Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chillin' on Pineview
[cool][#0000ff]I have been trying to hit Pineview since ice season. Didn't make it on the hard deck and didn't fish it during the power squadron convention. Had to hit it at least once before drillin' and chillin' time.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Plenty of chillin' this morning. 29 degree air temp with a cool easterly breeze when I launched at the narrows about 8 AM. Water temp 47 at launch and 48 midday.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Started throwing jigs shallow. DINKORAMA. First fish was a 4 " bluegill, followed by perch and crappie of similar sizes. But, as you will see in the pictures, they actually "measured" a bit larger.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Moved across deeper water. Typical early winter pattern. Lots of baby perch suspending at mid depth and predators hangin in and around them (see sonar pics). Tried my best vertical jigging techniques on the suspenders and didn't get a nudge. Predators are too full of easy pickins. Talked to a couple of boaters that also were frustrated by the suspenders. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]But, we also agreed that the best fishing was from 30 -35 feet...right on the bottom. Once I located fish in that zone it was nonstop bites. True, a lot of the bites were from SMALL perchlets, and I caught and kept a lot of them for bait. Tough to get through them for better stuff. But, I did catch a few decent perch (9" - 10") and quite a few crappies. I released the crappies when I could but those from the deeper water floated. Ended up keeping about 5, including a foot long and one slightly bigger. Released some 10 to 11 inchers that powered down okay.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Also got a lot of dinkster smallies and largies. Did catch a few of each in the 11 to 12 inch range. They will be bigger next year. They were shallow...about 20 feet.,,compared to the perch and crappies.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Broke out my "winter jewelry" today...my boxes of glow goodies I use for ice fishing. I was doing a bit better than a couple of the boaters but they indicated that crappie fishing has been good last week and they had scored well then.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Most active fish were between 25 to 35 feet. Glow chartreuse with a piece of perch meat caught most of my better fish. Only caught a few of the smallest ones on worm tipped jigs. Even the crappie were biting best right on the bottom. Only scored a couple by reeling up to suspenders and cruisers. That is unusual. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I and the boaters were mumbling about them moving the buoy restriction line so far to the east. Wiped out some of our favorite late season fishing spots. The buoys are there for good. No ice fishing beyond them either. One of the boaters was told that they will shoot anybody who crosses that line. That's harsh.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Wasn't bad taking my tube cart down the hill. I think the water level dropped or the hill grew longer while I was fishing. Much tougher to get all my gear back up to the car. Maybe that hill is getting older.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Hey, I see that you have a new fishing net and a new
cutting/measuring board on your tube[shocked].

peter
[signature]
Nice crappie. Looks like lots of fish for next year as well as this winter.
[signature]
Speaking of Measuring board. I saw this and thought is was kinda cool
Leave the apron on and use it for some material, but then the board swivels up to cover the apron.

[Image: p_item_1204767895.jpg]

[Image: p_img_1214392339.jpg]
[signature]
Yeah,I seen that before. That may work for spin caster
but not so much for fly caster.
BTW that guy in picture looks like his taking a dump.[Smile]
But thank you anyways sister.

Peter
[signature]
No apron works for me when I am out in my tube or toon, but for the tupperware or rubbermaid lip people, this is a cool idea.
[signature]
[quote peter805]Hey, I see that you have a new fishing net and a new
cutting/measuring board on your tube[shocked].

peter[/quote]

[cool][#0000ff]I guess I can't sneak anything by you sharp eyed guys, huh?[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I have had that net for a long time, but just haven't used it that much. I decided I like it a lot better for small to medium sized fish because it it easier on the fish and they don't roll up in it or get hooks snagged in it. Not as good for bigger or more active fish. They flop out of it. But, for C & R fishing it makes things easier for both me and the fish.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I keep experimenting with different "sushi boards" and methods of attachment. I am just about there with the ultimate board and attachment method. That white board is a flimsy experimentation model, with handwritten measuring tape. It works fine, but will soon be replaced with my SUPER SUSHI BOARD. Of course I will take pics and post it.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
ahhhh, I knew it !
Good job big guy! I cant wait to see that super sushi
board.

Peter
[signature]
[quote TubeDude] [#0000ff] SUPER SUSHI BOARD[/#0000ff][/quote]

Ok I gotta see this one.[Smile]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Here's a pic of a prototype I will be trying today. It is smaller than I want. I still need to find a larger container with more rigid walls.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The main idea is to have a raised front edge, to reduce loss of tackle overboard and to help contain flopping fish. Next is the bungee cord running underneath the board near the front, for support above the level of the knees. The two PVC Ts are for insertion into 1/2" PVC elbows, pointing upward, for holding the board in place securely but allowing for quick install and removal. No clips.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I have been experimenting with the different principles and have it just about down to where I want it. Still searching for the ideal container.[/#0000ff]
[signature]