Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Locked threads
What is up with moderators locking a thread when it becomes a "little" overheated?
I am reading the post regarding the lunker Tiger, observed a little positioning from members but nothing serious, certainly not to the point where it should be shut down.
Crazy! That thread needs to be re-opened so we can work the angler to discover where that fish was caught!
[signature]
100% agree
[signature]
It was more than just a 'little' heated at one point but it was just boys being boys and the posts were modified and I thought it was over. I looked at the board awhile later and it was locked.
[signature]
The last thing in the world a moderator wants to do is clean up threads and then have to lock them. By the time a thread gets locked there is a lot of lets say "stuff" that is no longer in the thread. Some posts have been edited and others have been completly removed. Kent tried very hard to keep the Tiger thread open last night but in the end it just kept getting out of hand and had to be locked.
[signature]
i agree 100 % as well. that spitting match was nothing. seen alot worse on this board without it being locked after the spitting was over. im sure LH didnt want the guys post locked as well. i feel kent over reacted again.[crazy][crazy][crazy] most of the long time users just lurk anymoore becaulse the board is like going to church now days. i never thought i would ever say what im going to right now. i wish tube dude was still in controll. i realy cant beleive i miss the old board...[:/][:/][:/] thats the truth.
[signature]
That's why I lurk these days. Everybody's afraid of any kind of debate, and that's what makes people think. That's how things are discussed in the real world. Pros and cons. Opinions. Thoughts. I like to think, not just read the same ole reports.

Not much to think about on here these days. It's pure censorship, and I happen to be an advocate of free speech in America. If someone doesn't like it, tough. If the truth hurts, or someone's opinions or words hurt your little feelings, take a hike and crawl into your safe little cave. If one can't analyze fair comment and criticism, then one shouldn't even be reading. Nobody makes anyone else read a forum. We all choose to. (I do so now mainly for entertainment--its better than the Comedy Channel much of the time!)

And hey, this is the internet, the place where most are afraid to even reveal who they are and where they come from, where there are no qualifications, and the giant melting pot of garbage in the world!!! If you don't believe that, then, well . . . Oh, I can't say it.

I have yet to read anything libelous here. And there's plenty of other boards where some good lively debate, controversy, and even sharp jabs are permitted. They stimulate threads of 50-100 posts, provide some new information to many, get everyone involved into thinking, and have never killed or damaged anyone.

"Thin-Skin Tackle!"

Me and Mike (The Angler) are still fishing together though, and he knows what I think, and respects it. No moderation needed.

[laugh][laugh]
[signature]
Yep, couldn't have said it any better!

The only thing I would add is;

I LOVE WOLVES!
[signature]
who cares, he caught a nice fish its not the state record. anyways i caught the state record gold fish at salem pond last saturday, forgot my camera. but he measured out at 29 inches probably weighed 3 lbs.
[signature]
I ask a simple question.
The truth I only wish.
Are all fishemen liars?
Or do only liars fish?

I'm beginning to think that if I ever do catch a real bragging fish, I'll just keep quiet about it rather than put up with the B.S. Myself, If some lucky (or maybe just flat good) fisherperson catches a bigun, I'm just glad for them and damn well aint gonna challenge some nitpicking little thing.

I'm sure glad of one thing that my nearly seventy years has taught me. Be glad for others good luck as well as your own. A pat on the back can make a friend just as easily as a slap in the face can make an enemy.

As for the mods locking threads - good on ya guys. Keep up the good work.
[signature]
Yeah kinda weird really, I guess censorship is in the eye of the beholder. I miss TD too. He has probably done more for this forum than anyone actually realizes. His posts and knowledge are what kept me coming back, and then contribute.
Oh well, I guess I will continue to lurk sifting through the garbage for the rare hot lead on some great fishing.

LDSBFT? lol!
[signature]
[quote Bountyhunter]

LDSBFT? lol![/quote]

Now that is some funny S#$% right there. if it offends you, Oh well tough cookies. But I think that is funny. Like Jim said, if you cant handle it go to your cave!
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Hey, I ain't dead yet. Just chillin' and stayin' out of the garbage bin.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Give the mods a break. It ain't easy with all of the testosterone mixed with smelly jelly on this board.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Thanks fer the kindly comments.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I appreciate the way the BFT moderators moderate this board and feel that too often they get a bum rap for the efforts they make to keep things reasonable here.

