Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Float tube seat
If you don't mind my asking -- how much are you all sitting in the water? Is your bum numb?[blush]
In the fat cat and odc 420 are you up out of the water. Does the seat bottom drag in the water? Does it pack up small -- for like the trunk of a small car.

I have a Caddis Navigator II, -- older than the one in the picture, and I have wondered if I would sit higher in something like an ODC 420 or Fat Cat. Is the seat on those solid foam? Do they move pretty easy?

I am considering updating my tube or just doing something to the seat so that I sit higher. -- Mostly for casting.

http://www.caddissports.com/specs/nav2_specs.htm
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]The first time you sit in a tube with elevated foam (or inflated) seats you will be pleasantly surprised at how little of your lower body is in the water. For most of us, only the lower surface of our behind gets wet...not even enough to need full chest waders. That reduces the drag in the water and also keeps you warmer in cold water.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The foam seats are inside PVC pockets, not exposed to the water, so they do not restrict movement on the water. To the contrary, they float you higher so you get greater efficiency with every kick.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Even with the solid foam seats these tubes will pack up plenty small to fit into the available carrying space for virtually any vehicle.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
TD is right on. Your seat will get wet.
There is a little more drag than a pontoon because the seat is touching the water, but it does form like a bullet.
Less drag than your whole body though, like in donuts.
[signature]
I think that I am going to try a boat cushion to sit on first. Then I will either buy a different tube, or I might even try relocating the seat. Maybe even something similar to the seat on your Echo.

It is hard to justify a new tube when mine really does work well, and the only complaint I have is how low I sit.

If I go with a new tube I am leaning toward a fat cat or an odc 420. Anyone have any pros or cons between these?
Thanks!!
[signature]
I have seen two guys fishing off the beach in
those tubes. I was watching them for some time. Of
course I was , Im a tuber as well[Smile]
Anyways, those tubes look huge and slow moving. I seen
one of those guys trying to move hard to other spot, kicking hard but not moving very fast (fast for a float
tube that is). I KNOW that I can move much much
faster and lot more easy in my SFC. Also I have
force fins ,maybe that helps too.
Anyways, just my 2c. [Wink]

Peter
[signature]