Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
stocking foot waders
So I was given a set of hand-me-down stocking foot waders but no boots. (no leaks or anything, still plently of life in them) What sort of boot/shoes do I need with them? Do I need expensive "wadeing boots" or can I get a pair or oversized tennis shoes at payless to protect the feet in the waders and call it a day? I dont want to destroy the waders but I also dont have much $ to spend (hence the hand-me-down waders)

If it matters I think they are 3mm neoprene waist waders from cabelas if I remenber right

thanks for any help [Smile]

jimi
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3]Oh I wouldn't go with a pair of tennis shoes. They are not designed to give you support, provide good footing and shed water. You can get a good pair from Hodgeman [/size][/#008000][/font][font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3][$45.00] [/size][/#008000][/font][font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3]for only a few bucks more that you would pay for a pair of over sized sneakers. They might cost a bit more for rubber soles versus felt.For rubber soles But that is just my opinion.
[/size][/#008000][/font]

[center][font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3][inline Hodgman+Bantam+Weight+Felt+Sole+Wading+Sho.jpg][/size][/#008000][/font]
[/center]
[signature]
What type of fishing? Shore or river or are you float tube.
If you are walking or standing, I agree with Dry Rod. Less expensive wading shoes are going to have felt soles. Be sure and clean the boots after every use. THE WHOLE BOOT.
You can also put short sheet metal screws in the soles for cleets on really slippery bottoms.
If you are talking float tube...tennis shoes, aqua socks and several other choices.
[signature]
If there is not much $$$ to go around for fly fishing gear
thats OK.
Just keep your eyes open for sales on Cabelas, Ebay
and places like that. I got some GREAT stuff of Ebay
and Cabelas on sales.
Sometimes its better to wait a little longer and save
some more money and get better stuff that would
work for you better and longer.
Cheap= crap for the most part.
When comes to boots and tennis shoes the answer is
BOOTS .
Once again check Sierra Traders, Cabelas, Ebay.
However the very best way to buy boots is to try
them on with your waiders and maybe ever a pair
of tick sockes.
If you dont have that option the get a pair that is one
or two sizes bigger.
Cabelas has great return program if they dont fit right.
I hope this helps you a little.

Peter
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3][Image: happy.gif]Good point on trying the boots on wearing one's waders. When a I bought my first pair of boots I thought that a size 10½ is what I needed. Nope - had to go with a pair of 11s. You can always try on a pair that you like, then buy them on-line. Oh by the way in this slow economy you can probably work a retail clerk for a discount.[Image: bobwink.gif]
[/size][/#008000][/font]

[signature]
If not the clerk then the owner for sure. If they say to
you NO DISCOUNT then just say-business must be
very good for you this days..............................[Wink]Thank you and have a good day.

Peter
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3][Image: happy.gif]I bought a thermo shirt the other day at Sports Chalet and when I got to the check stand the price she rang up was not what I thought it to be [I was mistaken for the lower price that I had seen was on another brand] but she still gave me the lower price. Guess that they wanted my business.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
[quote Dryrod][font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3][.img][url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/images/gforum/happy.gif[/img]I"]http://www.bigfishtackle.com/...rum/happy.gif[/img]I[/url] bought a thermo shirt the other day at Sports Chalet and when I got to the check stand the price she rang up was not what I thought it to be [I was mistaken for the lower price that I had seen was on another brand] but she still gave me the lower price. Guess that they wanted my business.[/size][/#008000][/font][/quote]

WOW, Sport Chalet goes "by the book" but hey you just
never know. Good for you my friend.

Peter
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3][Image: happy.gif]When you see only a couple of customers in a big store, that's the time to work them for a deal. I play it cool & coy. lol[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
I seeeeeeeeeeee, makes sence [Smile]
[signature]
you were lucky.. lol.. Ive had good and bad experiences with sport chalet .. sometimes ignored.. other times had to run a gauntlet of associates just to get to the dept I wanted ..lol..

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
If you are just using something in your fins, get whatever is comfortable and stays on your feet.

I recently picked up a pair of Hodgman Caster wading shoes at out Ace Hardware for about $25. They are felt soled, light, and inexpensive.
Here is a link to a picture.

[url "http://www.troutlet.com/Hodgman-Caster-Felt-Sole-Wader-Boots-P378.aspx"]http://www.troutlet.com/...ader-Boots-P378.aspx[/url]
[signature]
WOW! That is the same boot I started with many years ago....what a blast from the past!
[signature]
those are the same ones I have but have never used.. and now.. since they have a felt sole I cant see me using them at all.. maybe Ill use them for yardwork.. [crazy]

MacFly
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3]Certainly better than sneakers and less expensive too.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
Remove the felt, or soak them in hot water --150 degrees at least after each use.

I think removing the felt is easier. Then glue on drawer liner - the rubber stuff. It is easier to clean. just make sure you don't leave any parts not glued down. The nasties can get underneath to hide. I haven't found a good glue that I like yet. Some don't last long. It has been a pain, but is less slippery than the hard sole.

Most of the summer on small streams I wade in my Crocs instead!!
[signature]
sounds like a reasonable alternative but wonder if it would not be easier to get a hard soled pair when I get back on the water.. unless of course they make hard soles to replace the felt with...

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
More and more places outlaw the felt soles. So rubber
maybe the only way to go soon.
Also all ( most ) of the boots I see on sale are felts and
that may be the reason why
Just saying

Peter
[signature]
oh I agree with you 100%. .... everyone is transitioning over and the felt you can get next to nothing... so the above is a viable alternative... if you want to go that route.. me.. Id rather get a new pair if I can afford it with the right kind of soles..

MacFly
[signature]