Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
block heaters on in/outboards
i was wondering has anyone ever used a block heater on thier boats so as to not have to winterize every couple of days.

i keep my boat in an out building where its protected but it still gets cold and can freeze when it realy gets cold
by using a block heater would that help until its time to put it away for the season
any thoughts?
[signature]
I don't see why that wouldn't work just fine for short terms. If you have a V6 or V8 I'd sure recommend putting a heater on both sides. I've gotten by a time or two in the past by just putting a drop light with a ROUGH SERVICE bulb in it under the hood on the side opposite the carburetor. 'Course my engine is an in line & now I've got drain petcocks all over it & can drain it out in a matter of minutes. Works great except for when I forget to close them after taking off for the fishing hole. Sure makes one feel foolish when the boat gets kinda sluggish and then your partner squeals in a high pitched voice "where is all that water coming from?"
[signature]
You sound like the voice of experience Geez!
[signature]
[font "Times New Roman"]I placed ball valves in place of the plugs. I’ve only for got to close them a few time.[/font]
[signature]
[font "Times New Roman"]A block heater will only work if you have a closed system to cool the engine. If it is a closed system can you not use antifreeze? I will place an electric heat in the engine compartment to keep the block warm so it will start easier. However, if it is a long drive or very cold the block will cool down. It’s best to just learn where water will stay and get it out every time the boat is pulled out of the water. I have played with the idea of pumping RV antifreeze in to mix with the water after pulling the boat out. I was just concerned about what the RV antifreeze would do to the lake when I launched the boat.[/font]
[signature]
I just pull the drain plugs on the block and exaust manifold each time i pull out then lower the outdrive while im getting the boat ready for the trip home and have never had a problem. I fish with mine year round.
[signature]
RV antifreeze is the same stuff they use when winterizing boats. It is biodegradable and supposed to be safe. Trying something new this year and leaving a little in the block to mix with any water left in any pockets anywhere in the block. Hopefully this will help avoid freezes and help avoid all the rust inside the block I've been seeing the last couple of years when I first start it up (hooked up to the hose) in the spring.
[signature]