Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tampa Bay Area Fishing Report
Tampa Bay Area <br>Fishing Report<br>Captain Charles Walker<br>9/30/01<br>The grouper bite picked up for everyone that cold find fish without red tide. It seems the tropical storm did move the red tide around and break it up somewhat, but it is still blooming and killing fish. There were lots of dead fish on the water last week all the way out 20 miles offshore. I understand they weren’t seen once you got 30 miles out, but that’s a long way to go just to get out of the floating fish. Just because you see dead fish on the surface, that doesn’t mean there is red tide in that area. The fish are killed by the red tide organism and sink for a day or so until they bloat enough to float and then they surface and are moved around by the tide and currents caused by the wind. If you see fish on your bottom machine, stop and fish them even if there are dead fish all around. Some of the reports from inside the Bay have really been good with lots of grouper, snapper, and Spanish mackerel being caught. The Florida Marine Research Institute’s red tide guru tells me that the organism has been very heavy at the mouth of Tampa Bay ever since the tropical storm, but even with that, lots of fish are getting by it and moving into the Bay.<br>On to the bait house reports:<br>Ruskin Bait and Tackle - 813-641-2325 – The grouper are really biting in the Bay this week. Snapper are coming in from the ship’s channel as well. Reds are really stacked up on the flats in this area and the snook are heading back toward the mouth of the little Manatee, lots of them small but fun to catch. Some trout have been caught, but they seem to have moved out of the area or at least slowed done biting.<br>Buddy’s Bait and Tackle on the Courteney Campbell Causeway in Tampa - 813-287-1026 – Reds and snook have been biting around the bridge on live shrimp.<br>Bonnie’s Bait and Tackle in Clearwater - 727-446-2772- Snook were biting fairly well last week in the pass and inshore as well. Some nice cobia were brought in from the Clearwater reef. Lots of grouper were caught offshore in 60 to 70 feet of water. The Indian Rocks reef on the beach is really producing some nice Spanish mackerel and pompano have been caught on the beach. A few sailfish have been caught in about 60 feet of water this week.<br>Trappman’s Bait and Tackle on Gandy Blvd in St. Petersburg - 727-579-1414- Pompano have been biting really well around both bridges. More sheepshead have started showing up and biting on fiddler crabs. Some nice cobia have been brought in this week from the Gandy and a few drum have been caught in the same area. Reds are on the flats around the Island and are readily taking live shrimp or gold spoons.<br>Dogfish Tackle on Redington Beach - 727-392-6644- Flounder are back around the pier and the Spanish mackerel have started biting again as well. Some reds showed up along the beaches and lots of trout are biting under the lights at the pier at night.<br>Don’s Dock on Madeira Beach - 727-391-3223- Offshore the grouper and snapper have been biting when you could find cleaner water with no red tide. The best depths seemed to be 80 to 90 feet. The Spanish mackerel have been biting along the beach and off the jetty. Some flounder, snapper, and other species have been caught off the jetties this week.<br>Pass-a-Grille Bait and Tackle on St. Pete Beach - 727-360-6606- Some nice reds have been caught off our dock this weekend. Our offshore boats have been doing well on mangrove snapper, grouper and Spanish mackerel.<br>The Skyway Fishing Pier - 727-865-0668 and the south Skyway - 941-729-0117- Lots of pompano, Spanish mackerel, grouper and even flounder have been coming over the rail this week. Grunts are biting well as always.<br><br>Folks, feel free to call any of the places in my report for more information, and be sure to tell them that you read about the fishing in their area in Capt. Charlie’s fishing report on the Internet.<br><br>If you want more information about fishing in the Tampa Bay area or wish to book a charter, simply e-mail me at captchas@flfish.com or if you wish to arrange a charter faster, call me at 727-546-7257. Be sure and visit my web site for lots more Tampa Bay Area fishing info at: http://www.floridasaltwater.com .<br><br>Good fishing and tight lines,<br>Capt. Charlie<br>http://www.flfish.com/fl<br><br><br><br>Capt. Charlie Walker<br>http://www.flfish.com