Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
woolly wisdom
[quote Dryrod][font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3][.img][url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/images/gforum/happy.gif[/img]One"]http://www.bigfishtackle.com/...m/happy.gif[/img]One[/url] of the benefits of tying is that I don't get upset any more when I lose a fly. The cost is less than two bits compared to that of store bought bugs of at least a buck or more.[/size][/#008000][/font][/quote]

Well lets put it this way- woolly bugger at the fly shop
is $1.99. Now get like 15 of those = $29.85 + 2.76 tax
total $32.61
How much would it cost you to make 15 WB ? Not counting vise and tools. Just materials.

Peter
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3]I use Diiachi hooks which costs $4.50 +tax for a pack of 25, so that is about 20 cents per. Material will include lead wire, marabou plume, hackle, chenille & thread. Since a packages of all these materials are rather inexpensive [except the hackle] perhaps that would add another nickle to your total cost. Like a package of marabou is abt 1 $1.50 will tie you a whole bunch of flies. BTW if you are looking to save money, you would have to tie a gazillion flies to break even considering cost of a vice & tools and a whole assortment of hooks and thread. I enjoy tying for it beats watching the boob tube. If I'm making a trip which requires tying up some new flies I will google it's name and get a step by step illustration on YouTube.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
That sound good.
I know that tying flies is not going to be less money then buying them (price of good vise, tools...........).
But after I buy vise and tools and everything else, it
should not cast too much. Right?
Im kinda like you and everyone esle that ty flies to fish
with. Do it for the fun of it . Its just part of the fly fishing
hobie.
And like everyone told me, its must be a total high to
catch a fish on fly I made.I cant ways.

Peter
[signature]
[center][font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3][Image: happy.gif]And if you would be interested you may want to participate in our annual Christmas / holiday season fly swap. We don't judge the quality of the flies for that's the job of the fishies.
[inline RWCO.jpg]
[/size][/#008000][/font]
[/center]
[signature]
Wow, Christman fly swap. Thats so cool.[Smile]
If Im able to ty something by Cristman, then sure why not.

Peter
[signature]
hmmmmmmmmm guess I missed last years tie.. and the year before.. lol...

MacFly
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3]Well there was only one swap each year that might have been for Halloween, Thanksgiving or Xmas. Believe that you were in the mix these past few years.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3][Image: happy.gif]Believe that you were in the mix the past few years. Perhaps it was called either a Halloween, Thanksgiving or Xmas swap. What ever.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
oh I was.. griffith gnat is what I think I put in the mix.. but dont remember putting it into a purty glass ornament thing-a-ma-bob... [laugh]

MacFly
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3][Image: happy.gif]I wonder if that is sort of like building a ship in the bottle?[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
hmmmm never did that either.. but.. when I saw your post I was wondering.. if the fly is small enough to fit inside there how do you suspend it like that without being really noticeable.. ??

MacFly
[signature]
if the fly is small enough to fit inside there how do you suspend it like that without being really noticeable.. ??

7x tippet
[signature]
that makes sense to me .... [laugh]
[signature]
sweet,
to bad we aint doing a hallowen fly swap, cuz mine look like a nightmare on freddies street. [angelic]

thats one sweet orniment.

I like that almost as much as my cigerett lighter with the fly in it. [cool]
[signature]
Im thinking of doing something with ornaments for Christmas now.. [Smile]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3][Image: happy.gif]You can buy clear plastic ornaments specifically for the purpose of inserting your own little goodies. Someone once gave me one loaded with golf tees as a Xmas stocking stuffer.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
sounds like a Michaels run is on the list for the near future for me... LOL>...

MacFly
[signature]
So what is everyone's favorite bugger?
I think mine must be a black crystal bugger. Similar to this picture but without the gold bead head.
http://www.cabelas.com/p-0023260316312a.shtml

I also want to try this one from Sport Fishing on the Fly. By the way they have a lot of great ties and videos on their site.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFA7yVrYW...r_embedded
[img]file:///C:/Users/Pierce/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot.png[/img]
[signature]
the one that Ive had the most luck with is the plain ol wooly worm.. caught a lot of sunfish on that this past summer and the year before as well...

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
What color of wooly worm?
[signature]