Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Got some dressed mepps spinners
Never used one and it should arrive Monday.

Musky Killer Spinner 3/4 oz
Firetiger color I believe orange/yellow/red/white

Mepps Marabou Spinner 3.4 oz
Red spoon with Brown/black dress

$8.99 USD

Any suggestions for use? Speed, twitch, jerk etc

Also the reviews for mepps make them sound like the closest thing to a miracle on water... Is this your experience with the lures?

Second question, I'm having zero luck with my spoons fishing for pike... Caught a couple over the last couple days on xraps but not a nibble on my spoon. Any suggestions for speed etc?

Also, I'm fishing for Northern
[signature]
its seems to be true thats you can retreive meps at a slowwer speed then most spinners..its a cast and retreive lure..just varie your retreive speeds..should work..they cause to much line twist when trolled..always had problems with them that way
[signature]
Well im guessing that you are using a big spoon for your Pike? If so try moving down i size. I catch a ton of pike on trout spoons when the bite is slow. Just be sure to take some split ring pliers and some extra treble hooks. Those pike will really mess up them little hooks. Just don't horse them back to the boat real fast and you will be fine. Also i do really well for pike with X-raps too. I just jerk them along and BAM fish on. Let my know if you have any luck with the little spoons.
[signature]
I agree with using little spoons. This is one area of fishing where I found that using bigger baits does not land you bigger fish; for me at least. I've caught tons of pike on trout spoons. You might damage a few of them along the way, as bigpikeguy said. I've seen pike chip the paint right off my spoons. I'd like to hear how they work out for you.
[signature]
the right speed for spinners is just fast enough to make the blad spin, and keeping from dragging on the bottom of the lake... no jerking nessesary. It comes around to be between 7-12 mph...

to fast you will get line twist even with a barrol or swivel snap. to slow and your dragging on the bottom of the lake.

start with short cast in clear water where you can watch the lure come in several times to make sure you get the cranking speed down right. then cast out further and in to deaper waters.

If you can find a river or stream with current that speed you can cast out and wave your rod like a wond and not have to reel in.... mind you, you may want to be standing on a bridge or ancored in a boat.

currents that fast are pretty difficult to stand up in...
[signature]
Thanks for all the advice guys...

I just received the items the other day and since that time I've had work obligations that keep me off the water.

That said about two weeks ago the Northern were rolling all over the water but recently I've been down there and the rolls are few and far between.

I'm hoping with the bigger lures I can get further out into the water and find some big boys hiding.

I might get on the water tomorrow but if the northern aren't biting I might not have good feedback until I find their hot spot.

I will give a detailed report when appropriate
[signature]
the next question you want to ask is, where do you want to present your lure? "at what depth can one expect to find the best results"

Typicaly I have found most of my pike hookups at the top 4 feet of the water. This means I am spinning my reel before my lure ever hits the water to pick up the slack and get the lure moving before it sinks to deap. "dose this make sence to any one else here?"

I know they go deaper, I have seen them swimming at 10 foot depths but not feeding, I know they sit in holes at the bottom of the lake and feed there, but it is difficult to get down to them with much of anything other than a jig.
[signature]
Yeah dave that makes alot of sense. I have a pike fishing DVD and they say its better to cost the bell and let the lure slap the water. I guess it really turns the pike on. I also do this when i fish real shallow in the spring to keep my lure from dragging bottom and getting hung up on the weeds. So no day you are not a weirdo for doing that lol.
[signature]
Musky Killer and Giant Killer are the two most consistent lures I have ever used.

Mepps can't be beat... anytime I am having a slow day fishing my Bulldawgs/Believers or Bucktails... I always go to the tried and true Mepps.
[signature]
its seems to be true thats you can retreive meps at a slowwer speed then most spinners..its a cast and retreive lure..just varie your retreive speeds..should work..they cause to much line twist when trolled..always had problems with them that way

[url "http://www.uggbootsinde.com/"]ugg schuhe[/url] [url "http://www.uggbootsinde.com/classic-knit-boots.html"]ugg argyle knit[/url] [url "http://www.uggbootsinde.com/ugg-classic-cardy-boots.html"]cardy boots[/url]
[signature]
To help relieve any line twist with spinners or spoons etc... I always place a snap swivel ahead of the lure. Works for me.
[signature]
I LOVE MEPPS!

Another thing you may want to try is bulging. You can type it in, I am sure there are some videos on it.

But basically what you do is get the spinner as close to top of the water as possible.. you have to reel pretty fast as well as lift the tip of your rod up. Once it gets to the top you slow down your reel, and it will create a "wake" behind the lure.... pike cannot resist!
[signature]