Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tying a Mayfly
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3][Image: happy.gif]Here Norm makes tying a mayfly pattern look easy. Since I have one of his vises, wonder if I can do it that easily? [/size][/#008000][/font]

[url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qg8Up5ph8Fo"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qg8Up5ph8Fo[/url]
[signature]
awesome.. he sure does make it look easy.. :-)

MacFly
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3]Since I am not an accomplished fly tier, I let my camera do the critique. Most times I will take a photo of my first tie so that I can see where I need to make my adjustments. In this photo I discovered that I used too much dubbing [too fat], didn't have the right shape and that I didn't get a uniform wrap of the hackle plus a little clean up is necessary at the head. Probably will need to tie several more before I will be satisfied with the outcome. Perhaps our new tiers may also learn from the cameras point of view.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[center][inline "MY1 002.jpg"]
[/center]
[signature]
hmmmmmmmm so its a little "chunky"... bet the bigger fish will like it.. :-)

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3][Image: happy.gif]This one is a bit better. Will need to form the body around a round object so that it dries with that classic curve.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[center][inline mf2.jpg]
[/center]
[signature]
is that what he was doing in the video when he created what looked like a shell around the beginning of the bend of the hook.. and I think he turned it upside down when he tied the "body" on the hook????

MacFly
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3][Image: happy.gif]He creates the body on a sewing needle first. Applies a good amount of cement, then withdraws the body from the needle and lets it set with the classic curve. Okay here is another one which I think is better than the first two.
[/size][/#008000][/font]

[center][inline MAYFLY3..jpg]
[/center]
[signature]
Im thinking that the fishies will be thinking they will have three good meals in front of them... :-)

MacFly
[signature]
i dont think the fish care ..but personally i think the second one looks the most lifelike..but id still try all tthree and see what the fish like best..there the ones your trying to please
[signature]
Ditto Lurtch[cool]
[signature]
[center][font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3]You all are right. 2nd one is nice & lean.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[/center]
[center][inline mf123.jpg]
[/center]
[center]
[/center]
[signature]
we get alot of mayflies here 2 one looks like the live ones..at least close
[signature]
[center][font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3]They are the same ones shown in separate posts above.
[/size][/#008000][/font]
[/center]
[signature]
I DID RELIZE THAT..
[signature]