Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Advice on Waders?
As long as Sheldon asked a question regarding tubes (ODC 420 Regular or the Light package), I thought I'd ask your opinions on waders.

I started out with the old-style rubber stockingfoot (SF) waders. I've had them for probably 20-25 years and they're still "good". I got one leak in them over that time, but they were easy to patch with a tire/innertube-type patch. Only problem is, is that they've "shrunk". [Image: 03.gif]

But what I DID like about them was the ability to use readily available (and cheap) "scuba-fins" over the top.

I also like SF waders because I feel that I can flex my foot/ankle more while "flipping" for a better "push".

But since I put on my waders at the car, they also require me to slip on a pair of old shoes to walk down to the water. (Just something else to drag along/dry out.)

I now have a pair of neoprene SF waders that are leaking pretty good, so I'm in the market for a new pair. I like the neoprene in that they offer pretty good insulation for colder waters (jeans only down to about 48*)... but they aren't the easiest to seal if you start getting any leaks around the seams.

OK, my questions...
[ol][/ol]1. Do you use stocking-foot or boot-foot waders and why?

2. If BF waders, do you have/sense any limitation in your ability to "flipper"?

3. If BF waders, what flippers do you use with the boots? (I'd need size 13 or 14 BF waders, so am concerned that flippers wouldn't be big enough to go over the boots!)

4. I'm looking for waders that would be less than $100... and even closer to the $65-75 range, so I don't need the REAL GOOD stuff. What waders would you
recommend?

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!
[signature]
Breathable stocking foot! An ODC420 or SFC will keep your behind out of the H2O and a breathable will keep you warm enough (wear longjohns and two pair of socks in very cold water) and be more comfortable to sit in for extended periods of time. Hit a discount store next Spring and buy a cheap pair of rubber "soccer slides" or those rubber garden shoes to get you from car to pond and back.

I'm glad to have someone else from my neck of the woods (Okoboji... NW Iowa) pop in here from time to time.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Obviously, this is a question to which you will get a variety of answers. Very subjective and a matter of personal opinion. Here is my input.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Some of the considerations:[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]1. How cold is the coldest water you will be tubing?[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]2. How big are you?[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]3. What is your budget?[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]4. Will you be using one pair of waders year round?[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Let's begin with #4. If you will be using the same waders year round, go for a pair of lightweight breathable waders. But, get them in a size large enough to allow you to add a couple of layers of warmth without choking yourself. Best to take your layers with you and try the waders on to see how they fit. Lots of difference in the way different waders from different manufacturers fit you. If they are made "offshore" it can be even worse. A size 2XL from one source may be smaller than a size L from another source. And, some cut their waders to fit tightly in the legs and ankles. That is for the wading angler who does not want a lot of water resistance while wade fishing. Tubers want looser fit to allow more layers.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Number 1...How cold will the water be. In your part of the country the water freezes, so if you tube right up until ice over you will need max protection. But you can get by with 3 MM neoprene. You don't need 5 MM. And, you can get by with lightweight waders with extra insulation. I tube in Utah and I am in the water until it is frozen. I use 3 mm neoprene in the cold months and a separate pair of breathables during warmer months. I have two layers of fleece under the neoprenes and two layers of wool socks. I don't even feel the cold. One of the big issues is foot constriction. Doesn't matter how much wool you have if your foot coverings are too tight and blood flow is shut off. Get big enough booties and fins to allow the wool to work.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]#2...How big are you. I am over 250. I can wear 2XL waders from most manufacturers...without a lot of extra layers. But, for cold water fishing I have to go to a 4XL King to provide enough room for both me and my layers. Again, you should dress up and try on any waders you are considering.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]#3...Budget. You can spend hundreds of dollars for waders. Not necessary. Hodgman makes poor lightweight waders that leak a lot. But, their neoprenes (now made by Stearns) are pretty good for the money. I got over 3 years of hard use out of the last pair and just bought a new pair for about $70. Seam leaks are easily repairable with either neoprene cement or Aquaseal. Ditto for pinholes or minor tears.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Stick with the stockingfoot waders. If you have big feet, you may have to go online to a dive shop and buy size 15 or 16 lowcut diving boots with a rigid sole to protect your wader feet. I can give you a link where you can get some for about $30. I wear a size 13 shoe and I got size 16 to fit over the waders and socks for me. They work fine.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Don't buy fins until you have the waders and booties. Then get the largest fins you can with the budget you have. There are fins available that are adjustable and lace on and will fit over wading shoes or boot foot waders. However, they are usually not the most efficient at propulsion.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]That okay for starters?[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[quote ydoc]As long as Sheldon asked a question regarding tubes (ODC 420 Regular or the Light package), I thought I'd ask your opinions on waders.

