Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
shush ! "the big secret"
Many areas are affected by the big secret.

Every year many of our state's hottest fishing locations are lost due to the big secret.

I have noticed every year I see fewer anglers on the water. Now is that because of the old timers dying off? Or no one is sharing their fishing locations with their friends? Or is it because of the economics of the situation? It’s really hard to say, but the affect regardless to the reason is the same. When people stop coming to certain locations, less money is allocated to those sites. Which means less fish stockings, less pheasant stockings, less wild life management.

This goes on and on in this downward spiral till the state feels that there is no longer a demand for those sites to remain open any more or the economics from the lack of park sticker sales when finally the park or felicity is shut down or sold off.

I can say this first hand, more than half of my secret fishing spots are now closed, sold off, or no longer managed.

Now every one here knows that there’s really no secret to fishing holes any more. There hasn’t been in 50 years. Some one knows every body of water that hasn’t become privatized. Only privatized ponds are secrets anymore. Any one sneaking to fish in to those with out permission from the landowners is not only trespassing but also engaged in the crime of theft.

Years ago there used to be plantings of salmon in the footesite dam region, but not any longer... One has to ask them selves why is this?

I know we touched on this subject last week, but that is really a part of a much larger problem. That is the loss of our natural recreational resources.

The reason I am reopening this under a new title is because I was sitting at camp yacking around the fire and every one was talking about the secret of this fishing spot being gone, because of everyone going home and telling about it on the internet.

I hadn’t the heart to tell them that my grandfather and uncle used to fish all over this area long before I was born.

More to point is, that if the secret is kept to well, there wont be anglers to fish these areas to keep them open in the future. Isnt that the real secret?

That is my opinion do you have one? What I mean is do you think keeping public fishing holes a secret aiding in the closing of public fishing sites?
[signature]
i will agree theres no real secret spots anymore...but i will add that most fisherman are simply staying close to home anymore..alot of my favorite spots used to to be loaded with people from all over the state and out of state...now all i see is the locals..ive even cut way down on my long distance fishing trips..just cant afford it..thats my opinion on that
[signature]
I hear that, I have gone three times this year, but I had to sit most of the year out in order to do it...

my reward tho is enuff salmon to stoke up canner, now all I need is a good recipie... or some variation there of...

I have heard a couple recipies that sounded good and was thinking of taking a variation of the two to make one.

one calls for a peice of salt pork added
the other calls for a round slice of onion to go on the bottom and top of the jar.

the variation I was thinking was a peice of raw smoked bacon on the bottom, a slice of onion on top of the bacon then again on top of the jar.

from studing numerous canning sites it would seem that the recipie is up to me just so long as I follow the basic rules. 10 pounds at 100 minuts

I have some freshly smoked cured bacon I had done a couple months ago. now all I need do is go and pick up some nice sweet yellow spanish onions.

I am thinking that this would make a great recipie for salmon patties or just eatin out of the can. [:p]

do you have any salmon canning experience?
[signature]
My opinion , The DNR just can't help but to screw over the guys that are keeping them in greenbacks .
Lets discuss the salmon run .
As soon as the salmon hit the river what is the first thing that happens , The DNR fences off the river and puts a halt on all the fish that we should be catching .After the egg collecting is done and the bulk of those eggs are sold to other states they let the gates open and we get those half dead blackened river fish .
Bad enough the fish have to come threw the hundreds of yards of commercial fishing nets placed around the rivers mouth .
Yep , the guys who pay the most in license fees end up with the leftovers while others take the cream of the crop for pennies on the dollar .

The deer bait ban , we know it's not about CWD , the DNR has been trying for years to make a income on taxes placed on the sale of deer bait but can't .
I foresee baiting being reinstated but you will have to either purchase a permit or they will do a lottery thing to make more money with it .
[signature]
MY FATHER IN LAW DOES IT..the one thing he warns about is put only 2 ounces of watter per pint jar..salmon have alot of fish oil that will fill up rest of jar..dont put alot of watter in jar..
[signature]
Thanks for the advice.

in the recipies I have found it says in bold letters "DO NOT ADD WATER"

do you know if he dose the salt brine bath before canning?
[signature]
HE USSUALLY JUST ADDS THE SALT CLOSE THE LID AND START CANNING..HE DOESNT ADD ANYTHING ELSE..I THINK ITS APERSONAL CHOICE..
[signature]
nothing wrong with that. [:p] some times the simple ways are the best ways....

I was thinking about something the health inspector told the class in my food safety program about onions in a smothered atmosphere. I was thinking I might not add the onion after all.

at least not till I learn a little more about canning onions...

I am thinking tho, if I have a jar or two left I might raid the deer plot for red beats. [:p] mmmm sweet pickled beats...
[signature]
it may sound crazy but the best thing ive ever had pickled is polish kabasas..there good
[signature]
not all that weird, your not alone in that area

my dad loved those and hot pickled bologna in his younger days.

I almost picked up a jar of hot pickled eggs when I was up in welston last week... but the queezy fealing started comming back as i was looking at them.... lol

if any body wants them, they are on the corner of 37 and 55, they also have fudge by the ton... all kinds too..

I never did get used to the hot pickled bolongna, I have eaten a few, and felt an ill tummy afterwords... but never got sick. I think it was the taist,

I like hot stuff, I like bologna, I like lots of things pickled, but i think the hot pickled bolongna was a bit much for my castiorn stomach.. [:p]

little sister likes hot pickled pigs feet... Its the only thing she will eat hot.... "spicy hot" when she gets in to a jar of those you better count your toes before calling dinner over...[sly]
[signature]