Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Park Rapids/Nevis Area Lakes...
I've fished in the Park Rapids/Nevis, MN area for many of the past, nearly 50 years... but it's now been three or four years since our last trip. Since then, some of our favorite resorts have either closed or gone private. [frown] So I thought I might check HERE to see what the "Minnesota Forum-Guys" think...

My favorite targeted-species is Large Mouth Bass. On the other hand, I sure don't mind when a northern attacks my lure instead!!! [Smile]

I've enjoyed success on Little Mantrap, Big Mantrap, and the Crow Wing chain over the years... but I believe the last resort (Pine Bay) on Spider Lake (north of Nevis) has closed.

I have my own small boat, so although I prefer to stay at the chosen lake/resort, it IS feasible to try lakes that have public access. So my questions are:

1) If you were vacationing in the PR/Nevis area in early SEPTEMBER, what lake would be your first/top pick for LMB (size AND quantity)? Bonus points for lakes that would ALSO have decent pike/muskie/SMB!!

2) Does anyone know if there are now any resorts left on Spider Lake?

3) "Back in the day", Skunk Lake was a noted LMB lake, do you know if it is STILL a top LMB producer? (Public access via Niawa Star "Resort".)

Thanks in advance!

Bob
[signature]
Try the Crowwing chain !

[signature]
Thanks for your reply... having fished the area for nearly 50-years, have spent MANY vacations on the CW chain! <lol> Even spent honeymoon on 4-3-2-1!! [Wink]

Have fished 4-3-2-1, 5-6-7, and 8-9-10. Sometimes good, and sometimes... well, could have been better. (BUT, was probably ME, not the fish!) I do like the chain because of the dam-system; as a result, the lakes enjoy a fairly consistent water-level.

So, is the CW chain your recommendation for September LMB? What about Spider, Skunk, Little/Big Mantrap, the "Crooked Lakes", Belle Taine, etc.? Any others?

I'd also prefer that there is a resort ON the lake (Spider/Skunk?), but - since I'd have my own boat - I could also fish it if it it has public access.

Thanks!
[signature]
Talk to me before hand and maybe we could hook up , I only live about 45 min away , but fish mostly to the west !

[signature]
USUALLY go up with my wife... just the two of us. But, I'll certainly consider your offer! [Image: happy.gif]

September is a transition month for the area. I'm normally a "bank-beater" (resort boat, no sonar, etc.). Have come up that 1st or 2nd-week and found plenty of pads, etc. to cast to. But have also come up (like the last time - 2007; fishing 8/9/10 CW), and found most of the pads etc. dead or dying.

But, it's certainly BEAUTIFUL up there, then! Hardwoods in their glorious colors, very little "lake traffic"... LOVE IT then. Just trying to optimize my chances for a good LMB trip... with the occasional big pike thrown in for good measure! [Wink]

Bob
Omaha, NE
[signature]
[quote Flagmanonice]Talk to me before hand and maybe we could hook up , I only live about 45 min away , but fish mostly to the west !

.[/quote]

West of Park Rapids? How [font "Arial"][#000000][size 4]far [/size][/#000000][/font]west? All the way to Detroit Lakes...?? Asking because, in between and north of Hwy. 34, there are some lakes that HAVE caught my attention... i.e. Many Points Lake.

Just curious... and again, if you still feel that the CW chain is the best for LMB... or perhaps somewhere "close-by"?

Feel free to PM me if you prefer...

Thanks!
[signature]
I grew up just west of D.L , but live in Wadena now ! Theres many lakes that we could fish for bass and pike.
Northeast of P.R theres a ton of lakes to choose from , I think you and the wife , and me could find one that you would like ( I have 2 boats on a trailers ) plus I work for a boat company called Lund , that maybe we could try out a demo !!

Keep in touch , Flagmanonice

[signature]
DL & Wadena were always on our "travel-to-town" destinations during our vacations. Good times and many fond memories!

From the Perham, to Park Rapids, to Nevis... I've fished a lot of lakes in those areas over the years - ALSO many, many fond family memories... that are still "re-visited" during our family get-togethers.

However, when the total fishing experience for the year was a result of that ONE week of fishing, the success was mostly due to weather and luck. I'm hoping that in 2010, I can actually PLAN on where to stay to increase our chances of success. I'm still not a good fisherman by any measure, but hope that even though I'm nearing 60, there's still time to learn! [Wink]

Bob

[quote Flagmanonice]I grew up just west of D.L , but live in Wadena now ! Theres many lakes that we could fish for bass and pike.
Northeast of P.R theres a ton of lakes to choose from , I think you and the wife , and me could find one that you would like ( I have 2 boats on a trailers ) plus I work for a boat company called Lund , that maybe we could try out a demo !!

Keep in touch , Flagmanonice

.[/quote]
[signature]