Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Big Sur tips?
I'm heading up to Big Sur in a couple weeks & will be salt water tubing for the first time. Any tips about where to fish (I'll be camping at Sand Dollar Beach) and lures/bait, etc.? Thanks!
[signature]
Dude !!! Have you ever been to Big Sur coast in October/November ???
Float tubing over there in that time of the year?
Man, you sure have bigger balls then me [Smile]
Just saying..............

Peter
[signature]
If the conditions are rough I will surf cast and NOT go tubing. I realize tubing might not be possible. Thanks for the concern, Peter! Smile Any other tips?
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]There is some great shore casting along that stretch of coastline. The sandy beaches can produce some great fishing for redtail perch and other surf species. But, if you can find rocks and pools around them there are a wide variety of sea basses and other rock fish that will take plastics and other lures...just like fresh water.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If you want to fish bait, pry some mussels off the rocks or dig clams or sand worms at low tide. Cut bait and squid can work for a lot of the fish too. Ditto for shrimp bits.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]As Peter suggested, the fall and winter months are not tuber friendly off the open beaches. That is when the big Pacific storms roll in and there always seems to be big surf. On the other hand, if you can find a protected harbor or at least some protected water inside a point, where the swells go by on the outside, you can launch and beach okay. Just be sure to watch the weather and the tides. Things can change quickly and you could end up in Seattle or San Francisco.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Light tackle is the way to go for surf fishing, unless you want to heave a heavy sinker way out beyond the breakers. Use small tube jigs and twisters in whites, silver, chartreuse, hot pink and in natural food colors like greens and browns. A bit of orange on them helps too.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Small spinners can be great for fishing the channels and deep pockets along the shoreline at high tide. Big surf perch cruise in there, feeding and will slam a spinner or small spoon.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Good luck when you go. Hope Mama Nature chills a bit a lets you get in some fishing.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Thanks, TubeDude! There will be a bunch of guys surfing so I'm going to wait to see what they think of the water conditions before I consider heading out in my 420. My buddy said he was there last year at the same time and there were some tubers out so maybe I'll be lucky. I'm not risking my neck over it, though!

I appreciate the shore casting tips, too. I've always been a bass/trout with lures kinda guy, and any salt water action is pretty rare for me, so it's nice to hear lures can work. I was planning on just using my assorted LMB lures unless I started hearing that bait was the only way to go. Funny, I'd rather catch less fish with lures than more with bait...
[signature]
GULP- sand worm is a killer in surf[Wink]
But dont tell anyone. Sometimes I have 20 fish days
with that stuff.

Peter
[signature]
Point Sur is the southern boundary of "The Red Triangle". No way I'd dangle my legs out of a float tube in an area where so many attacks on humans by Great White sharks happen.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Triangl...c_Ocean%29
[signature]
Thanks, Peter. My lips are sealed. [Wink]

I gotta hand it to you guys, you've come up with some salient reasons to leave the tubes at home. My assumption has been that (since where I'm going is a pretty popular surfing spot) sharks wouldn't be a worry. Hmmm....
[signature]
[quote peter805]GULP- sand worm is a killer in surf[Wink]
But dont tell anyone. Sometimes I have 20 fish days
with that stuff.

Peter[/quote]

Gulp sandworms aka "Perch Crack" isn't much of a secret... :-)

Before the crack, 1 1/2" -2" grubs in motor oil/red flake (MORF) were the standard for surf perchin'. They still work as well. Between the MORF and the crack you should be covered. Fish 'em on a carolina rig with 1/2-1oz of weight, depending on the surf. Lighter is better.

And my first thought was about the same, tubing in the ocean is sketch enough, but anywhere from the central to north coast at this time of year is insanity. Of course now that everybody said that it's going to be a lake. But seriously, overhead swell wouldn't be a surprise.
[signature]
I think I'll take the tubes & decide if it's safe when I see the conditions. Thanks for all the surf casting tips, guys!
[signature]
[quote michaelnel]Point Sur is the southern boundary of "The Red Triangle". No way I'd dangle my legs out of a float tube in an area where so many attacks on humans by Great White sharks happen.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Triangl...c_Ocean%29[/quote]

You do have a RED POINT there...LOL
[signature]
Here's a way to get out there which is a lot safer. Will float tubes become obsolete?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoCjcIPZl14

Pon

[quote michaelnel]Point Sur is the southern boundary of "The Red Triangle". No way I'd dangle my legs out of a float tube in an area where so many attacks on humans by Great White sharks happen.

[url "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Triangle_%28Pacific_Ocean%29%5B/quote%5D"]http://en.wikipedia.org/...ic_Ocean%29[/quote][/url]
[signature]
Something about that just ain't right. [crazy]
[blush]Got to admit, I have thought of the remote boat.....but more for something to kill time and a little fun.
[signature]
Completely shut out at Big Sur. Huge swells plus wind equals no float tubing and not even shore fishing. Great time, anyway.
[signature]
Yeah, thats how it goes at Big Sur at that time of the year.
But Im glad that you had good times anyways.[Wink]

Peter
[signature]
Big Sur without fishing is still freakin' Big Sur, so it wasn't any more than a minor frustration. Stunning place. I'd almost forgotten what a sky full of stars looks like. Of course, the day before I got there it was glassy and very fishable, but those are the breaks. [laugh]
[signature]
Of course [Smile]
Did you camp ?
[signature]
Plaskett Creek campground, Friday through Sunday. A lot of hiking and stargazing did the trick. I'll keep bringing my fishing gear whenever I go back, and hopefully I'll get a shot.
[signature]
Very nice ! I love going up there when I can.
Keep it coming.[Wink]

Peter
[signature]