Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Floyd Lamb State park report 10/6
Okay here we go, got out to the back pond around 645am weather was cold and windy and very discouraging[frown] sucked it up threw off my lucky hat and threw on my beanie heavy jacket and waterproof gloves I brought two rod and reels one riged up with my lucky spinnerbait thats been tested true on that pond other one was riged up with my new baitfish spoon lure, left the tackle box in the car and started fishing the reeds made my way around the cement benches pathway no luck[unimpressed] still kept throwing lures made my way under the trees coming up on the cement dam thing in the rear by the stump my fav spinnerbait got caught up on someone else line tangled up with bobbers,splitshots even a roostertail all around the stump so I waded out in my pants & shoes about 4-6 ft out retrieved the big nest of crap got my lure back and pocketed the others[Wink] man it was cold and good thing nobody saw me the pond was deserted anyways made my way around the dam structure and started fishing my baitfish spoon about the 10th cast the lure was violently hit by this very mature bass after about a 3 min fight I landed her snapped two pics yelled out the mike ike famous line "never give up" and tossed her back in[cool] it was already 815am by now so I threw my new fav lure couple more times and headed out I was surprised I caught anything in those conditions had a good day on the pond despite all the cold wind until next time peace
[signature]
What sort of baitfish spoon? A Blade Dancer? What weight and color? I showed up a little later in the day. No bass. Just some Gills for my wife's dinner.
[signature]
I don't know what brand or kind its just a spoon painted like a blue baitfish with a hook behind it about quarter ounce in weight.
[signature]
Cathunter you need to realize a few things. First of all you referred to jebusmc as a "poacher" for harvesting blue gills. This is completely legal and even though many of us practice catch and release it is not a mandatory practice. And you called him "low" for serving up bluegill for his wife. Once again your opinion is one thing but to post it on the internet this way shows you have NO CLASS. As far as the rules goes you have violated a couple. First of all you stated you waided out in 4-6 feet of water to retrieve a lure. Have you not read the huge signs located all over the park saying it is a violation to enter the water. Good thing I was not there to witness this act or you would have gotten a nice big fine from the RangerX himself. Also you stated you were fishing @ 6:45 AM which means you entered the park early without paying...another park violation.

After reviewing some of your other posts maybe you cant read the signs at FLSP as you certainly could not read the signs at Lake Mead...one of your earlier posts states you were looking for the fishing pier at Boulder Harbor..after reading it you were obviously at Hemenway harbor which is several miles away. Each have huge signs to identify them...but not only did you not know where you were you still could not find the huge fishing pier.

People catch and eat fish all the time including bluegill...in fact they are quite tasty....RangerX
[signature]
We took 6 home. 3 each. That is the legal limit at Floyd Lamb. We also both have licenses to fish in Nevada. That makes us far from poachers. Have you ever seen stunted bluegill and green sunfish? I have. Lots of city ponds like that in the Denver area. Its caused by overpopulation of sunfish. Too many fish, not enough food. Taking a few bluegill won't hurt the pond. Stunted fish is actually becoming a problem at Mead. Too many little stripers being put back. Catch and release is absolutely necessary in some waters. In others. selective harvest is best. In Mead, keep all the little stripers you can catch. That's why ndow and their Arizona counterparts set the limits the way they do.
[signature]
[size 2][/size]Okay jebusmc something you need to realize is you don't always have to throw every fish in the cooler or bucket especially if there small gills, you don't have to get upset by my personal opinion I wasn't trying to upset you.

If you selectively harvest fish properly and take care of the pond the fish in there will become healthier and bigger it would be a better place to fish for all. I've been to plenty of ponds,lakes resivoirs across the us and if people take care of them, they reward u back with plenty of big fish and a great time. And there is a little mailbox by the front office/gate and your supposed to drop your fee in their if you don't have annual pass as I do and fishing license like me and I was doing them a favor by retrieving trash from the pond.

PS how do you and your wife eat sm 2-3 inch pond bluegill pretty bony and muddy tasting I bet
[signature]
We only kept the ones that were 4 to 6 inches. Yes they are in there. Took a while to catch them and we did a bit of culling but there are some in the pond. The meat is white, delicate, and very tasty. She knows how to do a very good job cleaning them and is a great cook so not many bone problems. As for people like us ruining things for people like you? Sorry, I don't meet your high and mighty ideals, even though you don't know me or my wife and you didn't know all the facts behind whatever it is you're offended about. Now, if you don't mind I have better things to worry about.
[signature]
I try and throw everything back, but if a hook gets swallowed most times I take it home. Small bluegill are delicious cooked up right after you catch them, they have big bones not much meat but enough for a nice after fishing snack before lunch.
[signature]
hey rangerx, james on here has been talkin for a while about tryin to get more bass cover in floyd lamb. how do we go about it? is it something you guys have to do yourselves or should we round up some pallets and put them together? who do we get permission from or what?

theres a million sunfish and blue gill but not too many bass in there. i wouldnt be Sad at all if there is a size limit on bass someday there. i wouldnt keep one anyways but maybe like 12 inch and under on bass let 12 and over go.
[signature]
[quote montananinnv]hey rangerx, james on here has been talkin for a while about tryin to get more bass cover in floyd lamb. how do we go about it? is it something you guys have to do yourselves or should we round up some pallets and put them together? who do we get permission from or what?

