Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BFT

[signature]
Even on a short walk the weight is significant. If you don't mind the weight get the regular one, but the pump and the fins are great if you don't have any already. I have both and i love the fins. They are super easy to put on and propel you quite well. The pump is fast and versatile. The light gives up very little in terms of durability, but if your lake or pond is full of sunken timber and lost crank baits i might go with the regular one.
I know kinda confusing answer, so to summarize i would get the light version if you don't have any equipment already and you will be sacrificing very little, if you do have fins and pumps already then get the regular one and make a cart to help with the extra weight.
[signature]
I agree with MADbasser. Unless you are going to drag it, or there is hidden treasure in the waters you will be floating in, I would go for the package deal.
The cover is still just as strong as the regular, it just doesn't have that PVC coating on the bottom.
I can't imagine floating in water with sharp things sticking out...think of the lures you would loose, let alone the tube.

The top of the tube actually takes more abuse. Spiny fish, UV rays....etc.

They are small enough to pick up and carry.
[signature]
Hmmmmmmm, thats a hard one.
Well, I have been in some waters where there are
sharp objects . Old sunken boat docks, even old
fence from before the reservoir was there. Also there
is always some sharp stuff on shore bank that you
may run into when you landing. Broken glass, lures, hooks and stuff like that.
I like to over do stuff a little , so heavy duty it is for me.
If you not going to pack it into back country then weight
is not that much of problem.
When comes to "free" fins and pump, Well you get
what you pay for.......................................[Wink]
Just my 2c.

Peter
[signature]
But Peter, these are good fins and pump. Guessing at least a $30 price tag.
You really think that PVC cover is going to spare your tube in the waters you are talking about?
Most people don't have to worry about these objects.
Not saying they aren't there, I have ran into them, but never hard enough to do any damage.
Like I said, those covers are a little stronger than they look.
My hubby's old SFC was originally red. When he sold it 8 years later, it was now PINK. The sun does more damage than the water. That Tube is still going strong.
[signature]
I have to agree with flygodess. If you dont have the equipment, as you already stated, i must go with the light combo. The pump is a great pump we'll leave it at that. The fins, i have used at least a dozen times and they are great. They move A LOT of water and strap on to anything. They are fairly thin, but as long as you are not kicking like a shark is chasing you, you should be fine. Like i said i have used them a dozen times, they are comfortable, light wight and so far very durable.

Go with the light combo, have fun, save up some money and get some better fins in due time. I'm confident these will still be there and serve as good back up's when your "new" fins crap out.
[signature]
Well, I guess as long as he goes easy on things, everything shoud be ok.

Peter
[signature]
Their pontoons don't have the PVC on the bottom...how about SHIG and Idahoron tell us how they are holding up.
[signature]
good idea [Wink]
[signature]
I'm assuming the 420 light version uses the nylon covering on the entire tube. Call me a skeptic, BUT... my 420 has PVC for the floor of the storage area behind the seat as well as the seat cover and sides of the seat back. I'm thinking these areas are going to hold up better over time and heavy use if made of the PVC material.
[signature]
Got a good point there. I have no idea what the back part and the bottom of the seat are made of on the light.

I have been reading allot of posts on other sites about either. They both get great reviews, with the covers holding up for the past two years or so.
Like the older models, did they have the PVC or is that more recent?

Most that have them are satisfied, but a few reports of leaks in the seams of the bladders. Fully covered by warranty though[Wink]
[signature]
[quote FishingGuy]I want to buy a OCD420 or OCD420 light (I can get either one for the same price). The light comes with fins and a hand pump but has the lighter cover on the bottom. So are the fins and hand pump (quality wise) worth giving up for the heavy cover on the bottom of the OCD42O. Weight of the tubes is not a factor since I won't be packing them into the wilderness, just a short walk to the lake.

Thanks
Sheldon[/quote]

I guess NOW is as good a time as ever to jump "into the water" (pun intended). [Smile]

New to the forum posting, but have been lurking for a long time. I'm in the same boat (ALSO pun intended [Wink]) as Sheldon. I'm looking forward to hearing all the feedback and follow-ups!

BTW, I'm from the Midwest, fish mostly small lakes and farm ponds (mostly for bass). Currently have an OLD Fishmaster doughnut and a Creek Company U-Boat II. Want to update to either an ODC420 HD or Light, or a Super Fat Cat. Would prefer the SFC (I weigh about 250), but - again like Sheldon - I'm "counting my pennies" too. [:/]

Bob
[signature]
Welcome ydoc, hope you get what will work for you and hope you jump in more often!
[signature]
7000 posts for you [Wink]
[signature]
WOHOOOOO!
[signature]
[quote flygoddess]Welcome ydoc, hope you get what will work for you and hope you jump in more often![/quote]

Thanks for the warm-welcome. I've followed your and TUBEDUDE's exploits for quite a while now. I've got TONS of all of your links and pics for mod-ideas when I get my ODC or SFC. I can't begin to thank you all enough! [Smile]
[signature]
Though I don't use my 'toon as much as I used to, the bags held up pretty well. That said, I didn't much drag it over rocks or brush or bomb it over rapids!

My advice, though, would be that if you're hauling it less than a quarter mile to the water, get the standard and have some peace of mind. It's just a few pounds, not like the difference between my tube and my pontoon! Smile

_SHig
[signature]
[quote SHigSpeed]Though I don't use my 'toon as much as I used to, the bags held up pretty well. That said, I didn't much drag it over rocks or brush or bomb it over rapids!

_SHig[/quote]

Did something happen to the toon? Bags held up well?
[signature]
Nothing wrong with the 'toon, just been travelling light these days. Bags are like new.

_SHig
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Go for the lightweight and the extra goodies.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If you are careful about where you launch and return...and don't bounce your craft on broken glass, nails, stickers, etc...you should not sacrifice anything in potential damage to your tube. It always pays to be careful, no matter what kind of tube you have.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I fished from regular float tubes with simple nylon covers for many years. Never had a PVC bottom on any of my craft until I got my first Super Fat Cat. The only leaks I ever developed were my own fault...or happened when spiny fish got "up close and personal" with an air chamber.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Good luck and let us help if you need it.[/#0000ff]
[signature]