Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pineview...finally 11-9-09
[cool][#0000ff]I have been trying to hit Pineview since ice season. Didn't make it on the hard deck and didn't fish it during the power squadron convention. Had to hit it at least once before drillin' and chillin' time.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Plenty of chillin' this morning. 29 degree air temp with a cool easterly breeze when I launched at the narrows about 8 AM. Water temp 47 at launch and 48 midday.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Started throwing jigs shallow. DINKORAMA. First fish was a 4 " bluegill, followed by perch and crappie of similar sizes. But, as you will see in the pictures, they actually "measured" a bit larger.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Moved across deeper water. Typical early winter pattern. Lots of baby perch suspending at mid depth and predators hangin in and around them (see sonar pics). Tried my best vertical jigging techniques on the suspenders and didn't get a nudge. Predators are too full of easy pickins. Talked to a couple of boaters that also were frustrated by the suspenders. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]But, we also agreed that the best fishing was from 30 -35 feet...right on the bottom. Once I located fish in that zone it was nonstop bites. True, a lot of the bites were from SMALL perchlets, and I caught and kept a lot of them for bait. Tough to get through them for better stuff. But, I did catch a few decent perch (9" - 10") and quite a few crappies. I released the crappies when I could but those from the deeper water floated. Ended up keeping about 5, including a foot long and one slightly bigger. Released some 10 to 11 inchers that powered down okay.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Also got a lot of dinkster smallies and largies. Did catch a few of each in the 11 to 12 inch range. They will be bigger next year. They were shallow...about 20 feet.,,compared to the perch and crappies.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Broke out my "winter jewelry" today...my boxes of glow goodies I use for ice fishing. I was doing a bit better than a couple of the boaters but they indicated that crappie fishing has been good last week and they had scored well then.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Most active fish were between 25 to 35 feet. Glow chartreuse with a piece of perch meat caught most of my better fish. Only caught a few of the smallest ones on worm tipped jigs. Even the crappie were biting best right on the bottom. Only scored a couple by reeling up to suspenders and cruisers. That is unusual. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I and the boaters were mumbling about them moving the buoy restriction line so far to the east. Wiped out some of our favorite late season fishing spots. The buoys are there for good. No ice fishing beyond them either. One of the boaters was told that they will shoot anybody who crosses that line. That's harsh.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Wasn't bad taking my tube cart down the hill. I think the water level dropped or the hill grew longer while I was fishing. Much tougher to get all my gear back up to the car. Maybe that hill is getting older.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I see that I have been measuring my fish all wrong. Who would figger after all these years that I would learnt how to measure them correctly. Crappie are sure a fun fish to catch.
[signature]
nice report! I have not fished pineview in years. Have wanted to ice fish there for a long time now. With hearing about the limited access points and parking I have stayed away. However I have "evolved" from neanderthal man, (walking on two legs[Wink]) to modern "lazy" man and bought a snow mobile to haul my butt and ice shelter where ever the ice is thick enough to hold a couple of pachyderms![:p] I look forward to the hard deck like no other year before. Bring it on! I will of course have to ask all who are familiar with pineview and other lakes on where to go, but thats another post. By the way, I need to get a measuring stick like yours, all my fish would be MONSTERS![sly]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Plenty of Pineview iceaholics on the board and when it gets going there is no shortage of good info available...or others to join on the ice. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]What? Somethin' wrong with my measurin'? Heck fire I learned me how to measure fish on this here forum. At least you would think that's how some folks learned.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Here are a couple of alternative measuring devices:[/#0000ff]

[inline RULER.jpg]

[inline "REDNECK MEASURE.jpg"]
[signature]
[quote kentofnsl]I see that I have been measuring my fish all wrong. Who would figger after all these years that I would learnt how to measure them correctly. Crappie are sure a fun fish to catch.[/quote]

[cool][#0000ff]Like walleyes, crappie won't win any contests for flashiest fighters. But they are challenging to find and catch and mighty toothsome on the table. Well worth pursuing.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]You gots no problem with measuring fish. Your problem is with that clicker counter. When you get nervous and excited your thumb starts twitching and your fish count seems to climb a bit with every fish.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Five species morning!! Nice work TD...
[signature]
Well, at least I now know how you have been measuring all your fish.[:p] Nice catch.
[signature]
Nice report and pics Pat. Glad you got some pretty good action.

I see you have a new net. 'Been thinking about something similar myself. How do you like it?
[signature]
[cool]Looks like you had a very fun morning! Thanks for the report, TD. It's good to hear that the crappies and perch were biting so well, but I am disheartened to see how far out they've taken the bouy line... They've taken away a great ice fishing area. I know that there's plenty of other good spots on that lake, but it still stinks to see that...
[signature]
[quote Weekend_Warrior]Five species morning!! Nice work TD...[/quote]

[cool][#0000ff]Thanks. Mighta had 6 species if whatever munched off one of my jigs halfway up would have stayed to play. I was reeling up a bitty perchy and the line got real heavy all of a sudden. Then a power dive and NOTHING. Hmmmm. Wonder what it might have been?[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[quote ParrMark]Nice report and pics Pat. Glad you got some pretty good action.

