Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fly fishing for stocker rainbows
Hey guys.. my name is James and recently have become obsessed with flyfishing. Ive done some fly fishi'n up in Provo, Sevier river, and a few reservoirs in Utah. Well now that the weather is cooling down here in Vegas they are going to start stocking the Urban ponds with Rainbows. Now I know its just not the same fishing for stockies but the pond is a few miles away from my house and I would like to practice catching/casting when I dont have time to drive to Utah .Now my question to you flyfishing vets is what will these fish bite when it comes to flies? I assume they have never eaten any kind of living forage until they get stocked. I have even looked into tying some kind of fly that looks like the pellet that they use to feed these fish in the hatcheries. Any suggestions?
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3][Image: happy.gif]Hi there Sil and welcome to the Fly Fishing forum. Might want to tie up a Glo-Ball perhaps in a brown hue to better match the pellets that stocking fish are feed in captivity.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[center][inline "glo ball.jpg"]
[/center]
[signature]
Welcome! I fish Urban ponds allot. Like you mentioned, close, fun and good practice. Not like someone is putting the fish on the hook, you really have to work for them.
I practice casting and try out new flies.

My favorite on the ponds is deep nymphing. I take a 9' leader and attach either a Chronomid or a scud or a nymph to the bottom (some even attach woolly buggers) then I put a tag about 2' up and attach another Chironomid, scud or Nymph. I use an Indicator, starting off at maybe 3' then going deeper till I find the zone they are in.

I will also take a sinking line and try stripping in some nymph or WB.

They can really be fun, specially when you get them figured out and start landing them right and left.

I have never used a pellet fly, so let me know how that works.
[signature]
Hi sister
Would you by any chance have a picture of those flies you talking about and sizes as well, please.So as
rokies have a better idea [Wink]Please.

Peter
[signature]
Wow, it would take a whole page. All I can say is NYMPHS.
It might be a bad time for Chironomids, more a spring summer thing, but SCUDS are a year round food (Potato Bug)
As far as Nymphs.....Prince, Pheasant tail, Haresear, Copper Johns....even Renegades which are suppose to imitate snails which are OUT right now.

I would say a #12 is a good all around size.
[signature]
Ok, cool. That sounds good.
Thank you very much my lady

Peter
[signature]
Also try trolling wolly worms dead slow. Black, purple,
brown and olive.

Peter
[signature]
Can you tube the local pond? Here there are a couple you can, but the rest are shore only.
[signature]
[quote flygoddess]Can you tube the local pond? Here there are a couple you can, but the rest are shore only.[/quote]

I wish.. the ponds here are shore fishing only.

Thanks for all the advice. I think i am going to try that strike indicator method.
[signature]
Being shore fishing only still can have fun with flies. If no room for casting try using fly behind bubble trick. It may not be a purist approach but still fun.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3]I am of the opinion that different waters require a different approach for catching stockers. [/size][/#008000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3]As an example there are several regional parks in my area containing one to four very shallow lakes.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3]There is no current and really no place for the bows to take shelter. Wading, tubing or boating is prohibited. Now the power bait folks have no trouble catching these fish, where as the fly fishermen really have to work to even get a strike. Perhaps I am using the wrong dries for I have never caught one of these fish on a dry. I find that fishing a nymph or midge as a dropper is the only way to go. However, the opportunities for catching stockers in a creek, stream or river are endless. They seem to adjust much quicker to this type of environment.
[/size][/#008000][/font]

[signature]
Albino, that is the reason to learn the ROLL CAST. Doesn't matter what is behind you. The only limitation to a roll cast is standing UNDER a low branch.
Spey casting is all a style of a roll cast.

You are just flipping the fly back out. Shake the tip of the rod to feed some line out.

And a good line you can roll cast 50 to 70 ft.
[signature]
[quote flygoddess]Albino, that is the reason to learn the ROLL CAST. Doesn't matter what is behind you. The only limitation to a roll cast is standing UNDER a low branch.

You are just flipping the fly back out. Shake the tip of the rod to feed some line out.

And a good line you can roll cast 50 to 70 ft.[/quote]

Fortunately the first type of cast I was taught was a roll cast so I am ok there. The type of ponds we have here have no current/creeks/tributaries. Having bait/lure fished for these stockers for years I know where they hang out. So I know where to target them. Do you think that a beadhead nymph slowly stripped would be effective? I am new to the whole strike indicator thing and am a bit lost as to how to rig something like this.
[signature]
You bet stripping a nymph in will work or should
[signature]
Awesome! I'll give it a shot.
[signature]
if I remember right you can go to FG's blog and she has a short video on how to set up that indicator... theres also another info video but cant remember what its for.. :-)

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[quote flygoddess]Albino, that is the reason to learn the ROLL CAST. Doesn't matter what is behind you. The only limitation to a roll cast is standing UNDER a low branch.

And a good line you can roll cast 50 to 70 ft.[/quote]

50 -70 feet roll cast !?!?!?! Are you talking spey here
or regular 5wt rod ?
[signature]
[Image: dumb.gif][font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3]Don't I wish that I could roll cast 70' no less 50'.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
Ive actually gotten my line out about 40' or so in a roll cast.. but it was a series of casts .. like 3 or 4 in a row and giving more line out each time... but Im still a novice.. [Smile]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
went out today about 3 hours after the stock to see how the fishing was and only fished for about 45 min. Caught one on a brown flashbugger. Threw a beadhead hairs ear nymph most of the time and could not get a bite. The guys fishing little spinners and worms were killing it though.. fish on every cast. Those were the only 2 flies i tried. I will go this weekend again and try something else. Switch it up a bit.
[signature]