Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Catching Longnose Gar in the Ocean
I once got hooked up on a longnose gar while flounder fishing from a bridge. After the long tough fight i started to pull the fish up the side of the bridge. When i got him to the top he fell off the hook. It made me mad but now i want to try to catch one again. My questions are 1) where should i fish for them, 2) what should i use for bait, and 3) what method of fishing should i use? I will be fishing in the ocean.
[signature]
First of all, Gar are typically a fresh water species. However, may spawn in brackish water. Your best bet for gar is in the freshwater end of the brackish water. They like coves and slews, and calm water. Some anglers use a "mop head" style lure that the gars teeth get tangled up in when they strike. You'll see the gar on top of the water cruising and poping, early morning and late evening especially. They are a good fight, and a pill to hang.

If you were going to use bait, fresh cut bream or shad on the bottom work good. Trebble hooks are best, and i'd put a stinger in their too.

Once you get the prehistoric fish thing out of your system, you'll more than likely find them to be a pain in the ass bait steeler more than anything. They usually inhabit the same areas as catfish, large bream, and crappie do.
[signature]