Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Slip ring seat
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3]Notice in my new Orvis catalog today that many of their rods do not feature the standard lock up or down reel seats. Just a slip & grip ring. Do you have any preference?
[/size][/#008000][/font]

[center][inline s.jpg]
[/center]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3]
[/size][/#008000][/font]

[signature]
I have never used a slip ring seat like that.. all my rods (the few I have) are the lock up or down reel seats..

how secure is a slip ring like this?? does it slip off easily??

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3][Image: happy.gif]Apparently they hold the reel just fine, but I feel more secure with the lock up/down seats. 0 & 00 wt rods generally use the slip ring to keep the weight down. Well at least that is my theory.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
I agree in as much I think the up or down locking seat would be more secure.. but again I have never used a slip ring so I have no personal experience to speak from... [Smile][Smile]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
I have it on my One Once and on my McFarland...I LOVE THEM. They are my choice in that they do hold the reel better than any other. They can't loosen
Like an Up Lock or Down Lock with the screw. I find I am always tightening those, but the rings....no fuss, no muss.
[signature]
hmmmm I would of thought the opposite.. few knocks here and there.. lots of activty causing vibration.. and I would of thought those rings would eventually work down and looooooooose...

but.. come to think of it.. on occassion.. very few occassions.. Ive had to tight an uplocking ring ... course that was mainly on the shakespeare (ww special).. Ill have to keep a closer eye on that and see what happens.

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
IVE HAD A FEW SLIP RING SEATS..NONE OF EM ANY GOOD..THEY JUST DONT HOLD..IVE HAD A FEW REELS TAKE A DRINK
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3]My boo has a slip ring - and I'm not too fond of it. But hey there has to be a lot of people that like that type of seat otherwise they would stop making them.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
ever had the reel fall off..thats annoying
[signature]
They are also a weight issue. They are on rods to cut weight.
If I have them correctly on they hold the best.
On my McFarland, the new Asian Orvis reels are a little thicker in the foot and I do have a problem with them. To the point I have filed them down.
Now it holds great, along with any of my other reels.
[signature]
Hmmmmm, Im not too sure about those.
Im the kinda guy that will use a "screw before nail" so I
guess I would have to try it first and see.

Peter
[signature]