Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jig Fishing
I'm going to finally start getting into jig fishing. Does anyone have any recommendations for trailers they like to use on jigs? Or do most people fish them without any form of trailer?
[signature]
I usually use a trailer because it adds a bit more action and resembles claws of a crawdad. It also adds bulk to the bait and most bass love an easy meal.
[signature]
I'll have to look into some craw trailers then, thanks man.
[signature]
hey, i'm also getting into jig fishing. and was wondering about which color trailer to use. i would've made another thread, but this one is kinda like it. but anyways, what's the general rule about color clarity and jig/trailer?
[signature]
I guess since we're both kinda experimenting with jigs together Aznavalanche I'll tell you what i did today. I used a black and blue skirted jig. For a trailer I used an old curly tailed worm. I fished it for about an hour today. Not sure if i was fishing it correctly or if they just weren't active today but I didn't even get a bite.
[signature]
Green, browns and blues are great color choices for trailers. Zoom super chunks, double tailed grubs, or crawdad imitations work as good trailers.

I like to pitch jigs into cover usually (1/4 to 1/2 oz.). Let it drop to the bottom and pull it slowly through the cover. Make sure to keep letting it drop to the bottom when possible. Bites are pretty easy to detect. A lot of times you will feel them take it, other times they'll run towards you or sideways with the jig. Watch your line.

You can also fish a jig vertically in deep water. I like to use a heavier jig when fishing vertically (3/4 oz.). I'll look for likely spots on my sonar or groups of fish. Drop the jig down and keep it right near the bottom. Make sure to make contact with the bottom, then pull it ever so slight off the bottom. Fish usually bite very soft.
[signature]
Great, thanks for the tips. Still haven't had any luck using a jib yet though. But we'll see what happens.
[signature]