Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Skim ice on the lakes
The ice is just starting to form on our local inland lakes and ponds here in Mid-Michigan .
You can plow threw it with a boat and get a last few casts out but I wouldn't try it in a few days from now .
Who has their hard water fishing gear ready ?
[signature]
we actualy had a quarter inch of ice on the still waters this morning down here in the pontiac area...

not enuff for me to fire up the quad but tis enuff to give me an ich in me britches. [:p]

I pulled out my ice fishing tackle box this morning, I havent looked in it yet, afraid of what I wont see in there and find my self having to make another trip back to the toy store. [shocked][laugh][sly][cool]
[signature]
which reminds me, wall mart, k mart, meijers and a few other "supermarket" type stores have little if any ice fishing gear at all.

is it global worming or is it global depression? we are all intitled to our opinions right or wrong, but I am guessing that the novis ice angler wont be fishing this winter.
[signature]
im hopeing youll give me a report when first fishable ice gets on houghton,,my gears ready..will wait for the report
[signature]
are we talking bout a BFT get to gether?
I'll gas up my auger.

you should have good ice up there by the time it shows up here on my end. We had a quarter inch yesterday morn, the wind broke it all up but there was ice, 20* at day break this morn [Smile]

I am so looking forward to ice fishing this year, only got out 4 times last year.

they had snow in new orleans yesterday [:p]
[signature]
im game..first and last ice on houghton..i try to never miss..same eith first ice on hamlin..lake..open for other ideas..gotta chase them gills.asap
[signature]
its been 25 years since I last hit tipup town,

sure would like to do that this year if weather conditions are willing. or any time around that time if we have solid ice.

I have a quad and trailor and gas auger, and I can hual all the equipment anyone wants to bring out if they dont want to drive out on the ice.

what I dont have is a location to fish or know where to stage the truck for that matter. "leave that and the actual date to go on a pm only"

any one got an old army tent 15x20 or bigger so we can set up ice camp? we could sit out for a cople days like a bunch of crazys. [:p]

I also have a nice protable charcoal grill that can handle the cooking for half dozen or so people.

if it is something we want to do, we can work out the details on what every one wants to do..

houghton is a two hour drive for me.
[signature]
when where ..... does it have to be houghton?
[signature]
iknow iys a long trip there we always shared hotel room if we stayed over..nevertried staying in shanty idea...did use a pickup camper on portage lake once but there was 3 foot of ice...any ideas.anybody with ideas be free to add..doesnt have to be houghton..i just love the big gills that lake produces..got one 13 inches out of there 3 years ago..any other lake ideas are welcomed
[signature]
the when is realy more important to me than the where, tho I dont realy want to drive more than three hours to get there.

the when for me is good around the last two weeks of jan to the first couple weeks of feb.

this is when we should have the best ice. well one would think, you know michigan. [crazy]

I do like gills, especialy the biguns, I am not afraid to target perch crappie walleye and pike as well..
[signature]
I got a couple people at work that live up at houghton , i'll ask for some info .
i'de call the bait stores but ya' know what they always say "there bighting heavy and hard " which meens , bring your money suckers I haven't seen a fish in weeks!!
[signature]
lol aint that the truth,

but ya know, I got one for them, I tell people about the bait shop that said come and get it and when I get there, there aint nothin to get....[:p]
[signature]