laugh][laugh][/quote]

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh I seeeeeeeeeeeee. [Smile][Smile][Smile][Smile]
[signature]
Peter.. you will learn that when it comes to fly fishing our FG has it all.. there are very few posts of any kind where she does not have at least one of what is being talked about.. she is a wealth of information and all of it comes from her experiences on the water.. and to top it all off she is one of the sweetest, warmest, and most giving people that I have ever talked to..

if I had to guess I'd say she probably has 30 rods or more.. plus the reels, lines etc to go with them.. put on top of that the fly tying she is a one stop information person with the gear to show you what she is talking about..

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
he showed me several of the salt flies that he ties and uses when he can that day we all met up on that lake off the 15.. quite a collection.. plus.. that day he carried what looked like a stack of rods that would remind you of that picture of the fly rod stock that you posted on ebay.. must of had 10 -15 rods and reels with him.. put his gear with the rods and reels that MacLarry and I brought on the pontoon boat that day.. we could of held a fly fishing garage sale that day.. LOL..

and dont forget bedno 10+ pound trout he caught just before we ended our fishing for the day.. :-)

MacFly
[signature]
By now I KNOW that FG is a very good person and
great fly fisher lady. It sure would be pleasure to meet
her once and fish with her (and her old man if he want)[Smile]

Peter
[signature]
Peter, I meant 7 and a half foot but seven and any inches is a good ballpark. Flygoddess was a whole wharehouse of rods at her house. If you ever want to try out a certain size rod just arrange to meet her. After she gives you the tour you just mention that you real wish you had a certain rod ( or fly or braided leader for that matter) and she'll be putting the rod in your hands for a try out. By the way Joni, I hope I thanked you for the rod, hardwood net, braided leader and muscrat mouse and worm flies that you've supplied me with.[fishin]
[signature]
there are quite a few on this forum that would like to meet her and mojo.. and dont forget Baxster.. and going on the water with them would be an awesome day for sure..

MacFly [cool]
[signature]