Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
KRE
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3]Been fooling around modifying patterns to come up with a new look. The tail is probably a bit long but that can always be trimmed it the fish are hitting short.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[center][inline KRE.jpg]
[signature][/center]
okay you have given us a teaser... care to give details on how its tied and what its tied with please.. :-)

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
YEAH what Mac Fly said....good looking
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3] * Hook: Daiichi 1710 #16
* Wing case 1mm foam
* Thread: Black 6/0
* Rib: Copper Wire
* Body: Peacock Herl
* Underbody: Olive Dubbing
* Tail: Amber bucktail
* Wing: Grizzley hackle[/size][/#008000][/font]

[signature]
okay Im still the newbie tier here so I gots to ask..

when tying it.. tie in the tail... then the copper wire,, and the peacock herl..

dubbing goes on first up to the wing case.. then wrap the herl to the same spot.. then the ribbing.. wrap foam to create wing case (how many wraps??) ...

then tie in and wrap the hackle.. form the head and whip finish...

does that sound about right??

how did you come up with the name KRE??

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3]I have tied several so far and each one I've done a bit different. I lay down a layer of thread by the eye to form a bed for the bead. I then coat the the thread with cement and force the bead in place. Then I tie in the tail, secure a length of copper wire, lay in some dubbing up front, wrap in the herl then palmer the wire to the bead. Tie on top before the bead a small piece of foam. Add some hackle and it's done.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
[quote Dryrod]........[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3]then I tie in the tail, secure a length of copper wire, lay in some dubbing up front, wrap in the herl then palmer the wire to the bead. Tie on top before the bead a small piece of foam. Add some hackle and it's done.[/size][/#008000][/font][/quote]

lay in some dubbing up front .. does that mean first.. ? :-)

how do you tie in the foam?? Im picturing in my minds eye that you lay the foam on top of the hook facing backward.. tie in the end and bring the thread forward .. fold the foam forward.. tie off the foam.. tie in the hackle.. wrap it .. tie it off.. whip finish behind the bead ...

am I closer now..LOL..

MacFly
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3]Whether it is right or wrong I lay the strip of foam down with the major portion towards the hook and after securing I then fold the foam back over itself towards the eye and tie it securely. Cut the tab close and cover with thread. Hackle added at this point. I do several ½ hitches instead of a whip finishing. The holes in the end of a bodkin or threader is great for this purpose as I can get the hitch exactly where I want it to be. [/size][/#008000][/font][font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3]Heck I'm no teacher and far from being a very good tier I like coming up with new patterns. It will probably be my luck to get a monster [12" lol] to break me off and forget how I tied the fly.[/size][/#008000][/font][font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3] Well not really for I'll take a picture if I like the results.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
oh I was not questioning right or wrong way mi amigo.. I am/was trying to picture in my old brain the steps in tying your KRE...

btw.. KRE.. where did that come from for a name.. :-)

just for the record I think the fly looks great.. maybe thats why Im asking so many questions.. :-)

MacFly
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000]Oh I know that mi amigo - for I just phrased it that way in case anyone wanted to offer a better way to attach the foam back. KRE stands for Kern River Emerger. There are several versions that one can pick up in Kernville and here is just one of them.[/#008000][/font]
[center][font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][inline KRE.jpg][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
Id say you are pretty darn close if not spot on with your ties.. awesome fly mi amigo..

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3][Image: happy.gif]Well they say it is the go to fly on the Kern. Will be giving it a try shortly and hope that they are right. [/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
Im sure they are right and I know you will do well with it..
:-)

MacFly [cool]
[signature]