Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
would this be a balaced combo
i was considering getting anew rod/ reel, and i was wondering if a abu silvermax paired with an 7 '6 abu vendetta and 12 pound line.

it would be for a small pond but i need distance since it is from shore. not sure exactly how big the bass in it get but have caught a few 3+

also wondering, if you are right handed what are the benefits to using a reel with a right or left hand retrieve , i have been using a right hand retrieve for a while but wondering about switching

would be for small swim baits and flipping/pitching in medium cover.
[signature]
Well if you want some one to talk you in to it, you have come to the right place..[:p]

as to switching from right to left hand, You will have to learn to cast all over again... and you should be left handed if you are switching over as the reason for doing so... It will be a matter of developing the coordination with your left hand.....

the reels have had a good reputation for years... The rod is by the same manufacture, just make sure the rod is rated for 12 pound line.

If you are getting an already pre-matched combo at a store then most likely they are already matched up properly..

if you are getting them seperatly is when you need to look in to greater detail to see what class the rod is...

buying the two seperatly you are looking at a sticker price from 130-160 for the combo, if you are getting a better price as a combo and that is the style you like then if the pocket book says yes I would jump on it...

just remember, you will be using that combo for years to come... so be sure you are ready to make that investment...
[signature]
thanks, i wasn't sure if it would be well matched and the rod is rated for 12-25 so it should work.. i think i will stick with casting then switching over to reeling with my right hand as usual, already have enough stuff to learn with school in full swing right now

i also now have an excuse to but this, today i was doing a little fishing and the anti reverse on my current reel started to go and my other bait cast rode broke over the summer, one was complete out of my control, i was undoing it for some scup and light see bass fishing from a small boat and while de hooking the fish the line wrapped around the pole and the current did the rest.

ps would this be a good combo for small swim baits and med. cover with jigs etc
[signature]
[#005000]I have the Silver max series but I have the Lighting Rod from Berkley, the reel is for left handed. I found out that since I used spinning reels and cast with the right arm it was easier for me to get use to it. I was going to buy the Abu Garcia Vendetta Rod, but I'm waiting till it comes down more! The rod is brand new from Garcia and it will be out in 2010 but you can buy them on line. I have checked with BPS & Cabela's, Dicks & Gander M. [/#005000]
[#005000]But not saying that switching to left hand is easy to I found it was for me and I love Garcia reels, I have Black Max, and Silver Max plus BPS reel tournament series rod & reel. I use them on little ponds and stump ponds as well with no problem![/#005000]
[#005000]Hope this helps![/#005000]
[#005000]Dennis[/#005000]
[signature]
I can't help you on the rod-n-reel, but I'm curious about which hand people use to cast and retrieve. Being left handed, I cast with my left and reel with my right. I hold the rod in my left hand, cup the baitcaster and thumb the spool, and that works for me. I can't imagine improving on what I do, because the greater dexterity is needed to make the cast. You also need your strong arm in control for hook sets, right? And my right hand seems good enough for working the reel.

That said, I do look at left-handed reels from time to time and wonder. As a wader who now fishes from a float, I'm pretty much a solitary angler, usually by myself, so I don't get much chance to compare notes to see how right-handed people cast and retieve. So do most right-handers cast with their left or right arm?
[signature]
thanks, that was helpful, by the way u think that BPS has some vendettas now but they may be back ordered
i was also wondering what a good price for a silver max is
[signature]
i am right handed and i usually cast using my right hand but then switch over to use my left hand to hold the rod as i retrieve. i havent had any problems so far, but it might be easier switching over as far as not having to switch after the cast, but it might be easier to stay how I've been using it

but what you are doing seems to make sense having the stronger arm holding the rod, it might try it
[signature]
[#005000]Fisfinder401: I had bought my combo from Dick's in Danville, VA and total price including tax was $73.49. That was Silver Max & Berkley Lighting Rod split seat rod! I've seen on Ebay Silver Max going around $50.00 but not including shipping. [/#005000]
[#005000]As for the Vendetta rod haven't heard of anything bad but the Lighting Rod has received a 9 for good rod. Check out Dick's for there sales.[/#005000]
[#005000]Dennis[/#005000]
[signature]
[#000050]Rusty: This is what I was taught long time ago! Right handed casters use the left hand to cast and crank the handle on the retrieve. As for the Left handed person including myself, I cast with the Right arm and crank with the left! I'm right handed in hammering and signature and drawing. I found that it is easier for me to cast and retrieve using my right hand. I don't have lot of strength in the left for pulling and lifting the bass or fish from Lillie's or grass. Jut think that after you cast with the right arm you start feeling the line and reeling in with the left hand, with no switching. Every one I heard that the most miss hits are when the lure hits the water and going down! So I believe that I feel the line from cast to the water and going down! This is only my opinion, everybody has a different way![/#000050]
[#000050]Dennis[/#000050]
[signature]