I started out with the old-style rubber stockingfoot (SF) waders. I've had them for probably 20-25 years and they're still "good". I got one leak in them over that time, but they were easy to patch with a tire/innertube-type patch. Only problem is, is that they've "shrunk". [.img]http://mail.yimg.com/a/i/mesg/tsmileys2/03.gif[/img]

But what I DID like about them was the ability to use readily available (and cheap) "scuba-fins" over the top.

I also like SF waders because I feel that I can flex my foot/ankle more while "flipping" for a better "push".

But since I put on my waders at the car, they also require me to slip on a pair of old shoes to walk down to the water. (Just something else to drag along/dry out.)

I now have a pair of neoprene SF waders that are leaking pretty good, so I'm in the market for a new pair. I like the neoprene in that they offer pretty good insulation for colder waters (jeans only down to about 48*)... but they aren't the easiest to seal if you start getting any leaks around the seams.

OK, my questions...
[ol][/ol]1. Do you use stocking-foot or boot-foot waders and why?

2. If BF waders, do you have/sense any limitation in your ability to "flipper"?

3. If BF waders, what flippers do you use with the boots? (I'd need size 13 or 14 BF waders, so am concerned that flippers wouldn't be big enough to go over the boots!)

4. I'm looking for waders that would be less than $100... and even closer to the $65-75 range, so I don't need the REAL GOOD stuff. What waders would you
recommend?

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!![/quote]

ME, ME, ME< I have boot foot breathable hippers. I wear them 99% of the time I am on my toon. Obvious they won't work on a tube as the seat will and does collect some water[laugh]

I absolutely LOVE the ease of them. I can wear any of the buckle style flippers. Even some of the scubas, but as TD said, try them on.
I use Force Fins as the Neoprene upper and heal do not wear out my boot.
My boots are 10 years old this year and never had a leak, except when I stepped too deep in a river[shocked][laugh]

I would take everything that has been mentioned, specially how much do you plan on using them.

I have Neoprenes and haven't worn them since I bought my first pair of breathables many years ago. Don't need to. I fish year round and stand in rivers with ice floating down.
The right layering...and NO COTTON which means Levis. Cotton does not wick away moisture, you sweat, it gets cold.

BUT, if on a budget, Neoprene is the answer. You can get a pair for darn near the price of a lure these days.
They would make more sense if you ice fish also....(just remember...NO COTTON)
Good long lasting breathables are not cheap, but add to that the right under garments and it can be real expensive.
As I said, I fish year round so it is worth it to me.
[signature]
I have a pair of neoprene boot foot chest waders I used once with Outcast flippers. I think they were $100 or near that at Gander Mountain. .
They are not totally worthless, but too closte to count. That size 12 boot will just barely fit in the flipper and there is not a chance of getting cold because you will be thrashing around just trying to move.
If you decide firmly on boot foot I have a pair of nice size 12 worn ONCE for about 15 min. $50.00 now Illinoisgiller
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Didja get yours at Victoria's Secret?[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Doubt they would have my size.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
How did you Know![blush]

No, ORVIS of course, and they are on sale AND they go up to a size 14.

http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=60L4

I actually have the breathable boot foot AND an older Canvas type Orvis hipper.
But that is plenty for Pontoons. Didn't work with my Navi, H3, or SFC
[signature]
ydoc, Tubedude is right. You will get as many opinions as there are fishermen and fisherwomen. Here is mine.

