Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New guy
Hey fellas, I've been checking out this site every now and then for a lil while. I've loved fishing ever since my dad took me out when I was a kid but I've always been more of a walleye fisherman but I'm gonna be moving to Vegas here in a month-ish so I had a few questions.

I'm thinking of buying a boat and was wondering if it would be a good idea to go a lil bit bigger since I intend on fishing Lake Mead and its a large lake.

I've also never fished for trout before, never caught a striper or LMB. Was hopin some of you veterans could give me some idea of what direction I should be headed in to have some fun [cool]

My profile pic is of myself in Norway with a large-ish Pollock [cool]
[signature]
a big boat would be nice on lake mead because it gets super windy alot out there and smaller boats cant go or have to head in. its always windy out there spring or fall. however it seams like everytime time i go out there the water is a little lower and new islands pop out so if you got a big boat you really gotta watch for rocks. I have had some of my funnest days fishing and gone weeks of not gettin into them out there. lake mead can make you crazy. especially the stipers. you can catch them non stop and then all of a sudden nothing. and you can go a week not gettin them then you catch a bunch. catfish is more stabble from what i have seen. trout is really good around the stocks
[signature]
I think lake mead is almost famous for swamping boats.. The waves can make it seem like the ocean some times. If you want to get a smaller boat you could take it to willow beach which isnt too much farther and doesn't seem to get huge waves as it is protected being down in a canyon. You could still go to lake mead on a little boat you just have to plan with the weather.. I use this site [url "http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?zoneid=NVZ021"]http://forecast.weather.gov/...ck.php?zoneid=NVZ021[/url]
[signature]
any boat is fine if wind is not more than 8-10mph.

you can check weather
:
http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/find...ct=WEATHER
[signature]
I started out with a Gregor 14ft alum boat with a 5hp Briggs and Stratton. I took it to Willow and once to Lake Mead.( a good day) I moved up after a couple years and bought a 16ft Trakker with a 50 hp. They tried to talk me into a 75 hp but money and since I didn't fish Mead hardly at all ( I like north Nevada) I went with the 50. If I have three men and ice chest I get it up to maybe 20 mph on a good day. I have been in one really bad wind storm down in Laughlin the boat did well but one bad wave could have done it. I say if you have the money go bigger than you think you need. After I bought my Trakker I fish Lake Mead alot.
[signature]
I fished Mead out of a 12 ft boat for a couple years. Really limited where and when I could go. Upgraded to a 16 ft 1997 Skeeter in 2004 (115 HP Yamaha) and that was more versatile, had a much better range and didn't terrify me as much in rough water.

2007 I sold that old Skeeter ($6000 in August 2008) and got an 2007 225 ZX Skeeter. I am very comfortable fishing Mead, Mojave, Havasu out of that rig. It doesn't fish the smaller waters as well,. for instance Topoc Marsh, but it's shallow draft somewhat compensates.

I would not boat on Mead without a sonar/GPS installed. Too dangerous!
If you are intending to troll a lot for stripers consider a deep V hulled boat. The ZX is not set up for trolling
[signature]