Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mercury mechanics in Salt Lake, steering lag.
I'm looking for a Mercury Certified Mechanic in the Salt Lake area. I've taken my boat previously to Lee's in Hyrum but time and mileage is money and I don't have money for either [laugh].
I have a 200 hp mercury outboard with Sea Star (sp?) steering. The steering isn't as responsive as it used to be, scary when 60+ mph and the boat hits a rogue wave and the motor moves direction without the steering wheel moving.
Anywho, looking for a good Mercury outboard mechanic.
[signature]
I don't think you necessarily need a Mercury mechanic. Your problem is with SeaStar (made by TeleFlex).

If you don't have money, fix it yourself. These systems are easy and straightforward. It sounds to me like you just need to bleed the system and maybe install new seals (cheap kit) if you have a leak.

Personally, I've never been impressed with any of the places in the valley. But any dealer that sells outboards will probably do it for you for their unofficial minimum charge ($500).
[signature]
I know there have been some mixed responses for Best Boat Service on here, but my experience is that he went well above and beyond to make things right, and he really knows his stuff. His labor rate is $60/hour and guarantees his work for 3 years! I would really suggest you give him a call.

Most of the complaints people have had on here were due to lack of response and some inconsistencies with the guy he had helping him. If you call, just request that he come do the work himself if at all possible. Those that have had the work done by him will say that he stands by his work and knows what he's doing.

My boat was a fairly major job: rebuild 4 bbl. carb, replace fuel pump and all fuel lines, replace u-joints and bearings in upper part of outdrive, change out all oils, etc. The boat sat for too long and there was a lot of sediment going through the fuel system from the tank. He even did some extra work at no charge when some sediment managed to get through into the newly rebuilt carb.

All this cost me about $1300, but would have likely been over twice that at a regular boat shop.

I finally got it out 2 weeks ago and it ran beautifully!

I am pleased with the work he has done for me and would give my personal reccommendation.
[signature]
I'm guessing you are talking about Lee? Maybe I should just bite the bullet and take it to the pro....
[signature]
Nope. I'm talking about the guy that runs Best Boat Service. He advertises on KSL a lot or you can find his website at bestboatservice.com. His labor rate is down around 1/2 what the regular shops charge and he is mobile (can come to you). I think his name is Mike. No, I'm not affiliated with him at all, just very pleased with the work he did for me.
[signature]
Two come to mind:
Rogers Marine in Centerville
and SSmarine in NSL and Utah County

Just my two cents worth
[signature]