I have owned and used different types and makes of waders over the years. I have never really been satisfied with any. There is a lot advantages and diSadvantages of all types of waders. I have never been totally satisfied with any until I purchased my Simms G3 Gortex.

Ya I know they very expensive. I'm not a rich man. I usually buy middle of the road. Not the most expensive and not the cheapest. Most bang for the buck so to speak. But the waders I have used in the past did not give me the comfort I was looking for. Being warm dry and comfortable is the single most important thing to me when fishing.

So I purchased a pair of G3 convertibles this summer and I can't say enough how warm dry and comfortable and how well they breath and how much I really really love them.

They are easy to get on and off, I have fished with them on 80 degree days in warm water and 30 degree days in almost freezing water and kept warm and dry and comfortable.

They have neoprene booties built in and other than my feet got cold when fishing for 8 hours in 37 degree water with TD a couple weeks ago, (my fault for not wearing more that one pair of socks) I have been very comfortable.

Long story short, I feel it was worth the investment. Knowing how comfortable they are, how well they perform, I will not buy anything else ever again.

Just my 2 cents worth!

Glad to have you with us on this board. Lots of wonderful people here to help with questions.
[signature]
Mad, what breathables other than the Simms have you owned?

Oh and Poky has the G 3's. Two years old and Oh Oh! Last trip a week ago...pant leg sopping wet.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Could it be an "inside job"...from too much barley soda?[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Nope...he quit drinking...seriously.
[signature]
Thanks TubeDude!!! [Image: zbow.gif]

It sounds like we're about the same size... so let me address some of your questions and comments...

This is the first year that I fished anything CLOSE to "cold-water". My leaky 3m neoprene waders made it colder than it really was (wet is/was almost as bad as your tight booties!), but I fished in water temps of about 48* I really wasn't cold (even though wet). I fish mostly for LMB, so it's likely the "fish-bite" would be a larger factor than the water temp.

How big am I? I must be a "mini-me"-TubeDude! [Image: lol.gif] I'm 6', 250, and also wear a size 13-14 shoe.

Budget? Your "less than $100" sounds good to me! I'll be sure to check out the Hodgeman's, thanks!

Yes, I intend to use the same pair of waders year-round. My old rubber and leaky-neoprene were OK with the "cooler" waters, and being "submerged" as I was in the FM-doughnut, I was also cool during the summer.

But at the other poster mentioned - and I hadn't thought of that - being in an ODC/Cat/H3, I'd be a LOT higher out of the water... so breathable would be a lot cooler during the hot summer months!

You also mentioned fins... up to now, I've used "scuba" type fins over my neoprene boots. Like you, I felt that the over-a-BOOT styled wouldn't offer the same fit nor propulsion efficiencies offered by a scuba fin. By looking around some, I was able to find some (BodyGlove I think) that had a bigger foot-box that accomodated my 14's AND waders! [Image: SM_SS_rubeyes2.gif]

I don't wear anything "between" the waders and the fins. But, I put on my waders at the car and walk down to the water. To protect the waders, I use an old pair of those cheap nylon mesh beach or "water-shoes". I need to get a bigger pair to fit "good" over the waders... but they're a little difficult to find in November in Nebraska. <g>

Thanks again for sharing your wealth of information!

