Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GAS ICE AUGER POLL?

[crazy] I am going to be buying a new auger this season. What is your favorite/ worse make and models? Why?

Thanks for any info.

Tight lines
[signature]
my wife bought me an eskimo for christmas a few years back and its ran like a champ.
[signature]
I've had a Strikemaster laser for over 15 yrs. and it's still running strong. I opened the gear case last ice season just to check it out & it still looks great. It's fallen off my sled when I was going about 50 with my snowmobile across Strawberry & suffered a few other such indignities but it keeps on running just great. Think I'll invest in the first new blade this year instead of just sharpening the old one with my Dremel.
[signature]
I bought a Eskimo Mako about 2 years ago runs great cuts through the ice like a hot knife through butter.

But when you do buy an auger take into consideration the manufacture of the engine. I know some Jiffy & Strikemaster, Augers use Tecumseh Engines older Eskimo do too but there newer models use a foreign made engine and nobody in utah will service it.. (great engine though)

Reason being is last year I broke the throttle handle and cable off should of been covered under warranty. Couldnt find a single shop here in Utah to service it. Trust me I contacted everyone The closest shop that would repair it was in Cedar City. There was one shop in American Fork but I he was going to charge me $$$ for a warranty repair. Ended up contacting Eskimo \ Arisdam awesome customer service they ended up overnighting me the parts and I fixed my self.

Dont get me wrong I've really enjoyed the Eskimo Auger havent had a problem with it other than the one mentioned earlier and the was mostly my fault. But if you do run into problems there's nobody in utah (atleast I know of) too assist you But every shop here in Utah will work on a Tecumseh engine [unimpressed]
[signature]
My eskimo runs like a stallion. I almost get a tear in my eye looking at it in the garage. COME ON ICE!
[signature]
Got an Eskimo, had it sense 75, 78 and runs great...
[signature]
Agreed on the engine manufacture. Get an auger with a Tecumseh motor, keep the little air filter ice free, and put two capfulls of Seafoam in it and run it through the system before you put it away for summer. Should last a lifetime.
[signature]
I also bought an Eskimo 4 years ago and it has never failed me. Even when the temperature has been well below 0 it starts every time on the first or second pull. [sly]
[signature]