Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cleaning equipment
I found this information on the Utah DWR site.
Hot water (140 degrees) will kill all of the nasties, but I think that this KCL wash will be easier for me, and I think that it won't harm materials like bleach would.

Potassium chloride (KCL) solutions in concentrations of 200 ppm can be made by thoroughly mixing one teaspoon of dry KCL salt crystals in two gallons of water. KCL salt crystals are available at stores such as Home Depot and water softener suppliers. Morton Salt Company offers KCL in 40-pound bags. Do NOT use any other kind of salt or solution.

Individual divers might also use such solutions instead of hot water.

An effective mussel-killing solution β€” for each ballast tank β€” is two gallons of a 200 parts per million (ppm) solution of potassium chloride (KCL). Despite the fact that it will kill mussels, this solution is harmless to humans and to the environment. It also has extremely low corrosion characteristics and has been used in the oil well drilling industry for decades due to these characteristics A chloride concentration of 250 ppm is allowable for drinking water and the solution is below that level.
Potassium chloride salt crystals are used in water softener systems; people drink and bath in such water. Conservative estimates of potassium and chloride concentration in Lake Powell with usage as indicated above, indicate concentrations of 1 part per trillion. That is far below possible environmental
harm. In fact, KCL solution was used in Virginia to completely kill all zebra mussels in a quarry. β€œIn dramatic contrast, other aquatic wildlife including turtles, fishes, aquatic insects, and snails continue to thrive in the quarry.”
[signature]
Scuffy Fly on the Idaho forum said this:
salts such as potassium chloride do no kill new zealand mudsnails which is one of the major invasive specials that fly fisherman in Utah should also be concerned with eliminating. I know the Green River is infested but I don't know what else is. I believe that Whirling desease spores are unaffected by salts also.

Using the hot water at 140 degrees for the longer than the recommended times which vary from 1 minute for none porous surfaces to more than 30 minutes for dense porous materials like felt and webbing. It has been determined that NZMS have been killed with 130 degree water for 5 minutes of exposure.

People who fish mutiple locations in a day or succeeding days need to consider using different sets of equipment or using chemical solutions to facilitate effective means of killing invasives.

dB
disinfect your wading equipment. wash boat. disinfect livewells / sumps, wash ur dog

Guess it was too good to be true[frown]
[signature]
I don't know how it got on the Idaho forum.

I was replying to this thread.
[signature]