Bob

[quote TubeDude][cool][#0000ff]Obviously, this is a question to which you will get a variety of answers. Very subjective and a matter of personal opinion. Here is my input.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Some of the considerations:[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]1. How cold is the coldest water you will be tubing?[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]2. How big are you?[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]3. What is your budget?[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]4. Will you be using one pair of waders year round?[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Let's begin with #4. If you will be using the same waders year round, go for a pair of lightweight breathable waders. But, get them in a size large enough to allow you to add a couple of layers of warmth without choking yourself. Best to take your layers with you and try the waders on to see how they fit. Lots of difference in the way different waders from different manufacturers fit you. If they are made "offshore" it can be even worse. A size 2XL from one source may be smaller than a size L from another source. And, some cut their waders to fit tightly in the legs and ankles. That is for the wading angler who does not want a lot of water resistance while wade fishing. Tubers want looser fit to allow more layers.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Number 1...How cold will the water be. In your part of the country the water freezes, so if you tube right up until ice over you will need max protection. But you can get by with 3 MM neoprene. You don't need 5 MM. And, you can get by with lightweight waders with extra insulation. I tube in Utah and I am in the water until it is frozen. I use 3 mm neoprene in the cold months and a separate pair of breathables during warmer months. I have two layers of fleece under the neoprenes and two layers of wool socks. I don't even feel the cold. One of the big issues is foot constriction. Doesn't matter how much wool you have if your foot coverings are too tight and blood flow is shut off. Get big enough booties and fins to allow the wool to work.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]#2...How big are you. I am over 250. I can wear 2XL waders from most manufacturers...without a lot of extra layers. But, for cold water fishing I have to go to a 4XL King to provide enough room for both me and my layers. Again, you should dress up and try on any waders you are considering.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]#3...Budget. You can spend hundreds of dollars for waders. Not necessary. Hodgman makes poor lightweight waders that leak a lot. But, their neoprenes (now made by Stearns) are pretty good for the money. I got over 3 years of hard use out of the last pair and just bought a new pair for about $70. Seam leaks are easily repairable with either neoprene cement or Aquaseal. Ditto for pinholes or minor tears.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Stick with the stockingfoot waders. If you have big feet, you may have to go online to a dive shop and buy size 15 or 16 lowcut diving boots with a rigid sole to protect your wader feet. I can give you a link where you can get some for about $30. I wear a size 13 shoe and I got size 16 to fit over the waders and socks for me. They work fine.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Don't buy fins until you have the waders and booties. Then get the largest fins you can with the budget you have. There are fins available that are adjustable and lace on and will fit over wading shoes or boot foot waders. However, they are usually not the most efficient at propulsion.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]That okay for starters?[/#0000ff][/quote]
[signature]
[quote MaDFisher55]Glad to have you with us on this board. Lots of wonderful people here to help with questions.[/quote]

Thanks for the warm-welcome! I lurked here for a while before sticking my toe in to test the waters. I couldn't agree with you more about the "wonderful people" here! [Image: 2thumbsup.gif]

Bob
[signature]
Tube Dude also said that the Breathable Hodgeman's were NOT good.
Just a thought, but TD also will go without waders in the warm months...just regular clothes.
OR if price is that much of an issue that you are considering Hodgeman breathable, just remember, you could fold the bib part down on neoprenes so they are just pants.
Just your seat gets wet in the V tubes
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Good luck in getting your new waders and footwear. You probably don't need to worry much about it until spring approaches. By that time there will be spring sales and new products available on the market. Keep your eye on the suppliers for announcements and sales.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]One point that a lot of us do not really consider. The main reason we wear booties or water shoes over the neoprene foot sections of our waders is to protect them while walking on potentially hazardous surfaces between the time we put them on and the time we hit the water. It is OKAY to walk a short distance without a hard sole but not advisable. If you are going to carry your gear a ways from the vehicle, you can wear ANYTHING that will protect the bottom of your wader feet...strap on soles, sandals...even a cloth bag.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Whatever floats your boat...errrrr, tube.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Ydoc... In our region of the country Cabela's is a great source for fishing/outdoor gear. I have been quite happy with their Dri-Plus breathables. The temperatures that you and I fish can be comfortably endured with these and I find them to be considerably more comfortable to sit in for hours at a time than neoprene. Late May thru early October finds me "bare legging" it in quick dry nylon swim shorts. It sounds as if we are similarly insulated naturally!

