Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are The Sand Bass On Strike?
Can somebody out there tell me what's going on with the sand bass? I--and 99% of the rest of the anglers on board--were totally skunked on two separate twilight fishing trips recently. The first trip--on the Spitfire out of Marina Del Rey Sportfishing--with 40 anglers aboard, resulted in three skinny sand bass and that was it. The second trip--on the Native Son out of Long Beach Sportfishing--was even worse. Two measly sand bass and a baby sting ray for 85 anglers on another lesson in futility disguised as a twilight trip. Why is this happening? It is July and the sand bass should be biting anything that hits the bottom. Both boats showed meter marks, but the bass had severe lockjaw. On both trips I heard several theories--weather changes, water temperature changes, too much bait in the water, ripper currents, moon phases, etc. Does anyone know why the sand bass seem to be on strike? I am getting tired of wasting money and time on fruitless twilight trips!
[signature]
klymons: I have an idea what's wrong. The water is still somewhat cold but more on the weird side some of the animals we are seeing out there on the Horseshe lately don't belong in Southern Caltfornia waters. An angler buddy of mine saw a dorado jump and spent the day looking for him to no avail. I ran across a 7'x5 Leatherback turtle chomping a glob of Jellyfish 4 feet wide. Then a rare Blue Whale was seen in the Catalina Channel. And the shark we saw on television yesterday that was cruising along the beach in Santa Monica Bay. By the way that was not a Blue Shark because it had a keel just before the caudel fin representative of either a mako or a white shark. Blues don't have that. But be patient the sand bass will soon explode. I haven't got a tomato on that's ripe yet. Normally the first red tomato kicks off the sand bass spawn.
[signature]
Those other boats arent real boats, you need to come and see Ed on the NATIVE SUN for twilights. That guy can out fish any other captain around. Twilight is his specialty and out of the three trips Ive been on in the past month Ive limited out and then some on two of the trips and caught eight last night and the last two trips Ive won JP.

He runs twilight Tuesday and Wednesday night.

Aaron LB Sportfishing

Big and small kill em all!
[signature]
I was talking to some regular on the boat that i work on today, and he said that him and his friend caught a lion fish at the horseshoe. NUTS! he said that when he brought it out of the water, the red stuff on the fish started "dripping" off. that is soooooo trippy!

2 yellowtail-300 or so barry's- 130 calico bass, 1 blue perch-1 bat ray(released). that is the fish count for the PURSUIT out of 22nd street landing for july 2, 2003!

joe
[signature]
We've been catching alot of those spider crab things. They are strong and mean! We slayed the reds on Friday in the horse shoe and did good on the big sculpin. Saw a few small yellow's today at the island we caught 8 short seabass and someone hooked something on the surface that I couldn't even stop or even turn his head! Either a BIG yellow or a HUGE Seabass, all I know is that it got into the rocks and sawed the lady off!

Ill post again tomorrow after work.

Aaron G ( VICTORY SPORTFISHING)[cool]
[signature]
are you sure it was on the surface?? we have been catching alot of bat rays at the island.

joe
[signature]
[Smile]i work on a boat calld the pursuit off of 22nd street in san pedro and were catching our limits every day for the last week and a half. theres a slow pic in the morning but at around noon the this just keep on bitting i fish for about 20-30 minutes and had way past my limit of fish. put it this way i work on a three quater day boat we leave at 6:00 AM and at at the docks at 6:00 pm on tuseday the 3rd we were back home at around 4:00 because we had so maney fish tha if we were to catch any more we would get in trouble. so the fish are out there you just have to look for them
[signature]
That was an old post you replied to--almost two months old. I have since gone back out and done better. The water--and the fishing--has definitely warmed up. My problem now is that my current work schedule leaves me with no days off for at least a week and a half. All I can do is read the fish counts every day and count the days until I can go out again. I just hope that the sand bass hang around long enough. If the "itch" gets too bad, I may have to call in sick. After all, what's really important in life--work or fishing?[reply]
[signature]
O crap im sorry i didnt see the date.[pirate][blush][blush][blush][blush]
[signature]
thats a tough call klumons...hahaha but the sand bass stopped biting that week or so because of a sudden change in water temperature. it was at like 67-69 degrees, and it dropped all the way down to 61-63. so the sand bass had lockjaw. oh well. the water warmed up again, and we are all doing good on those little sandy dandies. haha

good luck on future trips.

