Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Whitefish Extravaganza -- 12/4/09
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3][#002850]Mission accomplished … two limits of Bear Lake white fish for the smokers.

Wildcat94 took me up on my offer to try to catch some whitefish at Bear Lake today. We left early this morning but since this was the first time we had ever met, we got talking to much and wasnt paying attention to the road. I missed an exit putting us 45 minutes behind schedule.[/#002850][/size][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3][#002850][/#002850][/size][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3][#002850]It was a minus – 7 degrees going through Logan canyon and + 6 degrees when we got to Garden City. We arrived at the 1st point launch ramp on the east side of Bear Lake only to find that my boat motor linkage was frozen in forward so the motor wouldn’t start. After a while of soaking it in the warm lake water, it thawed enough to shift into neutral allowing me to start the motor. (Note to myself … always leave gear shift in neutral.)

After getting the motor started and the boat launched, we headed to a location that BearLakeFishGuy had suggested. Not knowing which lures would be best or just what technique to use, it took us a while to figure things out. By about 9:30, we only had six whites in the bucket. I was hoping to be limited out by then and out fishing for macks. But of course, we had a lot to learn. And it wasn’t till 2:00 PM, and after a lot of perseverance, did we each have our 10 fish each limit.

[inline Brice-Blody-444.gif]

[inline Brice-white-in-net-444.gif]

[inline Coots-nice-white-444.gif]

Once we had limited out, we decided to do a hi-5 and reward ourselves with some mack/cut fishing. Long story short … no macks … no cuts … not even a bite. But now that I have a much better idea of how to fish for Bear Lake whitefish, I think I could actually limit out by 10:00 AM and spend the rest of the day fishing for the big boys. Maybe next year.

Here are some of the things Wildcat94 and I learned today about catching those BL whitefish:

>> Location, location, location … the rocky shore line between First Point and Second Point. See the attached map of Bear Lake. Or buddy up with BLFG and have him point you in the right direction.

>> Anchor up in 7-8 feet of water.

>> S L O W retrieves … about 4-5 seconds per reel revolution.

>> Let your lures gently bounce along the rocks. Yup … lots of snags … plan on it. If you are getting snags, you are in the zone.

>> The whitefish hit your lures “on the drop”. So, as you are slowly retrieving your lure, drop your rod tip often.

>> Tip your lures with a small 1/2 to 3/4 inch piece of worm. We found that a worm any longer than 3/4 inch would cause lots of short strike misses. Once we shortened up our worm, we got better hook sets.

>> Here are the lures that worked best for us today. The little tube with the red speckle was the best. The lead head is 1/16 oz. and it casted quite nicely all day even in the extreme cold air.

[inline Lures-for-White-Fish-444.gif]

Speaking of cold air, we were quite surprised how comfortable we were all day in such cold temperatures. We were well prepared for the cold and it paid off.

The water temps varied from 39 on the east side to 42 out over the rock pile.

Thanks to BLFG for his good tips and pointers.

[inline BLFG-and-friend-444.gif]

Well, I will be busy filleting fish tomorrow, brining them tomorrow night, smoking them in my smoker Sunday, and snacking on them til they are gone.

[inline Nice-stringer-444.gif]

The weather, the fishing, and the company were all great today. I would love to do it again and add some cuts and lakers to the catch next time.
[/#002850][/size][/font]
[signature]
Nice report, glad you got the motor going and you did not have to paddle to your location[Wink].
That is a nice string of fish for the smoker.
What is a good smoker? (for meat that is),
Thanks for fishing tip's
[signature]
Great report and pictures Ralph, sounds like you guys had a fun time with the whites, too bad the cutts & macks did not want to play.
From the reports on the Wy board, it sounds like the burbot are ready play under the ice.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Nice report. Sorry I was unable to join you guys. Been fighting off the cold weather crud since I went tubing with Wildcat94 on Tuesday. He's a good fishing buddy and glad you guys got together.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
TubeDude, Wildcat94 and I talked a lot about you yesterday. This whitefish fishing requires a bit of "finessing" and is right up your alley with the tackle and technique. Sure too bad you were unable to make it yesterday. I just got over a BAD cold that lasted four weeks. Hope you do better.
[signature]
WH2 ... Hope I can talk you into a guided "ice fishing for burbot" trip this year.
[signature]
Coach ... get with me offline and I will give you a crash course in smokers. Or, you may want to go over to the [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/forum/Utah_Fishing_Forum_C55/gforum.cgi?forum=112"]Off Topic Board[/url] and post your question there. No doubt you will get some good feedback from the guys there.
[signature]
Ralph, I remember the first time that you introduced me to Bear Lake Fishing . I remember that it was a very cold 6 degrees went we launched and I thought that was cold, you are my hero for braving that weather.
I'm glad that you had a good day of Whitefish fishing, to bad the Macks and Cutt's wouldn't co-operate. Maybe next year I'll have to get up there and let you Scool me once again my friend. Good job guys.
[signature]
Well, here is the end result … my prized smoked and vacuum packed Bear Lake whitefish. I will be getting some over to Wildcat94 and the rest will accompany me on my fishing trips.

I am always disappointed in how much less actual end product there is compared to that heavy string of fish I started with. But then again, I have had several helpings already.

[inline Smooked-Whitefish-444.gif]
[signature]