Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Grand Junction area fishing info request
Hello to my neighbors in Colorado. I am from Salt Lake area. My work bring me to Grand Junction a few times a month for a day layover and I want to fish next year while here.

Any all info on Fishing the Colorado in the Glenwood area would be greatly appreciated. Info such as access to river, and what to use as bait, fly rods or spincast ect.

Any similiar info about other lakes or rivers within an hour or two of Grand junction would be appreciated also.

Thanks for all your input.

Mark
[signature]
WOW, 135 views and no one in Colorado cares to share some info on fishing the Grand Junction Glenwood area?

If someone put out a request like that for Utah info, there would be a couple dozen replies.

Interesting.
[signature]
yea its like that here, which is why i stopped posting here unless im at home fishing (pueblo). i know you have the colorado river, and the gunnison, with morrow,crystal, and blue mesa not to far away, but dont over look Hallenbeck, and Junita res's. if you have the time (and skill) head to the taylor..... state record rainbow lives right below the dam, but hes been caught like three or 4 times now so ive heard.
[signature]
I don't know Grand Junction at all.

But there is a lot of obvious public access to the Colorado River in the Glenwood area, and some between GJ and Glenwood, but I'm not as familiar with it. You can fly fish, bait fish, or spin fish, whichever you prefer.

Rifle Gap and Harvey Gap reservoirs have trout, pike, perch, and a few walleyes and bass. Both ice fish well for trout and perch with some big pike, too.

Grand Mesa is covered with lakes, but I've never fished it.
[signature]
Hey thanks guys I appreciate what you have offered. I bet the Grand Meas fishes like our Uintas. I will just have to take a drive to Glenwood canyon and scope it out the access. Thanks for the input for the other lakes. When I'm there I have a 27 hr layover so I can go as far as a couple hours to find some good fishing.

Thanks again
[signature]
if you have that much of a lay over go fish Blue Mesa
[signature]
[quote kochanut]if you have that much of a lay over go fish Blue Mesa[/quote]

What is Blue Mesa close to? How far from Grand Junction?

Thanks for the reply

Mark
[signature]
Driving directions to Blue Mesa, Cimarron, CO 81220
98.1 mi – about 2 hours 38 mins
[url "javascript:void(0)"][Image: iw_minus.gif][Image: iw_plus.gif][/url]Suggested routes
[url "javascript:void(0)"][/url]

[Image: icon_greenA.png]
Grand Junction, CO
[Image: camera_dr1.png]
1.Head north on S 13th St toward Interstate 70 Business Loop W/Ute Ave[Image: camera_dr1.png]
351 ft
2.Take the 1st left onto Interstate 70 Business Loop W/Ute Ave[Image: camera_dr1.png]
0.7 mi
3.Turn left at S 5th St[Image: camera_dr1.png]
1.0 mi
4.Continue onto US-50 E[Image: camera_dr1.png]
60.0 mi
5.Turn left at E Main St/US-50 E
Continue to follow US-50 E
[Image: camera_dr1.png]
33.1 mi
6.Turn right at Co Rd 50B[Image: camera_dr1.png]
1.3 mi
7.Slight right[Image: camera_dr1.png]
1.8 mi
[Image: icon_greenB.png]
Blue Mesa
Cimarron, CO 81220
[url "javascript:void(0)"][#0000cc][/#0000cc][/url]
[signature]
[quote kochanut]Driving directions to Blue Mesa, Cimarron, CO 81220 [/quote]

Hey thanks, ya the big res. between Montrose and Gunnison. I have driven through there a couple times. Never knew the name.

Thanks for the input.

