Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Detroit River @ Lake St.Clair
I can fish off the Grosse Pointe Park pier where the Detroit River begins and the Lake empties.

Want to try for some catfish. Don't know if there are any to be had.

All advice welcome -- I've never fished for catfish before.

tia
[signature]
hey tom, Welcome,
hope to hear some of your fishing stories soon...

yep there's cats in them waters, biguns too, tho not as big as down south, however they do reach 40 pounds.

Blood Baits is first choice,

or a nice fresh dead shiner will work, the frozen smells good but are sort of mushy and require extra hooking...

crawlers are great, but the problem with them are those dagberned gobies... they just wont leave the worms alone..

so heres the game plan, dig up a few werms, take some small hooks and catch some gobi and let them die then put them on the hook for the cats... 5-6 inch gobi work good.

I was told thay are hitting on chicken neck skin, but then so are the turtles...

good luck and send us a pic.
[signature]
Chunks of doller store hotdogs .
Gotta young lady up here that swears by them for big channel cats .
I'm pretty sure we have a whole list of home made catfish baits on the recipe board too .
Welcome bro , where ya' from ?
[signature]
I've li ved in Grosse PI onte Park for 25+ years. Long enough that I remember the runs of silver bass -- a fish caught with every cast. Those days are gone, like the smelt runs at Pte Pelee.

Trying to teach myslef how to use a bait-castaing reel again. Bought a combo from Cabella's that was discussed on this site. Boy, bat cast reels were a pain in the late 50's! That's what my dad used ( or mis-used).

Got intertested in cats after reading stuff on this site. They still catch a few steehead off the pier here each spring. Hoping & guessing I can get a catfish if I try long enough.
[signature]