Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rio Sink Tips
Looking for something thats a better solution to using split shots. I do allot of deep water river nymphing and usually pinch a few shot on the end of my leader. But got to thinking and there should be better solution.

Lead is toxic, tungsten can get expensive so I came across these Rio 15 foot sink tips Ive used full sinking lines while still water fishing but was wondering if anybody has used a sync tip on a floating line while nymphing a river.

http://www.rioproducts.com/product.php?recKey=27
[signature]
While I have not personally tried it,I went fishing on the Green a with Jim Teeny a couple years ago and watched him slay fish using his Teeny sink tip line. He had a 4 to 5' leader on the end and of coarse a Teeny nymph(white#10). Worked really well with the crystal clear water. he could see the fish and the fly and could put it right in their mouth. Put on a show for all the people at the launch area. As we worked our way down the river, the water was not as clear and it was not as effective, but he still picked up fish. Search" jim Teeny" on the web,I bet you will find more info on fishing sink tip.

you might also try different rig set ups to change things up,different rivers and different times of the year you will get better performance out of different types of rigging.
[signature]
Personally, I have the STREAMER line. It is a floating with 15' of lead core line.
What James said about the Teeny being 5' length makes much more sense.
I cut mine off seven feet.
Before I did, It was like trying to cast a leader with like 20 BB size split shot. Not like a full sink line at all, they are easy to cast even with a full flex rod.
But not the 15' er.

Now I have the Multi tip in my 8 weight and also my Spey, but that is big river stuff.

Just my experience.
[signature]
Wow you really fished with Jim Teeny huh thats bad ass I Would have love to pick his brain and fish with him THATS ROCKS.

Thanks for the post I'll look into teeny sink tips.
[signature]
I was thinking 15 foot of sink tip then another 5 to 7 feet of leader would give it enough time to sink down but
I guess since its just the tip that sinks 15 feet would be over kill.

What type of sink tip would you recommend Intermediate, 3 or 6 ? on a 5wt line
[signature]
Not so much intermediate although I do have some. You can just use a longer leader at times to get the fly in the same place as an Intermediate.

The type III would be good but at run off or faster water a VI.

If I had to choose one, it would be the III.

I think I would be doing everything wrong if I was to fish WITH a big pro like Teeny. Mostly from TRYING to do everything picture perfect.[crazy]
[signature]
I fish the Rio sink tip- streamers 100% of the time though- I just don't feel like I am in direct enough contact with the fly to nymph effectively with it. Sometimes I roll a big rubber legged ugly with it but rarely. Just go like those Mysis shrimp fishing boys in Co. do. Straight mono on the fly rod- deep nymphing-- probably is the most effective way to go but so is throwing a rapala- don't do either with a fly rod.
[signature]
I bought the 4' leaders kit a while back from Cabela's. I don't know if they even sell it anymore. Sad thing is, I still have them and never use them.
Wet Cell full sink works just fine and it isn't the chuck and duck.

I ask again....what's a Rapala?[Wink]

I don't use mono but I will use 30 feet of it for a leader when stillwater nymphing.
[signature]
I just can't let this one slide. I personally guided Jim Teeny in Alaska many years ago on the Unalakleet River. What you write is correct.

"he could see the fish and the fly and could put it right in their mouth. Put on a show for all the people at the launch area. As we worked our way down the river, the water was not as clear and it was not as effective."

I stood right by his side for a full week watching him snag, I mean "put it right in their mouth," 20-50 pound king salmon. One right after another. Over and over. He "caught" more kings than any other fisherman at the lodge that season, times 10! Using a black #8 Teeny nymph.

Like any huge king salmon actually eats those, or a size 10 white one for that matter. Not a single other angler ever caught a king on a black teeny nymph in 3 seasons at that lodge. Kings only ate big, flashy, mostly bright patterns.

Draw your own conclusions. "Water was not as clear, and it was not as effective" Maybe because he couldn't see to guide the fly into the fish's mouth?

I have nothing against Mr. Teeny personally. We got along great, he taught me a thing or two (I was 17!), and left me a generous tip. However, his fishing style is not for everybody, and his technique of nymphing with a sink tip line is not for most.

It is all sight fishing, watching and guiding a fly into a fish's mouth. More like bowling or tossing darts, not enticing a fish to strike a fly. I have no problem with it if that's what makes the angler happy, but again, its not enticing or presenting an opportunity for a deliberate strike.

So, I wouldn't jump out and buy a sink tip to present a nymph naturally to a trout. There's a reason most people don't do it!
[signature]
About buying the sink tips, I know allot of people that did buy them. Some still use them. It is an aquired taste I guess.
Like I said I prefer the full sink, but on my bigger rigs I like the sink tips.
Need big waters though. I tried it on local river and that 15' connection really became a problem[crazy]

I have the Windcutter multi tip for my Spey and it is sweet....really.

