Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fly Rod
I have been looking for a second 5wt rod and found an Orvis Frequent Flier 7 pc. rod which seems a little stiffer than my TFO ( stiffer is what I'm looking for) and it was on sale. Reg. 199.99 now 169.99. Does anyone have good or bad things to say about this rod. I'm kinda looking to buy it.

Thanks!
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3]Hi Fly - Me I have an Orvis Frequent Flier 8½' 3 wt. that I like quite well. Mine is a mid-flex which suits me just fine. Fortunately I purchased mine at a trade show using coupons etc cost me $130. Well worth the price. It should be noted that the Frequent Flier models do not carry the Orvis life time warranty as there is a $50 repair charge and a $30 shipping charge. This doesn't bother me as I treat all my rods as my first born! lol[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
I take it you have a Professional TFO, cause the Frequent Fliers are a mid flex.
GREAT RODS, I love the one I got to use. Like DR said, no 25 year warranty, but they will fix it for a small fee and hopefully you won't need to.

Although, for $199. you can get a CLEAR WATER that does have the warranty and different actions, then get a Martin Reel for $30.+
[signature]
I want to use this rod for my intermediate sinking line so I'd like the stiffer rod. ( yes I have a TFO Prof. for floating line, love it ). I also might like the fact it's a 7 piece for hiking. A 4 piece would be fine though. What does mid flex mean? I want to spend about $200.00. Thanks for the input!
[signature]
With Orvis, it is the numbers. The FF is around a 7.0 to 7.5, the TFO is around a 6.0.
[signature]
Here is a link to the [url "http://www.orvis.com/intro.aspx?subject=24"]ORVIS[/url] site that explains their terminology and numbers.. hope this helps..

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
Thanks for the input. I checked out the Orvis site and it explained what the different flexes are. Pretty cool. I think the 7 piece might make a good all around packable rod for many fishing situations, but mainly for my intermediate line. The TFO casts floating line awsome, but it seems when you get a sinking line on it it flexes just a little too much hence the need for a slightly stiffer rod. Would you buy this rod under the conditions of use I described or is there a better choice?

Thanks again, Eric
[signature]
[center][font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3][Image: happy.gif]Is there any place that you can test the rod? I know at my fly shop they will string up a demo and let me cast as long as I want. Hate to buy most anything that I can't get my hands on.
[/size][/#008000][/font]
[/center]
[signature]
Eric.. I have to be honest and tell ya Im not the one to ask that last question on whether Id buy it or not.. but.. have to say that your reasoning makes a lot of sense to me.. heavier line... stiffer action on the rod you're using... makes perfect sense...

the few rods that I have range from a good sage 6 wt that has just enough flex in it to where I can feel the line a lot better than on my first rod..

the shakespeare 5/6 has a stiffer action that I honestly have never thought to use it for my sinking line situations... so may have to give that one a try.. and maybe set up a reel with a dt line for it as well...

my newest rod.. what I call my mojo rod is a 10'6" rainwater switch rod.. I have a wff rio grand line that screams at me every time I go thru the garage to tell me its time to slap it in the reel and use it on the mojo rod...

most if not all of my fishing so far has been stillwaters.. so the 5 - 6 wt range seems to be the best for me...

if I get a handle on that switch rod I may buy a rio saltwater line to slap on it and try it in the salt around thanksgiving this year.. that is yet to be decided...

Ive also done stream fishing in TN and would love to pick a nice 3 or 4 wt for that situation.. the 6 wt is just too overpowering for the sunfish that predominantly swim those waters...

now I will tell you that Id be tempted to get that rod for two reasons.. but maybe in a lighter weight..

one reason is protability.. that would be much easier to take on a plane without checking it in (that way I ensure it gets there)..

and two... FG others have said its a good rod and that is good enough for me.. :-)

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
TO ME....An intermediate doesn't really cast any different than a floating and so on down the line. FULL SINKING lines aren't that noticeably different but there is some difference.
A faster/stiffer rod is designed more for BIG bugs and wind.
I cast a TYPE II with a full flex rod. really isn't that hard.
Now a SINK TIP is a whole different story. They are very TIP heavy, where a full sink is the whole line.
With the Frequent Flyer, you are still talking a MID flex in the medium fast by other companies standards.
It is a good all around, cast anything flex.
My TFO is the 10er and I cast everything with it, but I prefer slower rods. There is more finesse with slower action. Makes you slow down and feel the load.
Fast action covers allot of mistakes, and for that reason, becoming more popular. Everyone I know that has a fast action is now going back to the slower. You don't have to muscle it, the sling shot action or catapult does all the work.

Like I said....MY opinion.

I know full flex isn't for everyone and every thing, that is why I have half and half, (slow and Medium) with ONE fast action.
[signature]
Dont worry about it. In couple of years you will have
like ten ronds anyways[Wink]

Peter
[signature]
Thanks for all the input. I bought the rod and can't wait to try it out. All your opinions have been taken in. Again, I appreciate the info. And yeah Peter, I probably WILL have an arsenal of rods one day. Oh, did I say thanks for getting me into fly fishing?! I can see me slowly becoming a tackle nut. LOL!!!

Eric
[signature]
if Peter ever says come on over and Ill show you how I tie up flies...

RUNNNNNNNNNNNN !!!!!! LOL

Glad you are enjoying the sport.. it is all very addicting to say the least...

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
LMAO !!!!!!!! Thanks for the heads up !!
[signature]
keep us posted on your fishing adventures.. especially with that new rig your getting..

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[quote Fly-Me]Thanks for all the input. I bought the rod and can't wait to try it out. All your opinions have been taken in. Again, I appreciate the info. And yeah Peter, I probably WILL have an arsenal of rods one day. Oh, did I say thanks for getting me into fly fishing?! I can see me slowly becoming a tackle nut. LOL!!!

Eric[/quote]

You welcome and Im glad that you enjoing FF. I do know you well a nuff to know that you will take fly fishing all the way just like you do with everything you do. Which is a
good thing.
Fly fishing is a lot more then just catching fish-its a art
and for most people it will became a passion which
may lead to a tackle nut for sure.[Smile]

Peter
[signature]
just beware the Dark Side Luuuukkkkkeeeeee ... fly tying is evil.. it will possess your soul.. [laugh][laugh]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]