Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Columbia River summer sturgeon fishing hot spots
[Wink] Need a hot spot for this summer and later for sturgeon

bank fishing, from vancouver,wa, to Dam upstream.
[signature]
Washington Fishing Report updated July 03, 2003 [left]Sturgeon fishing: [#ff0000]Astoria Sturgeon fishing is Closed. [/#ff0000][#000080]The quota has been reached We have been catching lots of nice keepers while fishing for oversized below Bonneville dam. [/#000080][#000000]The Columbia river below Bonneville dam to the Power lines at Wauna including the Willamette river from the falls at Oregon City to the mouth reopened for keeper sturgeon retention on Tuesday July 1.[/#000000][#000080] The sturgeon fishing action for keepers in the Columbia river gorge below Bonneville dam is quite good and a surprising number of keeper sized fish are still in that section of the river. The Willamette river also has good numbers of keepers still present. [/#000080][#ff0000]The Bonneville Pool sturgeon fishery will close for retention at 1201 am on Monday July 7[/#ff0000][#000080] so if you want to fish above the dam Sunday is the last day you can keep sturgeon. I am not sure why we went from about 65% of the quota above the dam 10 days ago to all of the sudden it has been reached. I smell some politics here.[/#000080][/left] [left][#0000ff]Don't let the Astoria Closure ruin your early July sturgeon fishing plans I can still put you on to some nice keepers upriver in the Portland area. Give us a call we still have some openings for keeper sturgeon from now until buoy 10 opens on Aug 1.[/#0000ff][/left] [left]Oversized sturgeon fishing: Oversized sturgeon fishing is still going strong. The bite is somewhat spotty but at some point during most days it turns on. The shad run is still going strong so the big sturgeon some days are a little full and don't bite all day long like they do early in the season. If they aren't biting go shad fishing for a while and come back in an hour or two, most likely they will be on the bite then. [/left] [left]I still have some open dates if you are interested in tying into a huge sturgeon or two.[/left] [left]IMPORTANT OVERSIZED STURGEON FISHING NOTICE: There is a battle still going on about catch and release fishing for oversized sturgeon. It seems from the information I have is that all of the scientific studies and research indicate that catch and release fishing for oversized sturgeon is not having a significant impact on sturgeon mortality or spawning. Even though the data shows no need for changes The state of Washington if they were managing this fishery alone would close all catch and release fishing for oversized sturgeon. Oregon on the other hand is going along with what the data tells us and do not wish to close the oversized sturgeon fishery. As we all know it was primarily Washington that fought to close our keeper fishery during the peak time upriver in the Portland/ Vancouver area. Washington bases its management decisions on whatever the Ilwaco charter fleet and the commercial fishing industry wants and are obviously bought and paid for with the money and contributions coming from those two groups and could care less about upriver guides, sport fishermen, or other fishing related businesses. If we don't stand up to these mis-managers and tell them that all decisions with regard to sturgeon need to be based on data and NOT the economic interests of a very small percentage of the resources users. I urge all of you that like to fish for sturgeon to get involved in a big way to ensure that all of us can still enjoy this fabulous fishing resource, and especially Washington residents -- write letters --- make phone calls --- ask them to prove it and provide the data that does prove the need for their actions.
[/left]
[signature]
[left]What is a Sturgeon? Sturgeon, group of about 25 species of large, primitive fishes. They feed on small animals and plants, which they suck into extendable, toothless mouths. A sturgeon's body is long and narrow with several rows of bony plates along the back and sides. The upper lobe of the tail is much longer than the lower. Sturgeons are prehistoric looking things that can be well over 100 years old.[/left] [left]Ranging from 1 foot to over 13 feet, the Sturgeon is one of the largest fresh water fish on the planet. Because of their magnificent size and sheer brut strength, they were voted by In-Fisherman magazine as one of the top ten fish to catch in the world![/left] [left]Unfortunately we cannot keep Sturgeon - they are on a catch and release basis. Several sturgeon species are currently on the World Conservation Union (also known as IUCN) Red List of Threatened Species.[/left] [left]Oh well, it's the fight that counts...and one other thing. Come back next year, and it you could hook into the same fish - with a year's growth behind it![/left] [center][Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=123;]
[/center]
[signature]
[font "Arial, Helvetica, adobe-helvetica, Arial Narrow"][size 3]From it's confluence with the Columbia River in Central Washington to the Oregon border in Hells Canyon the "Snake" provides a year-round opportunity for a wide variety of species. [/size][/font] [font "Arial, Helvetica, adobe-helvetica, Arial Narrow"][size 3]Sturgeon, Smallmouth Bass, Catfish and Trout fishing begins in early spring and will continue into the fall months. [/size][/font] [font "Arial, Helvetica, adobe-helvetica, Arial Narrow"][size 3]Steelhead fishing on the Snake begins as early as August and normally holds up well as late as January and February.[/size][/font]
[signature]
have you gone yet ?
[signature]
no, Haven't recieved clear answer yet on a HOT spot.
[signature]
got a name of a town where your going to ? i see what's going on close by there for the stergon .
[signature]
I live in camas , wa. Like to fish frome here to Dam upstream.
[signature]
i can see the rivers about 80 miles long and that there's a few charters on it that specilise in stergon trips , but i can't seem to find any locals that are willing to give up spacific hot spots for them .

so i would sugest finding out where these charters are located , if possible see what direction there headed out to on the trips , or just ask one of them for some advice , most the charter guys i know won't give you the exact place to go ( thats there bread and butter - they have familys to feed too ), but they might give you a lot of helpful information in the right direction .

sturgon like the fast water below the dams usually 50-100 yards just below ( that's where all the chum setteles ), they also like the water just at the area where a river widens suddenely , like a bay area or a lake . they also like it deep because there skiddish . can you find a toppo of the river ? if not look for high sharp VERTICAL peaks on both sides of the river , the conture should be as steep below the water too . "V"

sorry i couldn't be of more help , have you tried any bait shops in the area for info ?
[signature]
That was good advise,I thank you. Will be going out late summer, wish me luck.Thank all for all your help. Will post if and when I get one[Wink]. rlp
[signature]
i'm not giving up yet on getting more info , fishing buddys go the extra mile or two for his pals .

i've started e-mailing some of the charters for some assistance in getting some tips , possibley have them join up with us here .

with a little hope , we can get you to the right spot to make your dream trip a reality .

keep your fingers crossed !
[signature]
Thanks

I use to fish quit often about 7 years ago. For about two years I fished by the tunnel upstream<railroad tunnel at cape horn>and caught 2 one year and one the next. Keepers, just over minimum size.Was bank fishing,like to do that best.

Haven't heard how it is now or any other good spots close.

Just looking for hot spot info and rig and bait info that workes best.

Heard that late summer is best cause of low water and that the fish get into the holes.

I usually use rowmop as bait.

Any helpful info will be greatly used[cool]

thanks for your [size 1]continued[/size] help...

RLP[blush]
[signature]