Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fishing for Pike in Eastern Iowa
Just started in March by accident while fishing a new area... Well, I caught a 42inch Northern and have been addicted ever since.

I had no clue they were even around especially in this body of water but they really appear to have taken over this body of water.

Any tips?

I am currently using bass lures, 3-5 inch rapala, gold spoons, spinners etc

Anyone tried live bait?

I have read Musky lures are effective...

What about scent? I read they don't have a great sense of smell...

Anyway, just wanted to say hi as I'm new to the board and if anyone is from Iowa/Illinois there is some great Pike fishing to be had.
[signature]
Pike and Bass target the same food, anything smaller than them that swims.

pike like bass do cross paths and can be caught by the same structures as well.

however pike are a little more oppertunist than bass meaning they are more likely to stay in an area untill pushed out by a larger fish, caught or die.

they eat the same things so its not surprizing that you caught them using those plugs and spoons. (bigger the better)

Live, cut, and fresh dead, and pickled baits works well, just be sure to use a steel leader. and use the dead minnow riggings on cut, dead and pickled fish. It dont hurt to use a stinger hook on live bait.

Pike will punch and nip live bait in the belly to kill it before taking it. so be sure to wait for the second run before setting the hook.
[signature]