Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Winter Project
Winter is on it's way. I don't mind the snow, even a little cold.
I draw the line if I am deicing every cast however[Wink]
Wind....HATE IT
So those days I usually stay in and tie flies or building Furled leaders, but this year....ROD BUILDING:

I am working on a Glass rod with a little graphite built in to make it a little faster.
The reel seat I am going with is a small full well grip, and American Tackle Triangle Window seat:

[Image: IMG_2143.jpg]

The Blank is a beautiful light green made by T.L. Johnson rods. It is a 7'6" two piece 4/5.
I went with a Black and Orange Classic Twist thread capped with Black Silk.

[Image: IMG_2147.jpg]

Still waiting for the H & H snake guides to show up.

Cork and winding check came from Fish Tech.
[signature]
looks awesome so far sis.. now.. you are doing this or is it a family project?? :-).. either way I cant wait to see the final product... Im sure it will look awesome.. :-)

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
Okay, now I've done it! Mojo noticed I was catching on to this guide wrapping (plus I use my fly tying magnifier and light ) that he handed me his.
So. on mine, I am waiting for the guides to get here, but I got the hook keep and the stripping guide wrapped. I could do the tip top, maybe later.
I wrapped the Ferrule connection with White Silk and no color preserver. It will go clear with the varnish:

[Image: IMG_2156.jpg]

Now on his rod, I am using a Goldish SILK and a Claret tag.

[Image: IMG_2159.jpg]

Got 3 guides, the stripping guide and the hook keep done on his.

This is cool!
[signature]
That looks great girl ! [Smile]
Keep it coming.

Peter
[signature]
looking cool so far... now this is your rod.. or one of his.. or both..LOL>. either way that is some awesome looking work...

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
i guess the form i filled out to have a 3 weight made by you got lost in the mail [:p]
[signature]
LOL....On back order too.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3][Image: happy.gif]Hate to spoil the surprise but I heard that if FGD can get it in a stocking it will be hanging on your mantel Xmas morning. Yeah right in your dreams amigo. lol[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
mine is in my office waiting to be used next week on a local lake.. :-)

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
Which lake ? If I may ask.

Peter
[signature]
a choice of three in the area ... Wohlford or Dixon and just remembered there is a small lake 10 minutes from my house that is suppose to have some nice bass and trout in it.. Discovery Lake.. we will see which one sounds good once MacLarry and family get into town...

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3][Image: happy.gif]Looking good Joni. Do you cook too? Oh I forgot you're spoken for. lol[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
Yup! I even do windows......LOL
[signature]
and floors and walls and cabinets and tiling.. and.. LOL>.... arent home projects fun ???

cant wait to see the end result sis.. I know it will look awesome.. I mean you have the mojo to turn to for questions and I know what his work looks like first hand.. :-)

MacFly
[signature]
That is sooooo true. He loves me, he went to a TU meeting last night, when he got home, I had wrapped two more of his guides and color preserve.
Just three more on his rod and the tip top.
My guides came yesterday, but I want to tape them in place and put some line on to make sure they are in the right place (look for a smooth arch)
[signature]
sounds like things are moving along well... as I said.. cant wait to see the end results.. of both of them... :-)

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3][Image: happy.gif]Okay mi amigo - it is about time that you stop standing on the side line and admiring FGD's work and start building your own rod. With winter approaching many clubs & retailers are offering free instructional classes on how to build a rod. All you pay for is the materials. Good for you and good for them.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
now that is a leap of faith..LOL... I can barely tie flies and you want me to build a rod... I do like the idea.. you talk about a total rush.. catching your first fish on a rod you built and a fly you tied.. AWESOME... [Smile]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[Image: scaredworried.gif][Image: dumb.gif]Hold on now mi amigo - you were a navy career man so how safe did you keep us poor civilians? Just kiddin. [Image: bobwink.gif]
[signature]
well ya'll are still here so I guess I did a decent job ... :-)

but I do like the idea you presented .. and it would be a rush for that first fish caught on rod and fly you made yourself... :-)

MacFly [cool]
[signature]