Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Time for a camera holder
Caught my best largemouth so far in Virginia, a seven-pounder at Lake Shenandoah last Saturday. At least that's what the scales at the bait shop indicated. It was nearly too big for my landing net and was so heavy that I couldn't hold it up with one hand to take a picture with a cell phone in my other hand. Best I could do is hold it beside my Eagle fishfinder for scale. Now I see the wisdom of rigging a mounted camera to properly record such an occasion. And adding to my anxiety was the fact my cell phone was almost out of battery. I was thinking I wasn't going to get any proof.

To celebrate, my wife of nearly 38 years took me to Bass Pro in Richmond, 'cause I couldn't find any oil to lube my reels. I passed up on Hot Sauce for some Reel Butter, which is supposed to be good for bearings. So I recleaned a once-great Daiwa baitcaster that I'd given up on, and it's now good as new. Not a bad day! And a three-day weekend is coming up. God is good.

I caught the lunker on an ugly triple-jointed Japanese lure that cost $1.50 on eBay. ( I think you can still get them at a low price.) I was working it shallow along the outer edge of a weed bed where it had caught two and three pounders the past three weeks. But the big bass was real hungry. It already had two good-size perch in its throat before getting greedy with the five-inch lure.
[signature]
That is a VERY nice LMB. Im glad you got those pictures.
Scott made a great camera boom for his float tube and
posted pictures of it here. Just look it up.
I need to make one of those as well for all those world
records I catch every day. Yeah right !!![Smile]
But really, camera boom looks like a great idea. Let
us know what you come up with.

Peter
[signature]
AWESOME TOAD! Shigspeed also made a great camera holder.
I have been kicking around the idea also, but my camera is all manual. No remote. Now a camera with a remote would be ideal...oh and at least water resistant.
[signature]
Yeah, all that plus the fact I haven't had such a photo-op problem until last Saturday. I hadn't needed a landing net since moving to Virginia. My previous largest bass, upon finding itself hooked, streaked for deep water straight into my net. There he was, trapped head first in the mesh without much of a struggle. Almost made me want to release him to see what fight he'd put up. I'm generally happy when a VA fish can legitimately pull drag.

So on one hand buy a remote-operated camera and rig it for special occasions or just tow the toad back to the dock and hand my cell phone cam to a bystander? -- only make sure the picture is in focus this time. Money being an object these days, I've still gotta go with the cheap solution.
[signature]