[Smile]
[signature]
Sorry about the late reply. I don't check in here very often. But I do know a little about the area. The colorado river has quite some pretty good fishing access from glenwood down to canyon creek. Spin fishing and fly fishing are effective for browns and rainbows, mostly 14 to 17 inches with a few nice ones in the mix.
Rifle and Harvey gaps (near rifle/silt) are lousy with perch and stocker sized rainbows. Both of those lakes also produce some nice pike and are under ice right now.
You also have the Roaring Fork, Crystal and the Frying pan rivers. I don't have much on access for the fork or the crystal but I know they get fished and produce some nice ones. As for the pan, it has a lot of access and a lot of people fishing it. But if you are into waiting in line to fish a hole the area just below the dam of rudei res has some pigs. That should keep you busy for a few days. When I have more time I may post more.
[signature]
I stopped by the Colorado board to see what was going on over here nothing hmm. This time of year you should take the ice gear, There is Vega reservior all the mesa lakes of course the colorado river. South of GJ you got Ridgeway lake good for Kokes and trout and I think you can fly fish the river there if you can get through the snow, crawford lake and some others best thing to do is stop by the Sportsmans warehouse by the mall they update the fishing report since the colorado DOW doesnt after a certain time of year up Glenwood, Rifle way. Rifle gap,harvey gap, frying pan river artificial only I think. I will check with a couple friends up there and see whats been going on and get back to you. Blue Mesa is one of my favorite places around there. I will be heading that way after the first of the year to do some ice fishing cant wait!
[signature]
[quote mackaddict]Sorry about the late reply. I don't check in here very often. But I do know a little about the area. The colorado river has quite some pretty good fishing access from glenwood down to canyon creek. Spin fishing and fly fishing are effective for browns and rainbows, mostly 14 to 17 inches with a few nice ones in the mix.
Rifle and Harvey gaps (near rifle/silt) are lousy with perch and stocker sized rainbows. Both of those lakes also produce some nice pike and are under ice right now.
You also have the Roaring Fork, Crystal and the Frying pan rivers. I don't have much on access for the fork or the crystal but I know they get fished and produce some nice ones. As for the pan, it has a lot of access and a lot of people fishing it. But if you are into waiting in line to fish a hole the area just below the dam of rudei res has some pigs. That should keep you busy for a few days. When I have more time I may post more.[/quote]

Thank you so much for all the info. That helps me as to where to look on the map.
[signature]
[quote FULLMOONFISHIN]I stopped by the Colorado board to see what was going on over here nothing hmm. This time of year you should take the ice gear, There is Vega reservior all the mesa lakes of course the colorado river. South of GJ you got Ridgeway lake good for Kokes and trout and I think you can fly fish the river there if you can get through the snow, crawford lake and some others best thing to do is stop by the Sportsmans warehouse by the mall they update the fishing report since the colorado DOW doesnt after a certain time of year up Glenwood, Rifle way. Rifle gap,harvey gap, frying pan river artificial only I think. I will check with a couple friends up there and see whats been going on and get back to you. Blue Mesa is one of my favorite places around there. I will be heading that way after the first of the year to do some ice fishing cant wait![/quote]

Thanks for the info. help me a lot. Not sure if I will take Ice gear or not. Wont have the 4x4 with me and my little car I keep at the hotel does not handle snow well. I may just spend the few winter months checking it all out and get ready for spring. Will be ice fishing here at home in Utah when not at work.

thanks again

mark

[Smile]
[signature]
I too am down in Grand Junction on a weekly basis as well as MaDfisher55 (work at the same place- imagine that). I have only hit the Grand Mesa this last year, so I thank those for the information as well. Keep it coming for I too would like to know more of the fishing opportunities in the area. If it is reasonable I may get a season permit and fish more often, that is if lots of fishing near by to keep me going for the year.[cool]
[signature]
Sorry, I just joined this forum and seen the requests. There are quite a few places to go around here. i wasn't sure if you were coming in the winter or the summer. Obviously if it is the summer then you can go 50-100 places. Just let me know what kind of fishing you are after. If it is the winter time , there is still a gob of places to go but I need to know what kind of fishing you are after. Do you want ice fishing? Rifle Gap or Harvey Gap. Do you want fly fishing. Probably the Frying pan is your best bet. Oh, and the mesa is good for both summer and winter. I know it is kind of vague but I need more information.
[signature]
I am here year round. I come down weekly. Right now for the next 6 months I will be here on monday/tuesdays. As it starts to warm up more I will most likely want to do a little more fishing here myself. I am a multi species angler myself and MaDfisher55 is just getting into the multispecies thing from trout only.
[signature]
What company do both of you work for?
[signature]
Amtrak
[signature]
Thanks for the reply. Albinotrout and I will have lots of questions as to where and what and how. I can't wait to try the all the Mesa Lakes.

Until then.

Thanks again

[Smile]
[signature]