Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ice forming
When ice starts to form on the lake,does it start on the edges or out in the middle? Just an fyi formy ice debates.. [bobhappy]
beleive it or not, none of the above.

when ice begins to form, it forms on the entire lake at the same time.

note, currents and wind plays a factor as to what you will see.

the same is true for when the ice thaws. but here is the kicker on that, if you loose 5 inches of ice in the middle of the lake, you loose 5 inches along the shore line, this can leave the impression that the edge of the lake thaws faster than the middle. The ice is only thinner there, so when you see the shore showing you realy need to take heed when out on the middle of the lake.

a note on this too, just the same when ice freezes, wind and current makes thawing and breaking faster, so the back sides of the lake that catch most of the wind will be the last to freeze and first to thaw.

one other note, when you find areas with black muck bottoms, this usualy means we have some thermal action going on here and a good chance of spring action as well. This makes treading lakes in mid sub freezing temps just as dangerous if not more than first and last ice because no one expects to find soft spots.
[signature]
WoW that was a great response. Thanks for the info my friend. I've only been ice fishin now for @ three seasons.I've got to say,its my FAVORITE its such a blast. My buddy and I caught acouple kokes a couple seasons ago. But haven't had much success since. Do you have any info that can help me land more of em? Thanks for you advice and help. [bobhappy]
[signature]
just my exsperince..not an expert..from what ive seen over the years...the shallower the watter the quicker it frezzes also the faster it unthaws..the deeper the lake the latter in the year itll frezze over..but will also be the last to lose ice..opinion
[signature]
Got ice here in Utah, fished Scofeild on Friday, (4") and slayed the trout, lots of babies, but a few good ones, I have officially started my ice season for 2009-2010. I hope all my trips are as good as this one was, 60 fish day!
[signature]
Hey nice to hear the ice has thickened..SWEET!! I'm close to Causey and love to try my luck for the kokes.. haven't had much luck but the excitement to just try is fun in itself. LOL. ANY advice or pointers you mind sharing? I would like to try porcupine this year too. [bobhappy]
[signature]
I wished I could help you with the kokes, but I have never seen one out side of a picture, we dont have them in my area.

we use sweedish pimples for trout here, you may want to try one of those,

we have our rainbows, splake and lake trout and browns. we find them in and around our deapest holes year round in the lakes.

there is this one jig that looks like a bent peice of sheetmetal, cant remember the name of it right off hand, and it dosnt look like it would catch anything, but it works suprizingly well. "ask around about it, I know what it is called, but right now my mind has drawn a blank.

also some of the guys here jig with spoons of various sizes. they are not just for casting and trolling, [Wink] tip them off with a peice of dead minnow or shrimp or even wax worm.
[signature]
on that bent metal jig, I think dipsy diver.. I could be wrong tho'.
[signature]