One of BFT's sister sites, [url "http://www.freeformfishing.com/"]FreeFormFishing[/url], allows lively debates where trash talk, slang, badgering, etc. are only lightly, or not at all, moderated. Some would say that is good ... some would say that is bad.

I suggest folks pick their place of comfort and participate and contribute according to the environment you choose. I see no need to encourage BFT to be moderated less.
[signature]
I actually 100% agree with you... for a change.. [:p]

Can't even disagree or debate anything or lock.
[signature]
[#ff0000]Removed[/#ff0000] bft is a joke i dont think it's all the mods just one of them that should take a flight did we vote them in? can we vote them out? if every time i look on bft there is a thread locked or moved then ya i think some thing need's done.i would love to have a debate face to face. what would you do? if you couldnt lock or delete me? sit there and take it ?or just leave like most of the good ol boy's have?iam tired of stuff geting deleted becouse no one has a spine to stand up thay hide behind the delete button.be men face your debate's[laugh]
[signature]
I'm thankful that BFT is a family board. The moderators do their best to keep it that way. There are plenty of other options out there for people that don't want to be censored. Everyone knows the rules and how the mod's are enforcing them. If people want to exercise their freedom of speech without oversight, they need to exercise their freedom of choice and go somewhere else. Please.
[signature]
on the locking of threads, if it doesent turn blatantly personal then let it go.

i cant agree with you, but on the same dime i can, again if it is obviously something that gets out of hand (racial slurs, personal attacks) then by all means do what needs to be done... on the other hand i utilize this board as a tool and learning resource and if i want to add my 2 cents into a discussion i will do so in the same manner i speak in person via my choice to use what ever words i deem needed to convey my thoughts, if someone doesent like it they can ignore me.

another board i use for work has an option that you can click on the persons profile on the left, and then click another option to ignore that person, and then the option to take them off later.... an example would be, if i were to post something and you put me on ignore, you would not se my post unless someone replied to it at which point you would only see the reply, would something loike that please thse that get easily offended if i say a word that starts with the letter S? maybe, maybe not.
[signature]
You made some good points. I personally have no problem with people disagreeing or even arguing. I see no reason to interfere as long as they keep it clean. When you're speaking in person you can control your audience. I would like to think people would choose their words more carefully if families are around. It's about respect for others. When people post comments they are there for anyone and everyone to see. It's easier to be crude when doing so anonymously. There are very few sites left where you are not bombarded by profanity. I would like to see this site continue to be clean.
[signature]
I did some massive deletes on that thread last night and this is the problem with all of these kinds of post. If moderators edits out or delete replies, we are accused of censorship and if we leave their replies the poster and others feel like they are being attacked. It is a no win situation for us. We do the best we can do on all post that get off topic. I'm glad a lot of you have thick skins and can take the attacks from others that claim they know more than the person that caught the fish. Personally I don't give a crap if someone wants to claim a fish is bigger than they are. We are all fisherfolks here and it is hard for me to believe that we don't add a 1/2 of length or more onto a fish we catch from time to time, same with weigh.
Locked threads are a personal choice, from the experience of dealing with many many post on BFT. If one of us locks a thread it is only because the thread has turned ugly with personal attack and so many edits and deletes that the thread has lost value and we don't think it will get better. Are we perfect, of course not, no one is, but we try to do the best we can.
I can tell you one thing for sure, it is a thank less job that we don't get paid to do. That is one of the reasons there have been so many moderators come and go. Don't get me wrong here, I'm not asking for any pity, I'm just telling you like it is.
One last thing, a lot of you think this web site has gone done hill but yet here you are posting on it, even if it is to slam us mods, if you really thought it was such a bad place would you bother to post this thread or reply to it[Wink]. A lot of you guys that have stopped posting,is it really cause the moderating has been so bad or is it that the site has gotten so big and there are so many new folks reading it that you just don't want to share all your favorite spots with those you don't know? What I'm getting at is, there are many reasons our old members don't post here any more but guess what, most of them are still here, reading the post that other are making. With all the faults of the utah board we are still the biggest of all the webs sites in this state and have shared more information than any other board, past or present. Instead of trying to tear this site down with all your negative comments why don't you all try and work with us to make this site the best it can be with positive comments that will help us be better. Thanks for reading my rant, this was not directed and any one person, I'm just trying you address a lot of your concerns here. I hope in some way I have but either way good fishing to you all.
Curt
[signature]
Well I have to say the moderators sure are devoted.
Either way, it is what it is and BFT still is the best fishing resource available.
[signature]