theres a million sunfish and blue gill but not too many bass in there. i wouldnt be Sad at all if there is a size limit on bass someday there. i wouldnt keep one anyways but maybe like 12 inch and under on bass let 12 and over go.[/quote]

Hey mountain , rangerx is a alias jebusmc made to bash me not the real ranger. And if you and james want to put some cover in there we should meet up early one morning and place some structure. Knowing the city its gonna be tuff trying to get them to agree so we might aswell just do it ourselves. And personally I think all the ponds exept the main one should have a zero fish limit mainly because they are not stocked and a couple years of not harvesting should make it prime water. peace
[signature]
Um... RangerX is definately not me
[signature]
Wow...

You obviously have no idea what "fishery management" is.

Do you want to change the laws? Start by learning a thing or two.
[signature]

this is between me and jebusmc

this whole issue was over me having a problem with people taking sm gills[frown] I was simply discouraging this behavior not trying to offend anybody.

Its pretty much like the guy I saw this summer rolling up to the fish cleaning station at mead with a hundred sm stripers and dozen or so cats and cleaning/taking them all just because it is legal cmon who eats that much fish?, my same point here who takes sm gill?

simply my personal opinion who cares[cool] sorry that i'm to protective over the waters I fish, especially at floyd lamb where it is poor fishery to begin with and people just come around and abuse and drive it down even more,

now with that being said lets put this issue to rest.

ps hey jebusmc your lying there are no big gill in that pond especially right now, go ahead prove me wrong post a pic with a gill over 3in
[signature]
You wouldn't have a problem with people harvesting those fish if you any idea about how it would affect your prized fishery. Why don't you take 5 minutes to read something on the internet about selective harvest, and maybe your uneducated banter will make more sense.
[signature]
Do you know what poaching is? Obviously not. And what exactly is he ruining?

Then you say "people go to urban ponds to fish not to catch their dinner". Not correct. While some do fish simply for the fun others do bring their fish home and eat it, especially in the winter when lots of people are catching rainbow trout.

I bring home the trout I catch from their and they taste great.

Then you said "if you want to harvest fish go to lake mead no limit on stripers under 20in". Then you contradict yourself by saying "I saw a guy cleaning 100 stripers at lake mead and taking them home just cause its legal and who eats that much fish". Ever heard of a freezer.

I fish lake mead alot and you dont always catch fish but when you do take advantage of it. Vacu-seal them and freeze em. They are good for a year and cooked correctly are awesome. Not to mention the lake does have an over abundance of stripers and they need to be thinned out. Thats fish management 101 dude.

I think you just dont like to eat fish.

Then you call him a liar that there are no big bluegill in FLSP. Where do you think the green sunfish state record came from?

Ya CLOWN it came from FLSP (1lb 6oz 12.5 in) just check the Nevada state fish records. I have seen plenty of 6in plus blue gills out there. FLSP is certainly not a "great" fishery but it can be fun and even without your brain farts you consider wisdom lots of decent LMB have been coming out of there for years.

You are never going to change the rules to "no fish allowed" in the other three ponds because thats why they are there-to fish in. I would agree to a limit of 1 for LMB in the park and I do understand and practice catch and release especially for LMB even in lake mead.

And now you call another member a #. He has posted excellent reports for years from all type of local fisherys.

You need to apoligize to the entire forum
[signature]
Cathunter,

I don't post much but you've motivated me.

Your tirade is not going to get your point across to anyone. Being insulting and brutish is not going to endear your ideals to anyone.

I just want to point out two things. You've indicated that your intention isn't to offend. "you did"

Second, your presumption that this was between you and Jebusmc is wrong. This is a public forum. Everyone reads the posts here. So, your words are public, your argument is public, and you comments apply to everyone else who legally harvests fish. Myself included.

Please use a dictionary and discover the meaning of the word poacher. You'll find that you have not used it correctly. And please go out and find some more information on fishery management. You'll see that your view is not shared by much of the scientific community and in many cases Mother Nature herself.

Be sure to read this post carefully before you respond and you'll see that I have not told any miss-truths or exaggerations. In the two years I've read and participated in this forum I've never seen a thread this bad. While everyone can and will get hot under the collar, we've been able to retain civility.

This is a great forum full of many helpful people who all have a great time fishing. Fishing shouldn't be Angry. You are in the wrong here Cathunter. Accept that you were out of line; I don't care if you will admit it to us or not.

The written word reveals the true character of the author because in it resides the results of your contemplation.
Very well put.

"The written word reveals the true character of the author, because in it resides the results of your contemplation."

I really like that one...
[signature]
hey does anyone know bout the season pass at floyd lamb? i mean is it a year long? and is it like jan-december or is it a year from when you buy. i would like to get one but i dont want to if its only good for two more months. and its like 45 bucks?
[signature]
The floyd lamb season passes are good for a year from the day you buy it. At least mine was.. It was $45 and I believe I got my moneys worth out of it.
[signature]
Thanks Dave... BAN HIM!
[signature]