Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
3wt SAGE it is =)
So I went to my favorite fly shop (Fishermans Spot) to
check out that TFO 3wt they got for my to try.
I cast it outside for some time -it was ok. Then I tried
the Sage Launch 3wt and I was in love immediately.[Smile]
The Sage was on sale for $147.50 so I got it . Also I
got the selective trout II WF line for it on sale for $30.00.
I have a crapy reel that I can use for it until I get something
better.
I can wait to try it out on the water.
Just sharing[Smile]

Peter
[signature]
What TFO did you try?
Can't go wrong with the Launch, but I am cautious now because of the problem I am under with my T3 (a rod that is discontinued).

If you should break it.......what will they send you?

You don't need much in the way of a reel on a 3 weight. I had a PLASTIC reel with an "O" ring for the tension. It was light and small and worked great!
In fact I think Pokey is still using it.

[Image: 13457.jpg]

And a cheap little Pflueger could be sweet.
[signature]
Hi Joni
It was the TFO Professional . I have the 5wt which I like
a lot. But the 3wt just didn't do it for my.

If I brake it, then I will deal with it.
Sage have replaces my bass rod once for a new
one because the fly line rubbed the finish off all the way
to the black blank.[shocked]
That was fishing off the shore and picking up too much
dust and stuff off the ground with the line I guess.

When it comes to reel- what if I catch a big fish on it?
Wouldn't be nice to have a good reel on it with good drag system?
[signature]
The reels I mentioned have fair drags.
All depends on what you want and can justify.
I have a (no longer made) Battenkill LA "I" on my 2 weight, but only because I got it dirt cheap.
I don't think I have heard the reel scream, but I did land an 18" with it.

Allot of old timers love those Pfluegers. Nostalgic look.

As far as the TFO, I think I would have to agree that a Pro would not be a good choice in a 3. It is a medium action and more pronounced in a litter rod. Specially when the Sage is more on the Fast side.

And remember, they still are making the Bass line. I know I am in trouble if I break my LL as I know others that have and did not care for the replacement.
[signature]
Sounds good.
Thank you Joni

Peter
[signature]
Peter,

What length rod is the Launch and did they have any more?

I'm in the market for a new 3 wt. I broke my 3/4 weight and would rather apply the repair fee to a new one than pay the $40 or $50 to get it fixed as I don't really like it and almost never used it. My 2 wt is only 6'6" and too short when there's room to cast because it doesn't mend well.

I'm looking for a 10' 3 wt for european nymphing and eying the Greys Streamflex. Echo is also coming out with a 10 and a 10'6" in Janary (saw them at Marriott's Fair this weekend).

However, they are probably too long for anything but wide open small rivers so I think I'm stuck buying two 3 wts (as you say, you can never have too many rods).

Jim
[signature]
I don't know. I keep getting and now building rods, but I think you can have too many. I now have rods that were my favorite, just sitting.
I find excuses NOT to use them like, they don't make this anymore.......THEN WHY HAVE IT!!!!!![sly]

I think people just need what they use and I am so guilty of splurging.

The idea of a 10' is appealing, but in all honesty, there are really no waters around here to benefit from with a 10' 3 weight. 5 weight and larger, yes.

My 7'9" 2 weight is awkward in some streams.
[signature]
This is Sage 3wt 8'6'', 4 pc. I just could not say no to
that price. Even on Cabelas sale its $190.00.
So at $ 147.50 it was a easy choice for me. Im sure that
at some point I will get also 10 footer and 7'6'' but for
now its just have to do.[Smile]
Call them and see if they have some more.

P.S: it also comes with hard tube.

Peter
[signature]
Back in the day I kept everything. Now whatever I don't use I just get rid of. Sell, give away, donate. Too much
stuff to keep and no room.

peter
[signature]
I have too, but what if that stuff is Orvis Top of the lines, Winston top of the lines.....etc.
Aren't going to get your money back although you won't loose it all either...just interesting, I have a BIIX in the corner while I use a blank I built for MAYBE a third of the price of the BIIx. But, the BIIx is still one of a kind.

I do like nice stuff too[cool]
[signature]
Yeah, I know what you saying. Sometimes its hard to
let go. But when it comes to the good stuff, I keep that
as well.[Wink]

Peter
[signature]
I am sooo hopelessly out of control!!!!
[signature]
lol, we all are in one way or another [Wink]
[signature]
lol sis.. as Peter said we are all hopeless at times... I dont have anywhere near the collection you all have but that doesnt mean I dont keep looking...

btw.. if any of you want to donate your excess gear to a worthy cause.. PM me and Ill give you my address.. that way you know its gone to a nice home.. MINE !! LOL...

yesterday while I was out on the ocean trying to find some sharks to catch on a fly I was talking to the manager of my local fly shop and he said he has a nice echo 3 wt for 170.00.. I was soooooooooooooo tempted to hand him my credit card and pick it up on the way home.. [laugh]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
I agree that it doesn't make too much sense to have rods you never use although I save a couple of those for visitors/friends learning the sport.

I just added up my rods and now have 11 with a lot of overlap in line weights but with different actions (I won 4 of them and built 2 very inexpensive ones) and have used all but one this year. Somehow I still feel like I have some holes in my arsenal. As I'm branching out into new areas, I'm thinking I would like some more specialized rods for bass, czech nymphing, and larger saltwater as well as a longer small rod for the many small rivers/fish we have around here.

Part of the trouble is learning what I like. I'm starting to get a feel for the various actions available and that will probably be the reason I'll get rid of some of the rods I now own.

Jim
[signature]
oh I agree completely.. one of the things I like about fishing.. and fly fishing in particular is that I am always learning something new.. figure out something new.. etc.. its like I told FG recently.. I finally got the chance to try out my mojo rod and I love the feel and action of that rod.. I was roll casting easily and was impressed how comfortable it fet with it being 10' 6" rod.. dont get me wrong.. I still really like my sage rod.. but this switch rod is really cool.. :-)

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
There you go again adding to my list.

There were two people demonstrating switch rods at Marriott's this weekend and they sure looked like they cast well. I haven't even started thinking about them.

They did make a good point that as we get older and the shoulder starts hurting more (already happening for me), they relieve a lot of pressure. They didn't really recommend using them in a float tube however due to the limited space. I'm going to see if I can cast my rods with a fighting butt using the two handed technique.

Jim
[signature]
sorry for the add to your arsenal but I had been thinking of a switch or spey rod for awhile since I tend to fish from the shore .. FG and Mojo had suggested using a switch rod mainly with roll casting... so Mojo suggested a rod kit and then graciously offered to do the work for me.. Id of been a fool to turn it down.. and let me be honest.. the work he did on that rod is awesome... and I think I have a new favorite rod... :-)

just curious.. who was demonstrating the switch rods and which ones were they demoing... ??

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
Simon Gainsworth and Tim Rajeff (Echo) were doing the demos. Not sure what Simon was using but Tim was using one of his new rods. I think he's calling them the SR series.

Jim
[signature]
Sharks on the fly !!! wow. Tell as some more about
that big dady , please.

Peter
[signature]