Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
3wt line
So, I have been looking at 3wt rods (still [Smile]). I will be
using it in small streams wich may have trees and stuff
around them so roll casting maybe the way to go.
Would DT 3wt F line be a better choice then WF 3wt F ?

Peter
[signature]
Peter,

here is a link to an interesting article that I just read on this very subject..

[url "http://www.flyanglersonline.com/begin/101/dtvswf.php"]DT vs WF[/url]

but the article basically says there is little to no difference in the performance of either line at the distances normally used by a fly fisher...

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3]I use a DT 3wt on my 2wt & 3wt rods. Perfectly satisfied with the performance. Think that roll casting with a DT will perform better. Might want to consider a 7-7½' rod. Want to catch fish and not branches. lol[/size][/#008000][/font]

[signature]
Great article !!! Thank you for posting that. I think that I will
stay with the FW because sometimes (lake fishing) I do
need to make longer casts and it looks like that for
small creek fishing and short roll casts it makes no
difference.
One again, thank you

Peter
[signature]
Yeah, no longer then 7 1/2 . Looks like SAR maybe
coming up may way soon. I dont know how soon but
soon.[Smile]

Peter
[signature]
Peter, sounds like you have decided to multi task the future 3 weight, but if not DT is a better choice for streams and creeks as it will load up at shorter distances.
DT and WF are the same after that first 30', but most creeks I fish I am luck to see 20'.

That is why DT is easier to roll cast. Plus you getting 2 lines for the price of one.[Wink]

Specially on smaller gear.
[signature]
I knew Id heard that somewhere...LOL...

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
Maybe I try to get some good deal on both and use the
DT for Streams and the FW for lakes.
You know what they say-one can NEVER have too many
rods or lines........................[Wink]

Peter
[signature]
[center][font "Arial"][#008000][size 3][Image: happy.gif]Well you can always get another spool.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[/center]
[signature]
I don't know, that is allot for a 3 weight. I admit I have both, but it is because I bought the DT a few years ago and then bought the WF.

You could go Triangle Taper for both...LOL

My 3 weight is DT, but my 2 weight is WF (superfine - also a very good choice for lighter rods)
I have a DT for my 4 and WF for all else.
[signature]
[center][font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3][Image: yell.gif]I'm getting the DTs reading all this stuff.
Why does life have to be so complicated?[/size][/#008000][/font]
[Image: scaredworried.gif]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3]Likewise I bought my DT line a few years ago so
I'm staying with it be it in creeks or weirs.[/size][/#008000][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3]BTW have you noticed the line-up of lines that are available in today's market. Since I was in marketing, a lot of products were made in different sizes, flavors/scents etc,etc for the main purpose of trying to dominate shelf space. [/size][/#008000][/font][font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3]The super market head merchandisers responded by selling shelf space to those that were willing to pay. No pay? No distribution.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[/center]
[signature]
Yeah, I know. I would like to stay with only one 3wt line.
But like DR say, why is life so complicated ?[Smile]
I think Im going to start with the WF and see what
happens.
But anyways, its still going to be some time before
I can get that set up. First I have to sell some unwanted
stuff on Ebay and use that money to get that 3wt set up.[Smile]

Peter
[signature]
oh you got us all riled up over something you cant do yet... man.. you are really starting to sound like ME ..[laugh]

actually I have several different lines for my 5/6 or 6 wt rods.. one really good reel.. and all the lines are on seperate spools that fit that reel.. I think FG clued me in on that idea a while back.. :-)

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3]And to think that it use to be so simple - get yourself a cane pole, some kite string, an old rusty hook and some dough balls and away we would go to the old fishing hole.
[/size][/#008000][/font]

[center][inline gorham-fishing.jpg]
[/center]
[signature]
Peter, my suggestion on a line is the SELECTIVE TROUT II by Rio. Nice thin soft line. Nothing wrong with preferring WF in fact I am with you on that.
There are four lines that I prefer (floating that is)
1. Sharkskin (the GPX because it is 1/2 pound heavier at the head) 2. Windcutter II 3. Ridge Line 4. Selective Trout II.

I also have a Rio Glow in the Dark, Gold, Accelerator, Sylk, Superfine, Wonderline. So, I have experimented.

Heay Ted....here you go:

http://www.tenkarausa.com/index.php

I know, John you saw that comin' didn't you.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3][Image: happy.gif]There you go Joni- just replace the dough ball with a fly. Really when one is fishing a creek like I did the other day that is all one needs to get the job done.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
Ohhhhhhhh, Selective trout II . Thats what I was looking for . Someone to tell me what to get.
Thank you my lady as always[Wink]

Peter
[signature]
yep I saw it coming.. but I look at it this way ... if you had not done it I would of.. LOL.. and the other thing is now a days you can always pump up the float tube.. sit in it with a cold beer.. and your tenkara rig and kick slowly around that old fishing old.. LOL..

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
now how do you think I came up with the rio grand for the mojo rod.. it was not on my own ..thats for sure.. LOL..

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
Selective trout II
Which one ?
[Image: !BdD,TOg!mk~%24(KGrHqUOKjsEq5TokYCvBK3LY05NPQ~~_35.JPG]

[url "http://img1.iwascoding.de/2/2009/10/05/19F84733D5D84EE489EFEB897A2CA60A.jpg"][Image: 19F84733D5D84EE489EFEB897A2CA60A.jpg][/url]
[signature]