Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Seastar steering problem
I have Seastar hydraulic steering on my 200 hp outboard and it has become sloppy. It used to be real tight but now the steering wheel is loose and the motor does not turn like it should when turning the wheel. I've done some hunting on the internet and it seems to be that the steering helm (pump behind dash) has gone bad. I was wondering if anybody else has had issues with their steering and how they fixed it.
[signature]
I took my boat to A-Rock Propellers in Salt Lake and they had my boat fixed up right the same day I dropped it off. I was low on hydraulic fluid and there was an air bubble in the hydraulic line, that was the cause of my steering issue. They also looked at a lag in the throttle at 1700 rpm's and fixed the timing. They said I should also gain another 3-4 mph with the timing fixed...c'mon soft water. They also have more props than I've ever seen in my life.
[signature]
What did they charge you John?
[signature]
I also took my boat there recently and had them do the wiring on my replacement outboard. I was only charged $100 -- which I thought was a good deal. My only concern with them is that the majority of the boats are left unprotected outside by their business (no locked fenced area). I am just glad to find a local place that will work on old outboards (my replacement is a 1969 Mercury). Lee (Lee's Marine) does great work for a reasonable price, but Hyrum is a long drive from where I live.
[signature]
Where are they located Kent? If I remember correctly your old motor was a 63, so a 69 is a step up, I hope you get some good use out of it. Have you fired it up yet?
[signature]
3526 S West Temple
Salt Lake City, UT 84115
801-281-8288

You have a great memory -- exactly as you stated. No, I haven't fired it up yet, but the mechanic did after he hooked it up and he said that it fired right up and ran great! N.E.T.O. kindly helped me install it one evening, except for the wiring.
[signature]
$180, a screamin' deal if you ask me.
[signature]