Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
need tips on roll cast
i just recently bought a fly rod and have been practicing the roll cast. and everytime i do it seems like the fly get's bunched up with the leader and wont land straight out. i've seen videos online about how to do it any other tips on how to fix this bunching up problem?
Thanks
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3]Hi DSbass - The roll cast can be done best with a double taper line. Found the illustration below on-line
[/size][/#008000][/font]

[ul][li][font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3]- Lift your rod tip up slowly, when your rod tip is slightly behind you stop and wait a moment. This will let your line set in the water and help you load your rod.[/size][/#008000][/font][/li][/ul]
[ul][li][font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3] - Speed up your forward stroke and then quickly stop your rod tip. This is called the speed stroke.[/size][/#008000][/font][/li][/ul]
[ul][li][font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3] - Let your fly line roll out in front of you. Your line should for a loop and then straighten out before laying on the water.[/size][/#008000][/font][/li][/ul]
[center][inline roll-cast.jpg]
[/center]
[signature]
Are you on water when you practice? Need water or the resistance.

If you are on water. Lift the rod straight up over your head (maybe slightly out to the side). You can even have your arm straight up. Let the line drop behind you forming a "D" (you being the straight line).
Then POINT to where you want to go with the tip of the rod. Power it.
[signature]
i was out in the backyard when i practiced this. both are really helpful tips, the video really helped thanks flygoddess. I'll be going out tomorrow to a local pond and i'll try out the roll cast. the pond is stocked with both bass and trout so hopefully i can manage to get my first fish on a fly rod but i'm still learning so i dont really expect to get one.... i'll bring my camera just in case.
[signature]
Think possitive...you are going to catch several!
Do you have indicators? If so, tie on a nymph then put the indicator 3' to 5' up. shake some line out of the tip of the rod on the water, form the "D" and let it rip!.
Watch the indicator. If it goes down, pull the line with your stripping hand and slowly lift the rod tip.
What ever you do...DON'T BILL DANCE IT LOL
[signature]
if you bill dance it and its not a bass but maybe a sunfish or bluegill you will rip its lips off... or so I been told.. :-)

MacFly
[signature]
[quote DSbass]i was out in the backyard when i practiced this. both are really helpful tips, the video really helped thanks flygoddess. I'll be going out tomorrow to a local pond and i'll try out the roll cast. the pond is stocked with both bass and trout so hopefully i can manage to get my first fish on a fly rod but i'm still learning so i dont really expect to get one.... i'll bring my camera just in case.[/quote]

Take pictures anyways. Lets see that pond of yours.[Smile]

Peter

[signature]
today i went to a lake a few towns over from mine and i brought my fly rod to practice casting and getting used to using it (i'm used to use spinning gear) and i was finally getting the roll cast! i think the tips and the video flygoddes sent me help me alot thanks everyone for your help
[signature]
okay.. next step is put the right fly on and catch a fish or two.. with pictures of course.. :-)

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
Nice ! It will get easy after couple of times out.
Someone told me ones- It takes 5 minutes to learn
how to fly cast and a life time to perfected [Smile]
I enjoy fly casting as much as fly fishing.
Just keep at it a you will be just fine.

Peter
[signature]