I see you have a new net. 'Been thinking about something similar myself. How do you like it?[/quote]

[cool][#0000ff]I have had that net for a few years and I really like it for C&R fishing, especially for trout and smaller fish. Not so good for wipers and big cats. They don't fit or they flop out. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I put it back in service last week on the trip to Huntington. Those wacky tigers are notorious for doing a death roll when they hit the net. Not good for the fish and takes a lot of time to undo a tandem fly or jig rig. Murder if you are using a crankbait with trebles. The rubber net virtually eliminates those problems.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I did have to remove the fitted rubber grip on the end and shorten the handle to get it to fit into the PVC net tube on my utility rack. But it works fine now.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Yeah, that new buoy line cut off about 2/3 of the prime ice fishing spots. Also wiped out the two humps in deep water that I have had the best action on for late season float tubing the past two years. I had to cover a lot of water and work a lot of new spots to find any active fish. Didn't find any spots with big schools of active fish like I have on those spots that are now inside the buoy line.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I think there are going to be some disappointed auger floggers when they hit Pineview for the first time this winter and find out their honey holes are now off limits. That is going to force a lot of guys to spread out and find new spots. And, the good news is that there ARE some other productive spots on the lake.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff](How do you like my new ice fishing term..."auger floggers"?)[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[quote TubeDude]
[cool][#0000ff]I have had that net for a few years and I really like it for C&R fishing, especially for trout and smaller fish. Not so good for wipers and big cats. They don't fit or they flop out. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I put it back in service last week on the trip to Huntington. Those wacky tigers are notorious for doing a death roll when they hit the net. Not good for the fish and takes a lot of time to undo a tandem fly or jig rig. Murder if you are using a crankbait with trebles. The rubber net virtually eliminates those problems.[/#0000ff] [/quote]

Zactly! Slimers are such delicate fish, and I don't like having to play them to death. But, I don't like them bouncing out of the net either. However, larger fish brought to the tube in fighting condition (for release)require a net - preferrable a soft one. Gonna have to get me one of those rubber jobs for my tube.

When I flyfish for trout on rivers I always carry a fairly large net, but I almost never use it. I'm always looking to beach the fish if at all possible for the reasons you mentioned.

Whiskerfish on the other hand. . . . I always feel like it is my rough old plastic net that is taking the beating. They are such a different story in just about every way.[cool]
[signature]
Does anyone no why they moved the bouys. I went up with my tube last wednesday saw where they had moved it to and just kept on going to causey to mess with a bunch of small tigers. There is a underwater hump about 70 yards from the old bouy line that always produces scores of nice crappie for me during november. Alas, I will probably never get to fish it again.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Something else we can thank our terrorist friends for. Dams are very vulnerable to terrorist attacks and the destruction that a destroyed dam might create. But, I think the potential for blowing up Pineview from a wakeboard boat is much less than just having a wacko drive out on the dam with a truckload of anfo (explosives) and KABLOOIE.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]That is one of the big reasons why they put in the bypass road on Hoover Dam. It wasn't to improve traffic flow.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Intelligence gathering agencies have intercepted numerous plots to blow up dams since 911. That happened when I was still living in Arizona and suddenly all of my good fishing spots around dams just disappeared. They put up signs telling people they could not fish from the dam at Lake Pleasant. But a grandfather and his grandson didn't notice them and went out fishing anyway. Took several police cars, helicopters and swat teams to remove those "terrorists" from the dam.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]You and I must know about the same high spot in the deep water. I had a 7 species day there last year...and have caught grundles of big slabs there before it ices up...and afterward too.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]All radicals should be shot.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Looks like fun TD. To bad about the war mongers ace'in your crappie spot.
[signature]
very good
[signature]
[cool]"Auger-flaugers"... laughing out loud here... That's some funny stuff... Certainly there will be some dissapointed flaugers there in two months...
[signature]
just some clarification of facts on PV,on the relocation of the markers by the dam the dam care taker indicated that the markers were moved to prevent late season boaters wakes from damageing the dam face since the wakeless speed markers were removed, also any one who chooses to ice fish beyond the markers after ice on can do so without fear unless you are creating a wake.....[Wink] be careful because loose lips sink ships!
fishing as been great 14"-15"
crappie wed 30 fish total and 20 nice perch in the 13" range.
[signature]
Those are some damn nice slabs!
[signature]