Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
winter fishing
i was wondering if anyone could tell me what to do fishing wise in Rhode island during the winter i am considering trying ice fishing but i am hoping there is something in the salt i can put a hook into if not i really don't know i can make it to spring

ps cold isn't a problem i literally shovel snow in 20 degree weather in shorts and a teeshirt.

right now the only 2 options i know of are cod and ice fishing so i am desperate, i would go on party boats for cod everyday if i could but am only a teenager and may only be able to afford 1 trip.

ANY SUGGESTIONS WANTED

i am desperate
[signature]
Once you get in to ice fishing you will wish you had a longer season... I mean Ice Fishing Is Totaly Rad, It Rocks, There are so many ways to fish on the ice it is unreal, half the fun is inventing your own ice fishing gear.

Ya never know when you will make your next million dollars, and it just might be from one of those inventions...

Here is a lead for ya.. good luck and keep us in the know on how the fishing is going there.. even if it sucks, Sucky fishing is better than no fishing [:p]

RHODE ISLAND
Rhode Island generally has a short -- but very active -- ice-fishing season because ocean breezes moderate winter temperatures. The Rhode Island Department of Environmental Management's Division of Fish and Wildlife stocks trout in the autumn season for winter angling. The state also has an active northern pike program for added ice-fishing thrills.

Tucker Pond
Ice-anglers will find a well-rounded fishery on Tucker Pond in South Kingston. The DFW stocks the pond with trout in spring, and there are always a few holdovers for winter. Yellow and white perch are plentiful and should keep jig fishermen entertained.

Anglers can also expect to catch chain pickerel and largemouth bass on their tip-ups.

Most Rhode Island ponds are manmade reservoirs and usually shallow. But Tucker Pond is a natural lake covering about 101 acres. It is also rather deep, with a basin of 32 feet and an average depth of about 11 feet. The southern shoreline has a distinct break line that attracts white perch, trout and largemouth bass. Pickerel and yellow perch dwell in the northern end, which is shallow and flat. Weeds thrive in the northern end, in spite of the ice and cold.

Access to Tucker Pond is provided through a state-owned boat-launching ramp on the northern end of the pond. Snowplows often clear the ramp's parking lot for ice-anglers.

To get there from the north or west, take Route 1 into Perryville. Turn northward onto Route 110. After about four miles, turn right on Tuckertown Road toward the pond access.

Georgiaville Pond
Ice-anglers should find good action on Georgiaville Pond in Smithfield. This 92-acre lake offers great bass and perch fishing. Some pickerel are available to keep your tip-ups jumping.

Georgiaville Pond has a maximum depth of 25 feet with an average depth of 13 feet. During winter, the pond thermally stratifies.

Below 10 feet deep, oxygen levels are often too low to support fish, so concentrate your fishing efforts in shallower water.

The pond can be approached as three distinct areas. Anglers who prefer to fish in deep water should work the southern end of the pond where the shoreline is steep and shoals surround the pond's small islands.

The central portion also has steep drop-offs, but several long, tapered points can be strong producers.

The northern section is shallow and weedy, great for panfish and bass.

Georgiaville Pond has more access for ice-anglers than for open-water anglers. The best access point lies near the Smithfield town beach.

Take Exit 8 off Interstate Route 295 north of Providence. Travel south on Route 7 for about two miles. After about two miles, turn right onto Whipple Road, and then turn right on Fernwood Avenue. Take the first right on Cross Street and then left on Stillwater Road to the beach.

For Rhode Island fishing and licensing information, call the Division of Fish and Wildlife at (401) 222-3576.

For tourist information, call 1-800-556-2484
[signature]
i think i willcheck this out but i was wondering a few thing,

fisrt is when is it safe to go out on the ice i don't have much of any experience with ice on lakes

also i was wondering how to ice fish, i have a rod and reel that i got at our dump, i'm not sure why it was there it was brand new and in perfect condition so any hints would be appreciated, the only ice fishing i have ever tried is on a small pond in my neighborhood once the ice could support me but nothing but their are only bas and bluegills and its deepest point is 7 ft so i didn't expect much.
[signature]
one inch of ice will suport your weight, but it is a fools bet.

you can not tell the conditions of the water under the ice.

I like 6 inches my self, but keep this in mind, there is no such thing as safe ice..

I am going to refer you to our ice fishing board, there you can get all the answers to all your questions from several seasoned ice anglers who are just waiting to help some one...

[url "gforum.cgi?forum=4"][#314fb1]Ice Fishing General[/#314fb1][/url]

I do hope you will come back to the RI board and post your fishing stories.. you can post them on the ice fishing board as well,

people throw things away for many reasons, the rich can afford to, the destitude cant take it with them, and looks can be deceiving if it looks to good to be true it probably is..
[signature]
thanks for the heads up on the ice fishing page
and you would be surprised what can be found at this dump, id say half of my fishing stuff is from there, old seagull motor- works perfectly just needed to be cleaned and someone found an old book that he sold for a few thousand

good luck fishing
[signature]
I love treasure hunting,

even the on line treasure hunt game at geocaching.com
that will require a gps unit, keep your eyes open for one while at the dump.. older modles are being thrown away.

I love visiting the dump, but today in my area we cant get in to visit because of state laws and bio hazards from medical waist...

hope you get a digital camera so we can see some pix of the fish you are catching... here is the last one I caught. a couple weeks ago.

[center][url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/12824/cat/668"][Image: DSCN1340.JPG][/url]
[signature]