Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
woolly wisdom review
So, I was able look at and read this GREAT book.
It talks about history of wooly buggers and wooly
worms, how to ty them and how to fish them.
Hundreds of color photos and pictures and hundreds
of woollies .Some of those are so out there that they dont
even look like wollies any more.[Smile]
All in all a fantastic book. Im so glad I got it.
Now I just have to get my tying stuff. Its comig sooner
then later.

Peter
[signature]
thanks for the review... sounds like you made a good investment.. :-)

now heres one for you... pick out the strangest one you can find in that book and post its picture and name.. lets see if anyone here has tied it before.. my money is on three people but Ill leave the names out for now.. [Smile]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
Ok, sounds good, just geve me a little of time.
BTW-only three people really contribute to this
forum (more or less) soooooo..........................yeah.[Smile]
Anyways, will do.

Peter
[signature]
I know you have guessed two of them.. but Im still betting you may not know the third one I have in mind.. [laugh]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
I have one in mind, not sure on the other two.[sly]
[signature]
and??? [Smile]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
Ok, I have a fly from the book that is woolly bugger
with a twist.
Feenstra's Emulator.
Its not crazy but I like it. Anyone ty that one. Now remember its a woolly bugger.[Smile]

Peter
[signature]
I have probably tied similar. Doesn't list the ingredients, but states it is a Crawfish Pattern.

I have made flies with two strips of Zonker for that effect.
I do mine in Burnt Orange, but they are green also.
[signature]
cool looking fly.. okay..FG is the first on the list of those who have tied it..

who do you think the other two are...??? (hint: I am not one of them)....

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
Well, DryRod would by one and If not you then Im not
sure [:/].

Peter
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3]Sorry to say no. I have tied so many different patterns but that is not one of them. Well here is one for you all, it is called an Irish Leprechaun. Have to wait until next St Patty's day before I can fish it. lol[inline "Irish Leprechaun.jpg"][/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
[Smile] well I think you got the two main ones... and the third is a probablility... lets see if DR says he has tied it before.. then Ill throw out the third name..:-)

MacFly
[signature]
great looking fly... thats the kind of fly you want to make sure you are drinking a pint of ale while tying.. and.. make sure and keep the wee people away.. they can be very distracting at times.... [angelic]

MacFly
[signature]
[quote macfly55][Smile] well I think you got the two main ones... and the third is a probability...[#ff0000] lets see if DR says he has tied it before[/#ff0000].. then Ill throw out the third name..:-)
MacFly[/quote]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3]I said that I have never tied one before. Now Mac if you can guarantee me that I will catch a good size trout on my first cast then I will get down and start tying. lol[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3]Will the real Scruffy_Fly please stand up and be recognized for his tying skills.[/size][/#008000][/font][Image: bobwink.gif]
[signature]
lol.. now DR... you know as well as I do that there are no guarantees in life or fly fishing.. [laugh]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
bingo.. he is the guess... but with as much tying as he has done Id say the odds are in my favor of being correct...:-)

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[indent]Not me. I have tied very few wooly bugger type flies though I have taught a few youngsters at youth tying demonstrations to tie them.

I think I have caught only one fish with a wooly bugger inspite of it being one of the most useful flies that many better fishermen and tiers than I have.

But I have actually planned to tie some soon but I will put those on the back burner.

I tied my sister-in-law's father a couple of dozen Medicine Lake Specials last spring (not a wooly bugger, a skittering caddis pattern). He said those should last him a few years. However, he did not count on my sister-in-law and my brother loosing them to the bushes and accidents and fish last week. So my brother has asked me with a grin on his face if I would tie up a couple more dozen. My brother claimed that it was about the only thing the bows, cutts and bull trout would hit. But can you trust a fly and bubble fisherman?
[/indent]
[signature]
hey now.. Ive done some of that bubble fly stuff.. even if most say its not fly fishing at least I was using a fly to try to catch fish...LOL>>...

as for my third choice.. you are correct sir.. I thought you may of been one who had tied a lot of wb's in your time.. so I guess we call it a draw since Peter and I both had 2 of 3... but then again if Brook was still around we could ask him if he had ever tied the fly that Peter chose... :-)

MacFly
[signature]
You bring up a good point Mac......where and why did some people leave?
[signature]