Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
rig for bottom fishing in rocks
[cool][cool]use a three way swivel tie on 2ft light line to bottom loop then weight 2 loop tie on same line your useing then your bait hook or lure,3loop tie to main line and your ready to go fish.if you hang up all you losse is your weight not your fish.
[signature]
this is the same basic set-up i use for steelhead fishing below the dam spillways and fast river curents . better to loose the weights than the fish or the time setting up a new rig !
[signature]
[cool]few men have great ideas,but great men have great ideas,we seem to be on the same wave length.hope you catch a bunch and one for me.james
[signature]
What are them loops you talked about? I'm still very much unfamiliar with most knots. I stick to a few basics. And where can you find them 3-way swivels? I've been lookin' all over the place without any luck.
[signature]
[cool]the loops are on the swevils and you can get them at wal mart.and most sporting goods stores
[signature]
They must be a best seller cuz I can't find them at Walmart, Gander Mountain, Sportsman's Warehouse... or any other place I've spent money at in this area.
[signature]
went looking for you here is what i found hope it helps

Cabela's Three-Way Brass Swivels Item: ID-111936
Price: $4.99

Qty:

SIZE2 4 6 8 1/0 3/0

Three-Way Brass Swivels
These Cabela's three-way brass swivels are perfect for trolling when you need to drop a sinker and keep it away from your bait presentation. Fine-quality solid marine brass.
Sizes: 8, 6 and 4 per 36 and 2, 1/0 and 3/0 per 24.

Back to Swivels / Snaps / Clevises
[signature]
Thanks James! I'll hafta figure out where the nearest Cabela's is. I know they've got a store south of here somewhere. Just never took the time to find it.
[signature]
you can order it online
[signature]
Hi-

I think it is cheap to loose only Lead weights.

I also am avid diver in Okinawa and fisher person.

I have a important thoughts...

People use this type of setup in Okinwa for surf and bottom fishing. The problem is, what happens to all the lead, do you understand that the lead does not degrade? The lead just stays there, think how many weights you may loose when fishing the same place, then think how many fishers fish that place, then multiply that by how long this area has been fished. Soon the bottom is covered in poisonous ugly lead.

The lead also concentrates as a big fish eats a small fish, and a bigger fish eats that fish and then you eat lead when you eat the fish and lead stays in your body. Lead poisoning must be dangerous because there is Lead warning label on american products.In Okinawa when diving, in many areas you see so many big lead weights that make the bottom of the reef look very ugly. Fishermen often are the people who ruin the ecosystems for the fish that they love so much.

I don't mean to stop fishing with lead, but please consider these things when you loose lead weights. Maybe there are other things to try to use, it is not as easy but I sometimes use small rocks wrapped with small cotton string, this is harder for fish to see and it does not poison the ecosystem.
[signature]
[cool]it would take a fish eating several pounds of lead to cause it any harm any the fish would pass it off as waste like it does when it eats other fish , but thank you for your idea i will look into it for you and tell you what i find out.
[signature]
the trouth be said, our comercial industries are the number 1 cause of led and murcury contamination being released in to the environment today,

prior to the 90's our number 1 cause of contamination was fuel consumption and house paint. these nemesis still plaquge us today with their slow release in to the environments flowing through the ground and many buildings still shedding their lead paint and washing in to the sewers thus in to our lakes and streams.

there are two groups who are promoting the lead sinker bans in areas where they are an issue. and they are the stainless steel industries who whan part of the fishing market, and the protrolium companies who do not want to face the blaims of the environmental hazards.
[signature]
[cool]if u want it to stay off bottom use a small float to help it out
[signature]