Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bunny Gulch Mixed Bag
[Smile] Thursday afternoon, I realized I wouldn't have anything to do at the office on Friday. I had read Tubedudes Starvation report from Tuesday and thought it sounded fun, so I decided to make a preemtive strike on the holiday weekend and head out to Starvation Friday morning - all by my lonesome. I hadn't fished Starvation in probably 15 years.

I was on by ~7:15AM (sorry about the pic-free post, my camera decided to go swimming in the Uintas a couple of weeks ago, and I'm waiting for Canon to start shipping the one I want to replace it - due to arrive sometime in October). It was a little breezy for starters, water temp 64 degrees and the air temp pleasant but slightly cool. It was a beautiful full moon and I was wondering how that might affect things. But, even a bad day fishing. . . .

It took me a while to find my first Perch, and I never did locate any large schools that wanted to play. But again, I was working my way up the learning curve. 27' of water seemed to be the depth I could catch them at. By 11:00AM the breeze had let up but the bite seemed to be letting up as well, and the PWC crowd was now raising a ruckus. I never could figure out how to catch any Perch on Tubedue's floating jig (Flig)/crawler rig. But, I had 10 nice perch between 10"-12", so I decided to go over to a rocky point and try for a Smallie or two.

I started tossing a 3" Senko (wacky rigged and drop shotted) and promptly picked up a 13" Perch - go figure? Shortly after I decide to try a jig and quickly go bit by an 8" Smallie. I continued fishing the jig in the same area when sumpthen big grabbed it. It was strong and was digging deep. I thought Walleye? But I quickly changed my mind when it tail-walked across the water in front of me - I was stunned. A beautiful 24" Brown trout with big shoulders was soon carefully brought to the net - wow! I would have paid good money for a camera at that moment - what a spectacular fish, and one of the larger Browns I've ever caught. I decided a fish like that looked and fought much better than it would taste, so back in the drink he went to be caught again another day.

Soon after, I picked up an 18 Wally and then another Smallie all from the same rocky point. I guess they all meet up there for lunch or something? I invited the Wally home for dinner.

Buy 12:30PM, the wind was beginning to pick up from the east and the clouds were starting to build so I decided to packed it up.

All in all - a fine way to spend a nice and sunny late summer morning.[cool]
[signature]
[cool]Nice work.

Sounds like a good mixed bag, and some good eatin' to boot.

No "chubosaurs"?
[signature]
No chubasaurs.

And good eatin' indeed - yum! Just right for me, the Mrs., and the two kids still left at home.
[signature]