Steve
[signature]
Thanks Steve. I have an "employee discount" invitation for Cabela's this weekend, I'll be sure to check them out!

And as for being "similarly insulated" [Image: 03.gif], my "insulation" has given way some to age. I just don't care to get cold any more. And between that and the "critters" (those you can see and those you CAN'T see) in the water, I think I'd prefer to wear waders all the time.

Thanks again!

Bob

[quote Steve_IA]Ydoc... In our region of the country Cabela's is a great source for fishing/outdoor gear. I have been quite happy with their Dri-Plus breathables. The temperatures that you and I fish can be comfortably endured with these and I find them to be considerably more comfortable to sit in for hours at a time than neoprene. Late May thru early October finds me "bare legging" it in quick dry nylon swim shorts. It sounds as if we are similarly insulated naturally!

Steve[/quote]
[signature]
[quote flygoddess]Mad, what breathables other than the Simms have you owned?

Oh and Poky has the G 3's. Two years old and Oh Oh! Last trip a week ago...pant leg sopping wet.[/quote]

These are the first breathables I have owned. Mine are the convertables. I have some old rubber hippers I used when I first got my toons. Seems that my ass was always wet so I like the full waders.

Im sorry to hear about Pokys G3's I know mine will leak some day but they look like they are easily repaired. But again its the comfort factor.

Any one want my old leaky Hodgman Neo's?
[signature]
Oh, I thought you had bad experiences with other brands.
I started off with the Hodgman Neoprene, then advanced to their full breathables. They were one of the first to offer lightweights around here.
I remember freaking out cause they cost $129.
Later they cam out with a waist high that bought. Those things didn't last 6 months, but the chest waders were still good.
Several years later, I bought Orvis. Those Hodgeman's still had no leaks, so I gave them to my sister, who wore them till last year when her hubby bought her Simms on sale.

What I am getting at is there are some good waders and some bad. Some good ones for around the $200. range. I still can get around that $400. for waders. And there is allot of MATERIAL out there as good as GORE-TEC these days.

I look at William Joseph, L.L. Bean, Patagonia, and Cabela for waders.
[signature]
[quote flygoddess]Oh, I thought you had bad experiences with other brands.
I started off with the Hodgman Neoprene, then advanced to their full breathables. They were one of the first to offer lightweights around here.
I remember freaking out cause they cost $129.
Later they cam out with a waist high that bought. Those things didn't last 6 months, but the chest waders were still good.
Several years later, I bought Orvis. Those Hodgeman's still had no leaks, so I gave them to my sister, who wore them till last year when her hubby bought her Simms on sale.

What I am getting at is there are some good waders and some bad. Some good ones for around the $200. range. I still can get around that $400. for waders. And there is allot of MATERIAL out there as good as GORE-TEC these days.

I look at William Joseph, L.L. Bean, Patagonia, and Cabela for waders.[/quote]

I know its hard to get around that 379.00 plus tax.

Its not that I have bad experiences. I just have never been satasified with other waders. They have been off band and no name and usually under a 100 bucks. They dont last and they were not breathable. So I was either wet from water cause they all leaked very early, or I sweat in them AND most were hard to get on and off especially the Neoprenes. I have never used Orvis or some of the name brands you have.

I dont know where the others are made but Simms are made in Montana. That counts for a lot. Keeps American workers working. I would not pay for the expensive Simms sportware as its all imported.

But...... Lets say that my Simms last 4 years. Thats less than a 100 bucks a year for the comfort they give me. Im not saying everyone should plunk down 400 for a pair. Its a personal choice, but for me its worth it.

If they only last 2 years well then I may have to look in a different direction. Im hoping they get me thru 5 years. Thats only 80.00 a year. That may optimistic, but Im hoping.

I rarely buy the most expensive unless there is a very good reason. Comfort. Thats my good reason.

Will let you know in 4 years if it was the right choice.[Wink]
[signature]