Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Western Sierras
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3]Just got back from a trek to the western Sierras. After driving 60 miles on a windy canyon road I reached my destination of the South Fork of the Kings River. Fishing was good but the catching left a lot to be desired. Small wild bows were far and few between. Nobody was having a field day which some said was due to the 44º temps of the water. I found that dusk was the best time on the water as you could see the slurping going on. By the time I could react to my elk hair caddis being hit they were off and gone. 8"s was the going size. Here are some pictures of my trip into the canyon which ranged in altitude from 4 - 6000'. Decided to leave a day earlier as a storm was expected to hit the Sierras. I'd be in trouble not having any snow chains. BTW the picture of a big redwood roots shows how powerful the spring flows are to undermine a tree few hundred feet tall.

[inline "Kings Canyon 2.jpg"][inline "Kings Canyon 1.jpg"][inline "Kings Canyon 7.jpg"][inline "Kings Canyon 6.jpg"][inline "Kings canyon 5.jpg"][inline "Kings Canyon 4.jpg"][inline "Kings Canyon 3.jpg"]
[/size][/#008000][/font]

[signature]
wow.. .wish I had been up there with you... looks like an awesome area to fish...

any count on fish caught??

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
Nice, nice, nice [Smile] Love those pictures. I have been to
Kings Canyon before (not fly fishing yet) and yes it
is very nice there.
Maybe you did not get too many fish but You got
out there and thats a winner right there.[Smile]
Thank you for the report.

Peter
[signature]
Outstanding! Much like our Uintas
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3][Image: happy.gif]Yes Peter it sure makes one appreciate what mother nature is capable of doing. As you know coming up the canyon every turn in the road makes one spot and enjoy the show. Granite mountains are most colorful. Hey Mac caught no more than 6 wild bows. If I could have landed all the strikes, well that would be another story.
[inline "Kings Canyon 11.jpg"][inline "Kings canyon 10.jpg"][inline "Kings canyon 9.jpg"][inline "Kings canyon 8.jpg"]
[/size][/#008000][/font]

[signature]
[Smile] 6 or 60... as long as you enjoyed yourself and enjoyed mama nature.. is all that counts... :-) ... Im just envious is all.. :-)...

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3]If you like it cool - well it was 38º in the morning and high 60's during the day. Love the smell of all the trees, the redwoods, sequoias, cedars etc. Didn't see any bears but they were around some place. BTW haven't fly fish before when it was getting dark for I found it kind of difficult following that dry along the river. Obviously the fish have no problem feeding at night it is just that they can't distinguish colors in the absent of natural light. Maybe that is why the mouse pattern works for a lot of people in the evening.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
hmmmm dont blame ya for not doing much after dark stuff.. unless you got one of them lamps with like 200 billion candlewatts... that way you can sure see them critters that are meaner.. and sometimes bigger than you and you look like an entree in their favorite eatery...[pirate]

MacFly
[signature]
In the time before I lived in California. I fished the Yuba river to dark thirty. I realized it was dark 30 when I went to wade from thigh high water back to land. I could not see into the water to see the boulders and cobble. Started stumbling around in the swift current of the Yuba. Turned the flash light on but it just bounced back off the water with lots of glare and shimmering water surface.

After stumbling a few more steps it dawned on me that the flash light was water proof. Stuck it into the water then I could see without all the glare and reflected light. The rest of the 40 yard wade back to land was a lot safer.
[signature]
as they say neccessity is the mother of invention...and that was sure an innovative way to use that flashlight to get you back to shore safely...

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3][Image: surprised.gif]Fishing late at dark 30 might be inviting unwelcome guests- like black bears particularly in the high Sierras.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
that would not be a very nice encounter...:-)

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
So, Im sorry but what is this dark 30 ?
Please.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3][Image: dumb.gif]My guess would be dusk plus 30 minutes. Perhaps Scruffy_Fly may want to comment since he mentioned it first.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
guess we should not mention O dark 30... LOL..

Peter.. just joking.. dark 30 is sundown (dusk) plus 30 minutes..

now O dark 30 is roughly 30 minutes before sunrise..

I usually use O dark 30 when Im upset with my son in law for getting me up at 3 am so we can be on the deer hunting stand 30 minutes before sunrise ... or.. why in the hell did you wake me up to be on stand at O dark 30... :-)

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
I seeeeeeeeeee. I like it.
I will be using that from now on all the time[Smile]
Thank you.

Peter
[signature]
welcome.. glad I could help.. :-)

MacFly
[signature]