About Teeny...I am sure allot of their reputation is trumped up.
While I was at Henry's, Denny Rickards shows up. He couldn't buy a fish on the H. I was hammering them....guess what, I was catching them on Denny Rickards Olive and Burnt Orange Seal Bugger. In fact I NEVER break off but there are at least THREE toads swimming around up there with three of my Seal buggers and 8 lb tippet.[shocked]
[signature]
Wow you really guided Jim Teeny Wow I really need to get out more very cool [cool]

Thank you for you for insight on sink tips always open to everyones ideas but still poses the question of Whats a solid alternative to deep water nymphing with out using metal weights ???

Trying to find something that long term and sustainable were one can buy one piece of hardware and reuse it year after year.

Think of the benefits it not only would save $$$ on not buying split shots (Tungsten is not cheap) but would also help keep our water nice and clean. [angelic]
[signature]
Its a nice idea, kinda like world peace, but there is no magic bullet for every situation. There are millions of fly fishermen who have thought the same thing, and probably millions before our time, and nobody has come up with a way to make an unweighted fly or line go to the bottom!

With a sink tip, the LINE goes down, but the fly is separated from the sinking tip by that thing we call a leader. Streamers follow the line, but most nymph presentations don't. I haven't ever seen a lead-core "leader" that will thread through a small fly or appear less-visible to a trout. Someday, someone might invent some synthetic, clear, line that sinks like lead. It doesn't exist today though.

There is one solution I resorted to after being tired of dealing with split shot and indicators. Do what I did about 15 years ago. Give away all your nymphs. Toss all your lead. Just fish without both of them. I don't own a nymph, a bobber of any kind, or split shot for fly fishing. I still catch plenty of trout, and enjoy each one WAY more than I ever did dredging them up. Yes, there are times I know I could just hammer fish with split-shot and nymphs, but I don't need to, and I don't enjoy it much any more.

Or, you could split the difference and just fish with weighted nymphs and streamers instead of putting weight on your line. Yes, it limits you to shallower waters, but there's always fish to be had other than at the bottom of deep pools, especially if you're patient. With longer casts and drifts, you can still get pretty deep in slower pools with a heavily weighted fly.

I wouldn't put too much worry in all of this. If you love to fly fish, you'll either buy the expensive weights, or use a little lead. Our rivers have FAR more threats from things other than some split shot on the bottoms of them.

There's just no magic bullet though.
[signature]
I make a sinking FURLED leader that works pretty good as I HATE using splitshot.
Kevlar is the sink portion on my leaders, plus they are STRONG[laugh]

Most my nymphing is with Tungsten bead.
[signature]
I personally decided to split the difference as Jim calls it. I don't enjoy messing with shot and indicators but can't pass up big fish not feeding on the surface completely. All the nymphs and streamers I've used for at least the last 5 years are weighted. Use big tungsted or double tungsted if I really need to get it down deep. You also quickly learn how to use the currents in different areas of a pool to take flies down to the bottom if needed. If all you want to do is snag fish in the mouth pretty easy to do with weighted flies as well in clear water. Certainly don't need sinking tip to yank it into their mouth and either "catch" or spook ever fish you spot. Kind of like flossing for salmon- you quickly harvest a few that way and then figure out it you you like sport fishing a lot better. I usually have a few shot that I purchased many years ago in a pocket that I might break out once or twice a year. Doubt I'll ever bother to buy more once I'm out. Experiment and see what works and is the most fun for you.
[signature]
It was fun fishing with him,very genuine guy. When I owned Hooked I rubbed elbows with just about every big name in fishing you can think of. You see they all have to make money,they all want a fishing shop to sell their products or books etc. My favorite experiences was at 2 of the tying shows I was seated next to A-list celebrity fly tying fishermen(they live comfortably off their book proceeds) anyway as the show went on I noticed I would have a crowd of 8 to 12 crowded around my vise and look over and 1 or 2 people were watching or talking to the celeb. My viewers even borrowed the chairs in front of them. (He says with a puffed out Chest) Those were the first few years after I came out with the Drymerger,the technique was so new and different it drew them in.

It is always fun to try new things,who knows Sink tip might be yours.
[signature]
I have a Cortland 333 sink tip line that has a 10' section that sinks.
I have used it on the Green with mixed results.
I like using my dry line with longer leaders over the sink tip there.
Where I have found the sink tip to do very well, is on still water where I fish buggers and other streamers.
With a 10' sinking tip, I can see and use my line as an indicator.
The section of the line where the color changes makes a good indicator.
A sink tip line can be a useful addition to your arsenal but it won't be a go to line very often.
[signature]
Totally, I agree 100%
[signature]
On bigger rivers- the dry line long leader really is at a diSadvantage VS a sink tip- a 10 ft sink tip is not enough either- 15 ft minimum- a this is just streamer fishing not nymphing. .
[signature]