Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
opinions on braided or mono line
I've used mono line all my life. I realize that braided is much stronger and much smaller but I'm having a hell of a time learning to cast it. anyone else having this problem. are there any tricks to this stuff.
[signature]
Braided line has it's purposes but I generally don't like to use it. It's good for thick moss when using lipless crankbaits but other than that I never use it. If you are going to use a braided line make sure that it is coated (Spiderwire Teflon) and it will cast better because it retains less water. If you are not used to using braided line don't change your drag, although it is stronger, changing your drag will bury the line in the spool making your next cast difficult. I'd like to help more but my kids are fighting and I have to go...something about a bouncy ball [crazy] I'll get back to you, lol.
[signature]
I haven't done well with braided...though I don't have moss I'm fishing around anymore. I'd just stick with mono unless you have one of those situations that require a braid.
[signature]
I use braid on half my rods. But I use only spinning reels. My saltwater rigs I run braid as well. Not a good line for baitcasters.
[signature]
Braided line takes a whole lot of getting used to. It has all different advantages and diSadvantages when compared to mono or fluoro. The main advantage for bass fishermen is the fact that it doesn't stretch and that will boost your sensitivity by a very noticable amount.

On spinning gear, it can give you wind knots. You'll cast out and the line will be moving faster than the lure. When you retrieve the lure, you'll have an unremovable knot about 8 feet up from your lure. Wind knots are a SOB, but you usually only get them when you're trying to throw a really light lure, or a really heavy lure on light line.

Visibility is the other compromise. For that reason, I throw a lot of fluorocarbon line. Fluoro has about 75% of the stretch of mono so sensitivity is still pretty good but not as good as braid.

My uses...

Braid - Flipping weeds, Texas Rigs, Senkos, Rattle Traps, Spinnerbaits, Carolina Rigs, Tubes

Fluoro - Shaky head, Spider Grubs, Drop Shot, Texas rigs and Jigs in Gin-clear water, some cranking, Leader material on braided main-line in clear water

Mono - Crankbaits, Jerkbaits, Topwater
[signature]
Martini got a question for ya that i don't understand, maybe you can clarify. You say you use braid for rattle traps and mono for cranks. Why don't you use braid for the cranks as well? Would they not dive deeper that way since mono floats? just wondering your reason.
[signature]
The cranks would dive deeper with braid, but not because of the floating issue. Both braid and mono float. They'd dive deeper with the braid because of the thinner diameter...that is, if you're using the same lb test braid as you are mono. The reason that many guys use braid for lipless cranks (rattle traps) is so that they can rip them through the grass better/cleaner. The low stretch allows them to be pulled out of the weeds a lot easier. However, there are some drawbacks to doing this as you will see as I explain why someone would use mono on crankbaits. I would imagine that Martini possibly has one of two reasons for using mono with his crankbaits. The first reason would be the stretch factor. Mono stretches more than either fluoro or braid does. When using a crankbait with small treble hooks, having that little bit of give in the line helps bass to stay buttoned to your crankbait a little better. With a low-stretch line, you stand a greater chance of ripping the trebles out of their mouth. The second reason would be...perhaps he's talking more shallow running crankbaits. When you are fishing a shallow running crankbait and you want it to stay higher up in the water column, you can use a heavier mono line to keep it up. Both the thickness and the fact that it floats will keep the bait up higher. Hope that made sense...
[signature]
You'll have to try it for yourself, but I use floro for my crankin rods which are a med or med/light rod. It's true that it alows some stretch to help the smaller hooks from pulling out of the fish. I'm with Martini78 on the uses of braid.
[signature]
Humm, never thought of it that way, there are just to many variables in fishing lol. I been fishing for 20 years and when you think you got it all figured out there is always something that throws you a curveball lol. Thanks for the input guys, i may need to switch some line around next year.
[signature]
[quote StrictlyBiznuss]...The reason that many guys use braid for lipless cranks (rattle traps) is so that they can rip them through the grass better/cleaner....I would imagine that Martini possibly has one of two reasons for using mono with his crankbaits. The first reason would be the stretch factor. Mono stretches more than either fluoro or braid does. When using a crankbait with small treble hooks, having that little bit of give in the line helps bass to stay buttoned to your crankbait a little better...[/quote]

Yeah, that's why I use braid for rattle traps. If I pull the trebles out of a clump of grass, the grass is coming off the lure 9 times out of 10 with braid. Mono would stretch and half the cabbage would stay on the lure. And like Strictly said, fishing trebles with braid comes at the high price of losing a fish here and there.

Normally if I'm fishing a crankbait in open water, I'm using 8# or 10# mono. I can squeeze another foot and a half out of a crankbait by switching to fluoro in 6# or 8#, but most of the time its easier to use a deeper diving crank than switch my line. Mono is $7 for 300 yards and fluoro is $17 for 200 yards, so its cheaper to use mono.
[signature]
I use braided line when I flipping to heavy cover and throwing frogs. I also use the 8lb braid for dropshotting our clear water lakes in southern California. I've never had problems casting them. One thing you have to remember is to match the lure size to your line. You maybe using too light of a lure or too heavy of a lure for the size of line you are using. I don't use mono line on my freshwater setups anymore, I only use braid and flouro.
[signature]