joe
[signature]
Hey, no problem. In fact your reply reminded me that I haven't fished out of 22nd Street Landing for eons. On my last trip--on the Pursuit--we went out to Catalina for an fairly steady bite on the multi-species: calico bass, blue perch, barracuda, and even a couple of yellowtail. What I really liked about the Pursuit was that the captain was really aggressive about finding fish and I liked the bunks--I slept almost the entire trip back. Yes, you may see me on the Pursuit some time in the future.
[signature]
Yes, I am aware of the water temperature situation. I just hope that by the time I'm able to get back out another cold front won't put the grumpies back in the neutral zone. You know how those Fish Gods are--they don't cut you any slack. And to make things worse, a friend of mine drops by work and shows off a whole bunch of photos he had taken on a twilight trip out of Long Beach. The sandies were as big as baby seals! He said the whole boat limited out by 9pm and they headed in early. Talk about rubbing it in! With friends like that, who needs enemies!
[signature]
O so you've been on the pursuit. ya the captain is alwaly agressive about catching fish, if he finds a spot were we are catching fish then he'll be in the best mood ever but if were dont catch anything he get to the point where if you were to fall of the boat he wouldn't send someone to go get you, thats how mad he gets. right now were not going to catalina, were just going to the hunington flats. But when fishin slows down we'll go to catalina

RAUL
[signature]

Hey there klymons,

Ya, It's tough not getting out when you want. On the other hand, if you don't like crowds and boats packed with mostly people who want nothing other than catching their limit, you're not missing a whole lot in my humble opinion.

I stopped going on the twilights first) because I could and second) because the fishing experience is does not have the quality of say a 3/4 day weekday boat with a good percentage of regular and experienced anglers. Oh Ya, third) being that I am slowly losing my night vision which is tough because on the boats it's pitch black on one side of the rail and glaring spotlights on the other!!! ha ha ha

Please make use of all the boards here at BFT, if you don't already, as there is lots of day to day fishing reports and general stuff that's both informative and entertaining.

See ya out on the flats sometime,

JapanRon
[signature]
I guess I have a preference for the twilight boats because you don't have to get up early in the morning, and I tend to be a so-called "night person." There are a lot of rent-rodder types on the twilights, but some of the 3/4 day boats I've been on were loaded with first-timers. Spending the whole day--or night--getting tangled up with inexperienced fishermen is not my idea of fun. It's too bad about your night vision problem--some of my best trips have been twilights. Actually, at this point, I just want to go fishing--day or night. Fish reports and fishing programs just don't do the job!
[signature]
That's my kind of captain--not happy unless the passengers are catching fish! I've been on some boats where the captain just dropped the anchor and we end up staying there almost the whole day for nada. That's the kind of captain that should fall overboard and wind up as an appetizer for the local sharks. I want a captain who gets irritated when the bite slows down and ia ready to move at the drop of a paper plate. Some of the older ones seem like they could care less. The younger ones are hungry, and really want to rack up some numbers. The Pursuit captain is really good, Rick Oefinger of Marina Del Rey is another one, and the captains of the Erna-B in Port Hueneme and the Enterprise in Long Beach Marina are ones who deserve a thumbs up for their aggressive pursuit of good fishing. I'm sure there are others, but these are the ones I know to be outstanding.
[signature]
John Woodreum from the Pursuit is just a die-hard. he, like you said, gets irratated when we aren't catching fish. he is a great captain. I have been told by several people that he is one of the best in southern california.

joe
[signature]
ya the captain for pursuit is good and all but some time i think he just need to lighten up and not be such a d#ck to all of the deckhands.but ya your it shows that he really want he passangers to have fun and catch lots of fish. i dont know maybe he feels like he let the passangers down if we don't catch anything.

RAUL
[signature]
of course.... wouldn't you feel that way. these people pay $40 to fish on your boat and CATCH fish..... and then they dont???? wouldnt you feel like $#!+??? oh well... touchy subject[Sad][Sad]just kidding....I just liked the face.

joe
[signature]

Hey there DH_tubinjoe,

I know one skipper that had just got his ticket and fish weren't being caught. He was up in the wheelhouse about ready to cry! It's funny now but.... some captians try harder than we might think and others are nothing but TAXI drivers late for their stool at the bar. Others just make it look easy!

I might start a big deal but ANYBODY who goes on an open-party boat and expects to catch fish just because they paid their $42 or whatever doesn't need to go on the boat. Those guys need to buy their own boat, bait, learn where and how to set up on the fish and then fish and catch!

I might be an easy mark but I've gotten decent effort from a captian, not exceptional but decent effort, and caught 0 to just a few fish and never thought that was outrageous. In another vien, I've got a lot of confidence in my luck and small fishing skill that I figure if fish were meant to be caught I would have gotten them.

The real guys that are a pain are the know-it-alls who come on the boat, can't fish worth a darn and then embarass themselves with getting half drunk, complain about other anglers, the captian, the deck... anybody but themselves that they can't get fish.

You pay that money for a ride, bait and a reasonable chance and that's it. If one can't handle that.. they should stay off the boats.

JapanRon
[signature]